Turn on thread page Beta

Do you believe in 'breaks' watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, me and my boyfriend had an argument and I said it's over (not the first time, we generally break up and make up within an hour), but it wasn't until the next day we could say anything.

I attempted to sort by explaining my point of veiw, he argued and got angry (again, the usual) saying I'd wanted this. In the end he said he needed 'time and space' so I said 'so you'll let me know when you're okay?' and he was like 'what qualifies as okay?' and we agreed we'd decide by Friday what's happening.

But I hate 'breaks' and just believe they're an excuse for people to act as if they're in a casual relationship to find out if they can get anyone better before being single. My mate agrees, saying a 'break' is just a guy term.

Does anyone agree with this? If you've had a 'break' has it worked?

ReputationRep:
    i dont believe in breaks, in terms of going away to do your own thing.
    i think sometime people need time alone to think and reconsider their relationship, so just some space is a better term that i like to use.
    to me a break is just an excuse to go and explore alternatives to your current relationship...i guess it depends what boundaries you set for it, but they do need to be set to avoid confusion.

ReputationRep:
    I dont beleive in breaks because i dont beleive in the kind of relationships that need them.

If your reaching the point where the relationship isnt working then you should be exploring alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it's necessarily a break, people do need time to think. i wouldn't go off and get with anyone if I was you but I would give him some time as well. givin someone a couple of days to gather their thoughts isn't a 'break' IMO. a break for me would be going away without him for a couple of months and saying you wanted to be open for those months.

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe in them because if you break up you break up if you dont you dont theres no middle ground also both need to understand the boundries which can be difficult to understand for some.

ReputationRep:
    Breaks do not end well.

ReputationRep:
    From experiance, I dont think breaks really work. On the odd occassion they do, but usually they spell an end in the near future for the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    I dont beleive in breaks because i dont beleive in the kind of relationships that need them.

If your reaching the point where the relationship isnt working then you should be exploring alternatives.
    this

ReputationRep:
    It's either on or it's off.

ReputationRep:
    Dpends on whats meant by a 'break'? If it's to go off and think about what you want then yeah thats fine but if it's an excuse to 'explore' then no!

ReputationRep:
    We Were On A Break!!!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the couple in question and their relationship.

ReputationRep:
    breaks usually confirms an breakup

ReputationRep:
    I'd NEVER go on a break, things just wouldn't feel the same afterwards. For me, it would either be break up, or stay together: no middle ground. And we all know how Ross and Rachel's supposed break turned out on Friends...

ReputationRep:
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

ReputationRep:
    I had a break from my boyfriend for about 3 weeks because I had so much crap going on in my head and we got back together.

You might need some time away to think.

ReputationRep:
    a break is basically breaking up, but hoping to get back together.

no break i have ever gone on has ended in the relationship working out...

ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)
    Basically, me and my boyfriend had an argument and I said it's over (not the first time, we generally break up and make up within an hour), but it wasn't until the next day we could say anything.

I attempted to sort by explaining my point of veiw, he argued and got angry (again, the usual) saying I'd wanted this. In the end he said he needed 'time and space' so I said 'so you'll let me know when you're okay?' and he was like 'what qualifies as okay?' and we agreed we'd decide by Friday what's happening.

But I hate 'breaks' and just believe they're an excuse for people to act as if they're in a casual relationship to find out if they can get anyone better before being single. My mate agrees, saying a 'break' is just a guy term.

I had a break, and it worked out for me. I was just focusing on the unhappy parts of my relationship and it just deteriorated. I deliberated for days and then decided to tell him that I needed a break from us. He cried and was scared to death because breaks usually mean breakup. Took five days off and then went back to him after I cleared my head and we were better than ever.

but now we've just had a major fight where he said he was done with me ... called me back about ten minutes later and now I don't know where we're at? he doesn't really talk to me online anymore nor does he be all flirtatious. It could be because I'm having my finals, but still ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)

For me a break is just a bit of time apart to chill out and think things through, It does not involve hooking up with other people or being outlandish, no different to classics like 'i am going to go stay at my sisters'

You say its a guy term yet I have only ever heard it from girls :p:

ReputationRep:
    A 'break' is just a long, drawn out way of dumping someone. It doesn't solve things, just makes them seem worse.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.