Pro Choice in most circumstances
    31.34%
    Pro Life in all circumstances
    6.45%
    Pro Life in most circumstances
    20.28%

ReputationRep:
    Pro-choice in all circumstances.

It's a woman's body, nobody should have any control but her over what she does with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charmaiinn)
    I am mostly pro-choice, I would never have an abortion, for religious reasons, but I can see reasons why people would have one. I think that it shouldn't be an option for people who get pregnant, just because they couldn't be bothered to at least try and use some form of contraception.
    You have to take people's word though that their attempts at contraception actually failed rather than that they simply didn't bother to use it. And there are many uneducated teenagers who think that you can't get pregnant the first time, or standing up, or some other nonsense like that. You either have to say anyone who wants an abortion can have one, or they can't - its not like we can watch these people have sex to find out how responsible they were being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggsy's Girl)
    Pro-choice in all circumstances.

It's a woman's body, nobody should have any control but her over what she does with it.
    Typical response from a brainwashed feminist. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Typical response from a brainwashed feminist. :yes:
    Nope, I'm simply a woman who enjoys the right to control what she does with her body, for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    You have to take people's word though that their attempts at contraception actually failed rather than that they simply didn't bother to use it. And there are many uneducated teenagers who think that you can't get pregnant the first time, or standing up, or some other nonsense like that. You either have to say anyone who wants an abortion can have one, or they can't - its not like we can watch these people have sex to find out how responsible they were being.
    Agreed. Same goes for the 'no except for when the women have been raped' attitudes. If this was actually enforced there'd just be a massive rise in false rape claims.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm simply a woman who enjoys the right to control what she does with her body, for whatever reason.
    So your 'right' to control your body means you can end another's rights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Agreed. Same goes for the 'no except for when the women have been raped' attitudes. If this was actually enforced there'd just be a massive rise in false rape claims.
    Then ban it for rape too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    Whilst I absolutely hate to carry on an old thread I have to say - a foetus doesnt have any rights and doesnt until it is independent of the womb. The woman does have rights. So thats kinda null and void.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, since I do not accept that a foetus deserves the same rights as the woman. It only has a right to life if the woman does not want to exercise her right to an abortion.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, since I do not accept that a foetus deserves the same rights as the woman. It only has a right to life if the woman does not want to exercise her right to an abortion.
    By your logic, women should have much more power in society, since they get to decided who gets to live a full life and who will not get the same opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    Strange. I think it does have rights. But because you think it doesn't then that's final?

At 6 weeks the heart starts beating, it has a brain, it has bones, it is developing facial features. It is human.

ReputationRep:
    Strange. I think it does have rights. But because you think it doesn't then that's final?

At 6 weeks the heart starts beating, it has a brain, it has bones, it is developing facial features. It is human.
    It's not really human though, is it? It's not even aware of its own existence by that point, and it doesn't feel pain, it's a foetus and I'd like to think any woman's rights come before that of a foetus.

If I ever found myself pregnant I'd have it terminated as soon as I found out, I'm adament on that. All I say is, if you don't believe in abortion, no-one's forcing you to have one, just like no-one should force you to go through a pregnancy you don't want. That's just unimaginable to me, and why I'm fortunate to be living in a forward-thinking country where abortion is readily available.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, so the majority on here support some form of pro-choice, glad to see it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really human though, is it? It's not even aware of its own existence by that point, and it doesn't feel pain, it's a foetus and I'd like to think any woman's rights come before that of a foetus.

If I ever found myself pregnant I'd have it terminated as soon as I found out, I'm adament on that. All I say is, if you don't believe in abortion, no-one's forcing you to have one, just like no-one should force you to go through a pregnancy you don't want. That's just unimaginable to me, and why I'm fortunate to be living in a forward-thinking country where abortion is readily available.
    Don't get pregnant then, if you care so much? It clearly is a human, thats why if you did get an abortion you would be offered free counselling, and as a country we spend millions on piecing women back together who are distraught from getting those 'ball of cells' removed. At the end of the day it is 9 months, and then you can give it up. Don't give me the whole 'it would be too hard to' argument, that is your problem not the childs. Carrying it for 9 months is the least you can do. We all know that when women abort it's not because of the 9 months of carrying, it's because they are selfish and don't want to ruin their own lives. Men don't have this get out clause, so why is the idea of removing it from women so terrible? Afterall, women have far more control over pregnancy, even saying 'no' (is that word in your vocabulary I wonder?) when they are not ready for sex.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really human though, is it?
    If it's not human then I'd like to know what species it is. If I'd argue the Elephant Man or African albinos were not human I'd get shot down.

Why don't you say pro-abortion as supposed to pro-choice? Sounds like there is some denial about the moral circumstances of the situation to me. You don't hear pro-choice with euthanasia, do you?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't realise you were for drug legalisation. :top:

Do wonder those who bash the 'I do what I like with my body' for abortion then retract that statement for drugs, even if it is non-problematic usage, even if problematic alcohol and tobacco usage is ignored.

ReputationRep:
    Then ban it for rape too.
    Nah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Didn't realise you were for drug legalisation.

Do wonder those who bash the 'I do what I like with my body' for abortion then retract that statement for drugs, even if it is non-problematic usage, even if problematic alcohol and tobacco usage is ignored.
    I made this point to some pro-killing friends and they went ape, saying abortion is so much more serious. I think if abortion is legal, which kills people, then I should be allowed a spliff which harms only me if anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I made this point to some pro-killing friends and they went ape, saying abortion is so much more serious. I think if abortion is legal, which kills people, then I should be allowed a spliff which harms only me if anyone.
    I agree. The only reason why it is probably legal over here is that people kept bending the rules so that it is more flexible than was intended in the 1967 Act. Politicians were afraid of the feminist agenda. Same applies to the sex laws that disregard consent. Once a guy had sex with his girlfriend, both fifteen years old, and he got prosecuted. Is this not an attack on bodily sovereignty too? Why do people not care for this?

ReputationRep:
    Murder is A _CHOICE_!

PRO-CHOICE = NO CHOICE AT ALL, You just want to MURDER! And, you want a clean conscience as well. Disgusting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.