Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello all,

I really really want to start in September... I have a place for march 2010 but I can't wait that long. I was wondering what would be the best thing to do?
    I mean, surely there must be some people who don't make the grades or change there mind.. therefore leaving room for other people to start in sept?
    Should I go through clearing? I don't even know if you can do that for nursing though?

Or should I just ring up a few days after results and see if they have any places?

need some advice!

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it was well worth it, I'm not clear on details but there's some new system coming in whereby if someone does much better than their offer then they may go for another course even if they met an offer, so there may be more places available. Do be careful though as I think technically the course you're due to start next spring has to release you first.. It'd be better to speak to someone in the know though to be sure

ReputationRep:
    give the university an email and ask them if you could have the option of changing your intake should places become available due to people not making their offer

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your replies.
    I did email them a while back and they said that they would give places to people who applied to ucas before January. Which is not fair really!
    I'm just gonna ring up near results time and just see because there could be a space!
    and I'm gonna try other unis too!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can get in to Nursing via clearing. There's been a massive increase in applications this year so lots of places are full for their diploma intakes in Sept, but you might be ok with Degree?
    You just get your current uni to release you and find one that wants to take you..

I got a place through clearing last year for january entry, however when contacting the university I found out there were spaces in september, so yes it is possible, just be organised!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    Yeah, you can get in to Nursing via clearing. There's been a massive increase in applications this year so lots of places are full for their diploma intakes in Sept, but you might be ok with Degree?
    You just get your current uni to release you and find one that wants to take you..
    But what about if I get my current university to release me then I don't end up getting placed anywhere?
    I don't think I have enough points for the degree and you don't get payed the bursary do you?

I'm really confused when it comes to finance & accomodation with clearing..

Say if I get placed at a university quite far away and I need accomodation. What if there isn't any left because its so late and how will I get the money to pay for rent.
    Can you get a student loan for nursing?
    I know you can get the bursary for the diploma but that's like £500 per month and say if accomodation costs £400 it doesn't leave me with much for food, books etc..

eek really need some advice about the whole thing! I'm getting very stressed about it all.
    I've made a list of universities which I will ring tommorow to see if they will give me a place for september. I will try on 20th August aswel if I have no joy.

(Original post by Holamigo)
    But what about if I get my current university to release me then I don't end up getting placed anywhere?
    I don't think I have enough points for the degree and you don't get payed the bursary do you?

I'm really confused when it comes to finance & accomodation with clearing..

Say if I get placed at a university quite far away and I need accomodation. What if there isn't any left because its so late and how will I get the money to pay for rent.
    Can you get a student loan for nursing?
    I know you can get the bursary for the diploma but that's like £500 per month and say if accomodation costs £400 it doesn't leave me with much for food, books etc..

eek really need some advice about the whole thing! I'm getting very stressed about it all.
    I've made a list of universities which I will ring tommorow to see if they will give me a place for september. I will try on 20th August aswel if I have no joy.
    if its really going to stress you out, why not just wait till march? at the end of the day you'll still end up a registered nurse! regardless of when you start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cup of Inspiration)
    if its really going to stress you out, why not just wait till march? at the end of the day you'll still end up a registered nurse! regardless of when you start
    Because Its kinda worth all the stress to be honest and there's no jobs around where I live so I will be doing nothing until march!

I've been waiting since January to start nursing and I've just come back from America where I was working at a special needs camp for 10wks looking after kids with cancer and adults with other illness' - its just made me so determined to start nursing as soon as I can!

I just really need some advice and ill stop stressing so much about it

ReputationRep:
    I rang 14 different universities..
    A lot said to ring back on the 20th Aug but one said to ring on the 14th? which I thought was an odd date to start clearing when the results haven't even come out.

A lot said that they will definately have spaces for the degree in clearing but they werent sure about the diploma.
    Say If I got a place for the degree... would you be entitled to have a student loan then? Because I don't know how I can afford accomodation other wise?

I rang 14 different universities..
    A lot said to ring back on the 20th Aug but one said to ring on the 14th? which I thought was an odd date to start clearing when the results haven't even come out.

A lot said that they will definitely have spaces for the degree in clearing but they werent sure about the diploma.
    Say If I got a place for the degree... would you be entitled to have a student loan then? Because I don't know how I can afford accomodation other wise?

yeah with the degree you'll get the means tested student bursary, plus the student loan- however be careful as you'll be applying for this late, meaning payments will come late!

