Pro Life in most circumstances
    20.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    What-evaaar.
    You need God's help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    I think that unless the abortion is a result of incest or rape then it is unjustified as long as it poses the mother no serious harm.

do you not think thats even more selfish.... bringing a child into the world that you cannot support yourself and your not ready for

ReputationRep:
    "If the fetus you save turns out gay, will you still defend its rights?"

don't know where i read that, but it made me smile a year or two ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna Cannon)
    No I am not. It is never a punishment but a joyous occasion to be blessed with a child. However there is more than enough sex education in school and contraception widely available. Free condoms from family planning clinics and doctors. and the pill. (no not the morning after) I was able to get on the contraceptive pill for heavy periods. ok they could say heavy painful periods and get put on it and of course the birth control is an added plus. but more caution should be taken to avoid pregnancy from occurring (sp?)
    If it is not for punishment, tell me exactly why you believe abortion for the people described above, or in general, is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Pro-choice in most situations.

It's pretty much common sense that abortion is best avoided and should not be used as a form of contraception. Women who repeatedly get abortions should be punished in some way, but in most cases I think people have the right to choose, especially in the early stages when it's nothing more than a few cells. I trust in people to make their own judgements and use that responsibility fairly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vander Beth)
    If it is not for punishment, tell me exactly why you believe abortion for the people described above, or in general, is wrong.
    purely because more care and precaution should of been taken. No it isn't a punishment. but the fact that they hadn't (forgotten, refused, didn't have) isn't really a just reason to abort a fetus which has done no wrong of its own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Pro-choice in most situations.

It's pretty much common sense that abortion is best avoided and should not be used as a form of contraception. Women who repeatedly get abortions should be punished in some way, but in most cases I think people have the right to choose, especially in the early stages when it's nothing more than a few cells. I trust in people to make their own judgements and use that responsibility fairly.
    Why do you think aborting 1 or 20 fetuses is different? Do you believe that punishment should be refused abortion?

ReputationRep:
    purely because more care and precaution should of been taken. No it isn't a punishment. but the fact that they hadn't (forgotten, refused, didn't have) isn't really a just reason to abort a fetus which has done no wrong of its own
    Oh, okay, so you think it is wrong because of the fetus's right to life, correct?

ReputationRep:
    Pro choice in all cases. It's the woman's body, after all.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think aborting 1 or 20 fetuses is different? Do you believe that punishment should be refused abortion?
    Because abortion should be the very last resort, and people who feel the need to repeatedly resort to it aren't being responsible in their actions. Rules should be there to make people realise abortion isn't some safety net that will always be there. It doesn't necessarily even have to be a punishment, just a restriction on the number of abortions allowed within a certain timeframe. I expect the number of women who repeatedly have abortions is in the very small minority anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, okay, so you think it is wrong because of the fetus's right to life, correct?
    no I don't think That either.
    Why should an unborn child pay for the mistakes its parents made?

ReputationRep:
    Pro choice in most circumstances, though if a healthy child is going to be born, really late stage abortions should not be allowed if the mother 'doesn't want a kid) as by that point it could exist outside the womb (on life support) and then put up for abortion (because in my eyes it's the the same as killing a premature baby).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Because abortion should be the very last resort, and people who feel the need to repeatedly resort to it aren't being responsible in their actions. Rules should be there to make people realise abortion isn't some safety net that will always be there. It doesn't necessarily even have to be a punishment, just a restriction on the number of abortions allowed within a certain timeframe. I expect the number of women who repeatedly have abortions is in the very small minority anyway.
    I'm not satisfied with that. Tell me exactly how you do not have reservations for one abortion (unless you do, then tell me) and how that does not extrapolate for twenty. Why is the fetus from a mother who has multiple abortions different from one who had none?

ReputationRep:
    I think that is what I was saying. Anyways, why does the fetus from a rape victim have to "pay". It did not get to choose the way it was conceived.

ReputationRep:
    I think that is what I was saying. Anyways, why does the fetus from a rape victim have to "pay". It did not get to choose the way it was conceived.
    I am not saying it has to pay. It is the woman's choice. and i find it more acceptable for a rape victim to have an abortion. though I never did.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so can I ask - I take the pill the same time every day (excluding days to have my period obviously). My chances of pregnancy are very, very slim to none. If I become pregnant, despite taking the precautions, am I still at duty to have the baby? Bearing in mind I have taken every step to eradicate the possibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Ok so can I ask - I take the pill the same time every day (excluding days to have my period obviously). My chances of pregnancy are very, very slim to none. If I become pregnant, despite taking the precautions, am I still at duty to have the baby? Bearing in mind I have taken every step to eradicate the possibility.
    no. Because you took precautions, unless you wanted to keep the child or looked at other alternatives such as adoption.

ReputationRep:
    I am not saying it has to pay. It is the woman's choice. and i find it more acceptable for a rape victim to have an abortion. though I never did.
    But why? I don't think you care about the rights fetus, more about the rights of the mother. You think those rights should be taken away if she was careless, correct?

Edit: I only did this because I was bored. Now I'm bored of this. Nobody quote me unless you really want to debate.

ReputationRep:
    Two points

First off, it isn't a foetus immediately, it isn't sentient in any meaningful sense in the early months of pregnancy, and it is entirely contingent on the use of the woman's body for survival.

Second off, in the same way that I don't believe you have the rights to use my kidneys without my consent, even if it is vital to your survival, the embryo doesn't have the right to use the woman's uterus without her consent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    Two points

First off, it isn't a foetus immediately, it isn't sentient in any meaningful sense in the early months of pregnancy, and it is entirely contingent on the use of the woman's body for survival.

Second off, in the same way that I don't believe you have the rights to use my kidneys without my consent, even if it is vital to your survival, the embryo doesn't have the right to use the woman's uterus without her consent.
    I was just trying to get the poster to justify why she believed the fetus (or zygote or embryo) was being aborted/killed/deprived of its right of life/whatever she wants to call it, if it was conceived through consensual sex but not rape. I didn't say that's what I believed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.