Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should i have done more to help the poor dog? Watch

ReputationRep:
    today when i went to the supermarket, i noticed a border collie locked in a car with only the windows opened very slightly, i started to walk away but then i remembered on a t.v program that even if there is ventilation in a car a dog can still die.

i made the decision to go to the customer services desk at the supermarket and i reported it, i didnt have the registration number of the car but i decribed the make and the model and exactly where it was parked. by then i had started crying because i just thought of the poor dog trapped in the car. they put out a tannoy so hopefully the person will come forward

i reported it because i noticed that the dog was panting and looked distressed.

i didnt have a pen or paper with me otherwise i would have noted the registration number. should i have gone further and reported to the rspca? this has only happened about 15 minutes ago.

i feel so helpless, i wish i had done more. i just keep on thinking of the dog now

sorry im rambling but im just so upset

ReputationRep:
    You sick, sick, person. You should have put the windows up, anybody could have stolen that car. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    ummm isnt it ok to leave a dog in the car? If not it must have been an honest mistake by the owner - no need to call the RSPCA.

ReputationRep:
    i saw a dog locked in a car too with the windows not even open on a very sunny day.. didn't bother me though, its the owners responsibility, but I did think it was a bit wrong.. but then the owner returned from pets at home and brought it a squeak toy so all's forgiven lol.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience you would've been TOTALLY wasting your time with the RSPCA (long story which I can't be bothered to go into), so you shouldn't feel bad, as you did as much as you could.

ReputationRep:
    you can always do more. Whether or not you should have is a question of your conscience and considering you made this post yeah you probably should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    You sick, sick, person. You should have put the windows up, anybody could have stolen that car. :awesome:
    haha.. but the dog was protecting it!

ReputationRep:
    For all you know the dog may have been there for 5min whilst the owner popped in to get something quickly. I think you did more than enough. Most people wouldn't even consider reporting it to the supermarket and would just walk straight past.

ReputationRep:
    I think you done the right thing, if that was me I would have thought nothing of it. Silly boy I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie123)
    ummm isnt it ok to leave a dog in the car? If not it must have been an honest mistake by the owner - no need to call the RSPCA.
    no its not, not on a hot day, even with the windows open a dog can still die from heat stroke

ReputationRep:
    The dog will have been fine, it was distressed because it was stuck in the car, nothing to do with the ventilation.

I've left my dog in the car when it was much hotter than it is today and he's still alive, stop worrying about it so much.
    And no, you shouldn't phone the RSPCA, they won't do anything, and for all you know the owners may have only popped into the shop for a couple of minutes so you would be wasting their time.

ReputationRep:
    No. In The owners love that dog. If they didn't they wouldn't have taken it out with them, they would have left it locked up in the house. They probs had just taken him a nice long walk and left him in the car for 5 minutes or so while they popped into the shop to get a paper, milk and a few other essentials. Personally, I wouldn't have reported it, I would have just kept an eye on it for a while. I think the RSPCA don't need to get involved here Don't feel so upset, I think you did the right thing. They were likely unaware that the dog was suffering and because you reported it they went and relieved him
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I think that you did enough, more than many people would and you shouldn't feel guilty for not doing more

ReputationRep:
    We always put out tannoys for dogs in cars at Sainsbury's. If they don't come we'll carry on doing tannoys.

If you want to put your mind at rest, ask the person at the customer service desk next time your in if the dogs owner came or not? (You'll have to go at the exact time.)

ReputationRep:
    Man up. You started crying?

ReputationRep:
    Wow some harsh responses here.

Dogs have died from being locked in cars on mildly warm days.
    It is an issue and should be addressed.

A dog in a car which has poor ventilation, on a hot day, for a long duration can die. Why? Because the brain breaks down [don't ask me the science of it :P:]
    Eventually the dog goes into cardiac arrest and dies.

Not the most pleasant way to go.

OP- good on you for reporting it. A dog which is panting excessively is a symptom of heat stroke. You did what you could do, and that's something.
    People don't realise the danger associated with leaving dogs in cars on mildly warm days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    Wow some harsh responses here.

Dogs have died from being locked in cars on mildly warm days.
    It is an issue and should be addressed.

A dog in a car which has poor ventilation, on a hot day, for a long duration can die. Why? Because the brain breaks down [don't ask me the science of it :P:]
    Eventually the dog goes into cardiac arrest and dies.

Not the most pleasant way to go.

OP- good on you for reporting it. A dog which is panting excessively is a symptom of heat stroke. You did what you could do, and that's something.
    People don't realise the danger associated with leaving dogs in cars on mildly warm days.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadel_L)
    The dog will have been fine, it was distressed because it was stuck in the car, nothing to do with the ventilation.

I've left my dog in the car when it was much hotter than it is today and he's still alive, stop worrying about it so much.
    And no, you shouldn't phone the RSPCA, they won't do anything, and for all you know the owners may have only popped into the shop for a couple of minutes so you would be wasting their time.
    What a stupid post. You don't KNOW why the dog was distressed. Yes, maybe the owner just popped into the shop for a couple of minutes, but the OP didn't know either way, did they? Dogs can VERY easily die in hot cars, it's a common occurence in the summer, and it's really irresponsible of dog-owners.

Having said all that, OP I think by getting a message put out over the tannoy, you did enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Good call!

Personally I would never put a dog in a car cause the hair gets into the seats.

I'd just tie to the roof rack or something ...

ReputationRep:
    I would hate to have your conscience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.