Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Plan B", or why my mother thinks I've failed already! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, my mum goes to work every day and leaves a list of things I have to do every day.

Today on the list, 'Work out plan B for university' appeared.

OK, given that my insurance university offers the same grades as my firm, fair enough (the university I applied to that potentially offered lower grades than the others was the only one I got rejected from... oops). It might be in order.

The thing is, I don't want to go anywhere else. I've got my heart set on going to Nottingham and there's no way I'm going anywhere else. The thing is, if I don't go this year, I'll be 20 when I'm a fresher and that weirds me out a bit. Especially as I'm already a year behind, having repeated year 12 for medical reasons.

So, what the hell should my 'plan B' be?, and does anyone else's parents think they're going to fail?

ReputationRep:
    Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    why don't you want to go anywhere else but Nottingham, and if this was the case then why do you have an insurance choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameh27)
    So, my mum goes to work every day and leaves a list of things I have to do every day.

Today on the list, 'Work out plan B for university' appeared.

OK, given that my insurance university offers the same grades as my firm, fair enough (the university I applied to that potentially offered lower grades than the others was the only one I got rejected from... oops). It might be in order.

The thing is, I don't want to go anywhere else. I've got my heart set on going to Nottingham and there's no way I'm going anywhere else. The thing is, if I don't go this year, I'll be 20 when I'm a fresher and that weirds me out a bit. Especially as I'm already a year behind, having repeated year 12 for medical reasons.

So, what the hell should my 'plan B' be?, and does anyone else's parents think they're going to fail?
    No, I wish they did though, it would be better than them thinking that I'm going for sure

ReputationRep:
    clearing, would u rather go to nottingham to do anything or do psychology somewhere else? cos you'll probably be able to fidn a place doing something at nottingham, but psy is very over subscribed as it is, so thats unlikely

my dad doesnt think i'll fail...he just doesn't see why they wouldnt let you in anyway, "...isn't it up to you where to go?" "well they'll know you've tried your best" etc
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    my mum was convinced during exams that i was going to fail. she wouldnt let me out which made me want to do less work. but now shes chilled out and im the one whos convinced ive failed! i say plan B should be clearing and if that doesnt work, get a job for a couple of months and then use the money to go travelling or something and apply again for next year!

ReputationRep:
    Everytime someone asks my mum about me and what uni I'm going to etc etc she always has to stick in 'if she gets the grades' in on the end. I hate it, makes me think I've failed before I even have my results.

I have no plan B. I don't want to think about it tbh as I'm going to be devestated if I don't get into uni.

At our school, if you don't get the grades, I think they sort you out on results day and give you all your options. I'm just going to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    I'm was in a simlar position to a few days back.
    I've got an offer of ABB from Bristol and had one from Portsmouth at CCC, I've just got Portsmouth to release me as I've built such an awesome picture in my head of Bristol I can't see myself anywhere else. If Bristol does go tits up I'll be able to head straight into clearing and see if any other Unis take my fancy.
    If I miss ABB by a marginal difference, I'll reapply in October and take some resits in January. Then I'll spend untill July making money and August travelling.
    I think this is the sort of back up plan you Mum is expecting.
    I wouldn't complain about your mum thinking you're going to fail. My mum thinks I'm going to fail, but my dad thinks I'll be getting AAA. It gets kinda awkward sometimes when we discuss my future :p:

ReputationRep:
    I just chucked an insurance in because I thought I had to. Basically, if I don't get AAB I'm screwed! Hahaha.

Mmmm, my mum has already said she's sick of having me in the house and has basically said she wants me to go to uni THIS year. Ahh well.

My dad thinks I'll get in, my mother doesn't. She says she's only being 'realistic'. THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    You've kind of limited yourself now. I did a similar thing with Southampton uni and I need AAA for firm, ABB for insurance and If I fail to get in I'll reapply very soon in October and resit a couple. Then I can work my ass off to make up for it by having loads of money. Might go on another cruise (just got back from a 2 week cruise I saved up for for 18 months)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    What's wrong with being 20? I'll be 19, almost 20, when I start uni.

ReputationRep:
    Not completely relevant to your question, but I was a 20-year-old fresher and it wasn't weird at all. What would be weird is to be a 17-year-old fresher like one of my friends.

ReputationRep:
    I think the weird thing is that all the friends I went to secondary school with have just finished their first years at uni. I changed schools and so all my friends at this school will be going in September. It just seems weird because I'll end up being so far behind everyone else, in my own mind. But then again, that's just me. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

(Original post by fallen angel9)
    No, I wish they did though, it would be better than them thinking that I'm going for sure
    :ditto::s:

ReputationRep:
    My mum keeps telling me "Whatever will be will be"

Reeeeeeeeeeeeal comforting that one

ReputationRep:
    Ahh dont worry My mum is doing it to, in fact she done it with my AS's and GCSE's. I know it stressfull but I find the best thing to do is ignore them and take things as they come

ReputationRep:
    My Dad keeps saying things to me like "So, what if you don't get it?", "What would you want to do if you can't get in?" etc Which is a bit dis-heartning tbh.

While I have thought a few times late at night "What if I have failed.." the thought has never really gone as far as what I'd actually do in that situation. I think I'd probably go and repeat the modules I did very badly in and then re-apply next year. I really would feel very inadequate though and lose a lot of self-belief in being able to get a good grade in the course I am applying for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameh27)
    I think the weird thing is that all the friends I went to secondary school with have just finished their first years at uni. I changed schools and so all my friends at this school will be going in September. It just seems weird because I'll end up being so far behind everyone else, in my own mind. But then again, that's just me. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.
    I wouldn't worry too much about this. You'll almost definitely make friends when you get there; everyone is so out of their comfort zone they'll all be really friendly to one another.

ReputationRep:
    plan B could be an apprenticeship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milner001)
    plan B could be an apprenticeship
    In psych?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.