ReputationRep:
    yeah with the degree you'll get the means tested student bursary, plus the student loan- however be careful as you'll be applying for this late, meaning payments will come late!
    I don't think I will get the means tested student bursary though because of my parents income. :-/ not fair.

ah no how late can they come through?

I don't think I will get the means tested student bursary though because of my parents income. :-/ not fair.

ah no how late can they come through?

depends when you apply, but you're looking probably october time? Without the means tested bursary you will struggle however, will your parents be supporting you, or can you get a job?

ReputationRep:
    depends when you apply, but you're looking probably october time? Without the means tested bursary you will struggle however, will your parents be supporting you, or can you get a job?

no they wont be able to support me. They have given me enough money in the past. and they are having trouble with money at the moment.

I dont think having a part time job as well as nursing would be a good idea as i've heard it would be very hard. I mean I could do extra shifts to get money or something.

no they wont be able to support me. They have given me enough money in the past. and they are having trouble with money at the moment.

I dont think having a part time job as well as nursing would be a good idea as i've heard it would be very hard. I mean I could do extra shifts to get money or something.
    I work as a HCA in my spare time whilst on the course, and i've not had any issues, and its certainly paying my rent! You may be able to get the bursary, check it out

ReputationRep:
    I work as a HCA in my spare time whilst on the course, and i've not had any issues, and its certainly paying my rent! You may be able to get the bursary, check it out
    I wouldnt mind getting a job like HCA aswel as doing my nursing. Are you doing the degree or diploma? I've sent a CV to my local nursing home and they rang today so I'm thinking they may have a job going (gotta ring back tommorow)this might change everything if I get a job...

I don't know whether to work until March and I would be able to save some money for uni. I would also have a car if I do this and would probably have to travel to uni each day rather than live there. Suppose I would save a lot of money this way..

or

Just move out and try and get a place at a uni through clearing! I feel like i'm kinda ready to leave home at the moment so thats why I'm going towards this option but I could come out with a lot of debt especially as I would have to get another student loan ( I got one last year but dropped out of uni in Jan) but i really just want my own independance and live somewhere not around here!

now I've got a problem because chester uni (where I have a place in march) have said that they can let me start in september but it will have to be at another site - eg Warrington and that would be for the diploma I think.
    I don't really want to go to warrington though:/ at first I was going to say yes I'll start straight away but thinking about it.. I've heard warrington is quite a rough area and its only like an hour away from me I need somewhere a bit further if im going to live there.

So now I don't know what to do.. Do I say to chester that I want them to release me If I want to go into clearing.?

but then I'll lose the offer for march n september!

lol sorry ive written loads!

ReputationRep:
    it's always a bit mad like this with clearing, lots of people not knowing quite what's happening

the trick is to not get released from the existing offer without having something definite (and I don't just mean a spoken offer on the phone, it needs to be firmer than that).

Ultimately you may not have your ideal combination offered to you - and then you have to decide what to do. Ultimately although it's frustrating, would waiting six months be worse than spending three years somewhere that you weren't really happy at?

ReputationRep:
    I got into nursing through clearing, I got the place 4 days before the course started. So it is possible, I did have a bit of trouble however getting my other uni to release me, they had accepted me without my clearing letter....big mix up! I attended my uni until the other had released me and I could enrol and that was that. Easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainmacn)
    it's always a bit mad like this with clearing, lots of people not knowing quite what's happening

the trick is to not get released from the existing offer without having something definite (and I don't just mean a spoken offer on the phone, it needs to be firmer than that).

Ultimately you may not have your ideal combination offered to you - and then you have to decide what to do. Ultimately although it's frustrating, would waiting six months be worse than spending three years somewhere that you weren't really happy at?
    but i'd only ring the universities that I like.
    So your saying not to get released from my existing offer?
    Because I still haven't released it yet. But I can't go through clearing tommorow because I have that offer! so i'm kinda stuck on what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgie92)
    I got into nursing through clearing, I got the place 4 days before the course started. So it is possible, I did have a bit of trouble however getting my other uni to release me, they had accepted me without my clearing letter....big mix up! I attended my uni until the other had released me and I could enrol and that was that. Easy.
    really?
    That gives me hope!
    Which uni was it?

I'm worried about my other uni releasing me.. As I think it will take a long time.
    Have you got to have a clearing letter first then? before the new uni accepts you?
    also what happeneds about the accomodation and bursary when you get a place through clearing??

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.