Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone here has some advice for exercises to strengthen my back with the view to carrying a heavy backpack?

I'm a fit person in general and I do quite a lot of running as well as frequent fast swimming and hiking.

I have been training carrying a pack that weighs 22kg but after half a day of carrying it, I end up with some soreness in my back, particularly near the shoulders. I need to be able to build this strength up for a mountaineering trip abroad this winter.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Squats and deadlifts are your friends here.

As far as the soreness in your shoulders, that's more like a result of the straps pulling them down, not so much your back.

Squats, deadlifts and presses will make you stronger in general.

ReputationRep:
    Most likely the straps aren't set up correctly (too loose) or you're hunching over rather than a general lack of strength.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.