Pro Choice in most circumstances
    31.34%
    Pro Life in all circumstances
    6.45%
    Pro Life in most circumstances
    20.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Why don't you say pro-abortion as supposed to pro-choice? Sounds like there is some denial about the moral circumstances of the situation to me. You don't hear pro-choice with euthanasia, do you?
    Um, because pro-abortion doesn't exist. Pro-choice supporters don't go around telling every pregnant woman to abort, which is what the term "pro-abortion" alludes to.

And how is the euthanasia debate relevant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Nah.
    Yeah.

See how intelligently we debate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    Yeah.

See how intelligently we debate?
    So's your face.

ReputationRep:
    So's your face.
    I know you are, but what am I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggsy's Girl)
    Um, because pro-abortion doesn't exist. Pro-choice supporters don't go around telling every pregnant woman to abort, which is what the term "pro-abortion" alludes to.

Pro-abortion does exist clearly. If you believein abortion you are pro-abortion. Or perhaps those against it are really anti-choice, since many of them are pro-death penalty.

So are you for drug legalisation or not? You've escaped answering that question.

ReputationRep:
    Pro-abortion does exist clearly. If you believein abortion you are pro-abortion. Or perhaps those against it are really anti-choice, since many of them are pro-death penalty.

So are you for drug legalisation or not? You've escaped answering that question.
    People don't 'believe in abortion', they believe in the choice to have an abortion. A lot of people who are pro-choice say that they would never themseves have an abortion, but believe that they should have the right to choose. I myself am pro choice but want to have children some day- saying I was 'pro abortion' would imply that I plan on aborting these children, and think that abortion is a good thing and that more people should do it. That's why it's called pro-choice.

ReputationRep:
    Fine, call pro-choice people in abortion as anti-choice, since many of them will be for the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    Fine, call pro-choice people in abortion as anti-choice, since many of them will be for the death penalty.
    Where on earth does the death penalty come into this?

ReputationRep:
    Where on earth does the death penalty come into this?
    Because numpties who claim to be pro-life, especially the violent ones, end up blowing up abortion clinics. Not really pro-life is it? I'll find you plenty of Yanks who are so strong against abortion on grounds of being "pro-life", but will happily fry a burglar in the electric chair. So, really it is pro-choice and anti-choice.

ReputationRep:
    Because numpties who claim to be pro-life, especially the violent ones, end up blowing up abortion clinics. Not really pro-life is it? I'll find you plenty of Yanks who are so strong against abortion on grounds of being "pro-life", but will happily fry a burglar in the electric chair. So, really it is pro-choice and anti-choice.
    I think you're getting confused between pro choice and pro life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pro-choice in all circumstances, mainly for consequentialist reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Pro Choice, but i think if you have an abortion you should be forced to stare at the foetus for half an hour so you understand what you've actually just done.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're getting confused between pro choice and pro life.
    I'm questioning the terminology itself, rather than agreeing with its current usage. Being pro-abortion shouldn't mean advocating mass terminations because people have varying conceptions on when, if at all, abortions should be permitted in their view. This is like the death penalty in a way. People vary on which crimes warrant the death penalty with a few who may advocate different methods of execution. Some people will reserve it for murder and rape, others may wish burglars to be sentenced to death, same wish to restore hanging, others may prefer electric chair or other methods.

I just think the distinction of being pro-choice, instead of pro-abortion when wanted, is trying to ignore the ethical dimensions to the situation. If you're against abortion you may not necessarily be pro-life because you may believe in the death penalty and true pro-lifers will never believe in the death penalty. This is why it should be pro-choice and anti-choice, or pro-abortion and anti-abortion, never, ever pro-life.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm simply a woman who enjoys the right to control what she does with her body, for whatever reason.
    Fancy some cocaine I'm having right now? It's magic. :coma:

ReputationRep:

Pro-abortion is pro-choice in my eyes. Being pro-choice does not advocate mass terminations. Death penalty supporters don't advocate everyone who committed a crime to be executed. Not in this country anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Fancy some cocaine I'm having right now? It's magic. :coma:
    Cocaine is illegal, abortion is legal, go figure.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. If you want to take cocaine, feel free, go to town, it's none of my business.

ReputationRep:
    Cocaine is illegal, abortion is legal, go figure.
    So is having sex under the age of sixteen, and, indeed there have been prosecutions for this even when both parties have consented. But as you say, nobody tells you what you should do with their own bodies. People used that argument to justify abortion legalisation so I do not see why it can't with drugs.

Perhaps they should make the male abortion idea legal and to see how pro-choice advocates soon kick up a stink and say how important it is for men not to rid of their responsibilities. Laughable, absolutely laughable.

ReputationRep:
    I support the "male abortion" principle.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. If you want to take cocaine, feel free, go to town, it's none of my business.
    Oh okay. I was under the impression that you were against people taking it, since the question of bodily sovereignty can be applied in both situations. Last time there was a big thread on abortion on here there was mass condemnation of drug usage, even by pro-choice advocates. I'll see if I can find the threads, was a long time ago now. :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.