Pro Choice in most circumstances
    31.34%
    Pro Life in all circumstances
    6.45%
    Pro Life in most circumstances
    20.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    You are working on the assumption that a foetus can be deemed a 'child'. Also, there is a vast difference between the potential of a life, and an existing one. The existence of a foetus is the mother's choice, but the existence of a child is not. Therefore both parents have a financial obligation to the child, because although the mother is more likely to adopt the position of primary carer, both parents have equal responsiblity.
    So what you're saying is that men should get screwed both ways. They have no say if they want her to keep a child she wants to kill, and they have no right to get the child killed if they want to preserve their right. The reason an abortion is allowed is to protect a womans future, but this right is not extended to men. Even if you assume there is a difference between a fetus and a baby, it is the mothers choice in our society whether or not the fetus turns from a fetus into a baby. If the father gives enough time it should just be something that factors into a womans decision whether or not to have the child.

It should be one way or the other...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    NO, I wouldn't say that but they (and men as well) have a duty to regard the process of the development of human life with reference and respect.
    No, you said that pregnancy and childbirth shouldn't be avoided because it's "nature". Now this rests on at least one fallacy (the appeal to nature). So I'm going to push you on this, if it is in human nature to become pregnant and give birth if you are female, are females who fall short of this ideal by not having children falling short of their "nature" and if so, what steps should be put in place to rectify this (forced insemination for example)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    It is undeniable that the point of sex is to reproduce- says who? Unless you're religious this has no grounding. For me, the point of sex is solely for pleasure. For others, it maybe for reproduction.

S'only a 'baby' in your opinion.
    Well it should be a baby in your opinion, at least until you can give me some indication of what makes a baby different from a fetus in your eyes? Unless i'm religious this has no grounding? Don't make me laugh! We are biologically designed to reproduce by having sex, the reason it is pleasurable is to encourage us to procreate more, this is basic year 6 biology come on. It is unnatural to seperate the pleasure from the reproduction aspects, so when it goes wrong because you are biologically designed that way, don't be surprised and come begging for help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    It's the woman's body so I think you should let her decide.

The option should be there for those who wish to take this course of action.
    The foetus doesn't belong to the mother. Unborn babies and mothers should be considered two separate entities. It's a woman's right to choose whether or not to be impregnated, but once that decision is made, it's a life decision. No turning back.

I'm pro-life in most circumstances. It's fine to stop embryos from becoming foetuses, but when they do become foetuses, abortion should be illegal except in cases of disability, threats to the mother's life, and rape. Any cases of accidental conception should have been thought about before it was too late :rolleyes:
    Aborting foetuses unnecessarily is murder.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of the issue of abortion why do people think that if you had a baby young your life is 'ruined' and you have no prospects in life? Ok it certainly makes things harder but having a baby doesn’t end your life it becomes part of it. Sorry to go off subject but having a baby certainly doesn’t mean you’re going to be 'stuck on a council estate'. If you are stuck in that lifestyle it’s down to your own decisions and options in life not just because you had a baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    No, you said that pregnancy and childbirth shouldn't be avoided because it's "nature". Now this rests on at least one fallacy (the appeal to nature). So I'm going to push you on this, if it is in human nature to become pregnant and give birth if you are female, are females who fall short of this ideal by not having children falling short of their "nature" and if so, what steps should be put in place to rectify this (forced insemination for example)?
    No, I'm not saying that they should be forced to do so and it doesn't logically follow from my argument.

What I'm saying is that human life is certainly one of the most important features of humanity (without human life there would be no human nature at all).

To kill an innocent human being for the sake of avoiding mild discomfort brought on by your own action, is immoral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Don't have sex with losers who don't love you then.

But couldn't this same argument be used towards men who wish to have sex(unprotected in some cases) but who don't want children? Or men who want children who have sex with women that don't want children?

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not saying that they should be forced to do so and it doesn't logically follow from my argument.

What I'm saying is that human life is certainly one of the most important features of humanity (without human life there would be no human nature at all).

To kill an innocent human being for the sake of avoiding mild discomfort brought on by your own action, is immoral.
    Your entire argument is based on your own personal opinions and is thus irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand pro-lifers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Day)
    Your entire argument is based on your own personal opinions and is thus irrelevant.
    How moronic can you get?

All positions held by anyone are "opinions". That doesn't mean they can't be right or wrong opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Day)
    Wrong. It is perfectly valid to argue that something is immoral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I can't stand child killers or those who think that child killing is "okay".

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand pro-abortion baby killers :eviltongue:

ReputationRep:
    Pro choice in every circumstance. Fully grown adults do not have the right to demand use of my body to keep them alive, a foetus certainly doesn't. If you really believe that 'right to life' includes the use of someone else's bodily resources, you can please start campaigning for forced blood and organ donations. Otherwise please go away.

The only time I can imagine that it would be wrong is if you deliberately got pregnant just so that you could have a late-term abortion. I don't think anyone would do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    But couldn't this same argument be used towards men who wish to have sex(unprotected in some cases) but who don't want children? Or men who want children who have sex with women that don't want children?
    It would be if abortions didn't exist... Ultimately men actually have very little if no control over whether a woman gets pregnant, which is evidenced by the sheer number of men throughout history who have been tricked into getting a woman pregnant so she can control him and his life.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand child killers or those who think that child killing is "okay".
    Yeah, I hate 'child' killers too.

Define Child:

A child (plural: children) is a human being between the stages of birth and puberty. The legal definition of "child" generally refers to a minor, otherwise known as a person younger than the age of majority. ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Pro choice in every circumstance. Fully grown adults do not have the right to demand use of my body to keep them alive, a foetus certainly doesn't. If you really believe that 'right to life' includes the use of someone else's bodily resources, you can please start campaigning for forced blood and organ donations. Otherwise please go away.

The only time I can imagine that it would be wrong is if you deliberately got pregnant just so that you could have a late-term abortion. I don't think anyone would do that.
    Sorry, but pregnancy doesn't normally kill someone. Abortion does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)

If you put a fully grown adult in a position where they were reliant on your body then you should have to keep them alive, at least for 9 months (what a trivial amount of time!). I think everyones right to life starts with a temporary use of someone elses bodily resources. At the end of the day the reason it is reliant on your bodily resources is because of your lust for pleasure, not because it just crawled up there while you were sleeping. Abortions are the ultimate height of being a selfish ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Sorry, but pregnancy doesn't normally kill someone. Abortion does.
    Neither does blood donation, or donation of 1 kidney.

(Original post by Elipsis)
    If you put a fully grown adult in a position where they were reliant on your body then you should have to keep them alive, at least for 9 months (what a trivial amount of time!). I think everyones right to life starts with a temporary use of someone elses bodily resources.
    At least you are consistent. I just completely disagree that the use of someone else's bodily resources can ever be a right.

At the end of the day the reason it is reliant on your bodily resources is because of your lust for pleasure, not because it just crawled up there while you were sleeping. Abortions are the ultimate height of being a selfish ****.
    Whatever the reason that the foetus is reliant on your body (and there are other reasons, blah blah), I still don't think it has a right to use it. And being selfish is not illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I hate 'child' killers too.

Define Child:

A child (plural: children) is a human being between the stages of birth and puberty. The legal definition of "child" generally refers to a minor, otherwise known as a person younger than the age of majority. ...
    Come on Bubbles, you should know by now that Don isn't concerned with silly things like facts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.