Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think there might be something wrong with me :S Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I don't feel at all healthy.
    There are about three main things I've noticed over about the past week:

- Most days, feeling VERY exhausted. Like I weigh about a ton- not in a 'I feel fat' way, just in the momentum required to even lift myself out of bed or up the stairs. Sometimes even breathing feels like it takes a massive effort, and although I make plans I'm often killing myself by going out because I'm so very tired and heavy.

- Weird moods. For example, this morning I felt hugely anxious, for no reason that I can fathom, it was just uncomfortable - my stomach felt jumpy like I was going to be sick and I just felt plain stressed out. However last night I felt like I was in the midst of depression, I felt brain dead and empty and unhappy, again for no reason I could work out.

- I've lost weight. About 2kg in the past week I think. I know its normal for weight to fluctuate, so I understand that might account for some of it but usually my weight is very steady, and it seems to be showing on my physical appearance aswell - my hips are sticking out more than they did and my side profile is realllly thin looking

I know its not anything like PMT. I have little to no reason to be stressed out or worrying- so far I've had a very relaxed holiday. I'm in a stress free relationship, no friendship or family troubles and I've been making sure I'm getting enough sleep- at least trying to catch up the next night if I have a night out, I've been busy for sure but my lifestyle is no more exhausting than usual. I've had a slight sniffle for the past week but I'm almost convinced thats just a dust allergy.

Any clue? or am I just being a huge hypochondriac?

ReputationRep:
    I think you know what everybody's advice will be. Go and see your GP. Don't feel guilty about it - it's their job.

I hope you manage to find out what is wrong and get better soon.

Are you eating the right foods, sorry if I missed you say that, make sure that your bodyclock is average and that your eating at your usual times and sleep at the usual time, drink plenty of water.

ReputationRep:
    ^ lol that was my post must have accidently pressed 'post as anonymous'

ReputationRep:
    Go

And

See

Your

GP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibb~)
    ^ lol that was my post must have accidently pressed 'post as anonymous'
    Haha, well you might have a point I suppose. I've skipped a meal or two when I simply haven't been hungry (this is another thing I've noticed) and sometimes I'll eat very little, but on the other hand I'm snacking more than usual thanks to it being the holidays and all. So I did think I was balancing out, but maybe it is just a change in diet. As for sleep I've been going from about midnight til 9 or 10 am regularly so I don't think its the bodyclock. Maybe I'm subconsciously stressed about results day lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anamaria90)
    I think you know what everybody's advice will be. Go and see your GP. Don't feel guilty about it - it's their job.

I hope you manage to find out what is wrong and get better soon.
    Yeah I know, you and the other person have a point :/ I would feel bad though, all the complaining my mum does about people going to her and saying they feel tired. I might just have to grow some balls and do it though, much as I hate doctor's appointments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    Yeah I know, you and the other person have a point :/ I would feel bad though, all the complaining my mum does about people going to her and saying they feel tired. I might just have to grow some balls and do it though, much as I hate doctor's appointments.
    Is your Mum a GP then? Have you talked to her about it?

Uhh, quite a lot of what you're talking about happened to me once when i stopped eating properly. I think you just aren't eating enough, especially with the 2kg weight loss thing; i'd see the GP to be on the safe side!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anamaria90)
    Is your Mum a GP then? Have you talked to her about it?
    Yeah she is, I've brought up with her the extreme tiredness part a while ago and she seemed a little concerned but didn't suggest that it might be something serious. I might talk to her about the weight loss and mood swings, I just hate making a big deal out of health stuff D:

Yeah she is, I've brought up with her the extreme tiredness part a while ago and she seemed a little concerned but didn't suggest that it might be something serious. I might talk to her about the weight loss and mood swings, I just hate making a big deal out of health stuff D:
    And uhh, from personal experience, it is never a good idea to go to a close family member for medical advice, whether or not they're doctors. I'd book myself in to a surgery visit if i were you :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Go to your doctor, you shouldn't feel stupid. Going to see your GP because you think your earlobes look funny is a stupid reason. Feeling knackered and losing weight is a perfectly fine reason to go and see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    if your not eating 3 good meals a day, even if your not hungry, it can make you feel like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    And uhh, from personal experience, it is never a good idea to go to a close family member for medical advice, whether or not they're doctors. I'd book myself in to a surgery visit if i were you :yes:
    Hahah aww, what happened?
    I think I will if this is persisting in a couple of days, meanwhile I'm gonna get a nice big sandwich :teeth:

Hahah aww, what happened?
    I think I will if this is persisting in a couple of days, meanwhile I'm gonna get a nice big sandwich :teeth:

My mum's a doctor. :wtf: Maybe it's just her, but her medical advice just seems biased, compared to that of the GP.

For example, last year during GCSE exam leave i had stress issues and couldn't sleep. Her advice was to get my rythym in order (:dry:) but the GP just gave me two weeks of sleeping pills (the second week of which my mum threw away ).

ReputationRep:

My mum's a doctor. :wtf: Maybe it's just her, but her medical advice just seems biased, compared to that of the GP.

For example, last year during GCSE exam leave i had stress issues and couldn't sleep. Her advice was to get my rythym in order (:dry:) but the GP just gave me two weeks of sleeping pills (the second week of which my mum threw away ).
    Hahah tell me about it, I get such a lack of sympathy sometimes! The only things she's actually taken me to my doctor's for is an eye infection and full blown bronchitis :dry: you'd think they'd be a minefield of drastic advice and prescriptions considering we're their children.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds psychosomatic to me. Can you identify anything that might have made you feel worried, stressed, or down?

Not that I'd like to diagnose over the internet. Best to see a GP for sure.

Hahah tell me about it, I get such a lack of sympathy sometimes! The only things she's actually taken me to my doctor's for is an eye infection and full blown bronchitis :dry: you'd think they'd be a minefield of drastic advice and prescriptions considering we're their children.
    Yeah absolutely. But i think they realise that giving us medicine and stuff makes us less immune, so they're more likely to let us rough out the easy stuff? I don't know what goes on in their silly doctor minds. My mum never even took me to a dentist or anything The first time i had my teeth checked was in work experience in last year's summer hols (turns out she was right; there was nothing wrong with my teeth, but that's besides the point!).

The worst part is it becomes impossible to skive. Unless you can give yourself a fever, you have to go, headache, toothache, stomach ache all included :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets_make_some_music)
    if your not eating 3 good meals a day, even if your not hungry, it can make you feel like that
    This.

I know you're snacking a little more now, but are you snacking on the right foods?

I've really noticed over the last few years how a change in diet can really change my well being.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah absolutely. But i think they realise that giving us medicine and stuff makes us less immune, so they're more likely to let us rough out the easy stuff? I don't know what goes on in their silly doctor minds. My mum never even took me to a dentist or anything The first time i had my teeth checked was in work experience in last year's summer hols (turns out she was right; there was nothing wrong with my teeth, but that's besides the point!).

The worst part is it becomes impossible to skive. Unless you can give yourself a fever, you have to go, headache, toothache, stomach ache all included :dry:
    Hmm yes, perhaps there is some reason for their madness. I've been lucky enough to avoid most major maladies though so all is well...so far

Haha skiving from home is next to impossible for me too - we have some kind of fever/vomit criteria, although if I'm feeling pathetic enough I can usually go and put a good show on to the school nurse which gets me an afternoon off at least :woo:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.