Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone here has some advice for exercises to strengthen my back with the view to carrying a heavy backpack?

I'm a fit person in general and I do quite a lot of running as well as frequent fast swimming and hiking.

I have been training carrying a pack that weighs 22kg but after half a day of carrying it, I end up with some soreness in my back, particularly near the shoulders. I need to be able to build this strength up for a mountaineering trip abroad this winter.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Squats and deadlifts are your friends here.

As far as the soreness in your shoulders, that's more like a result of the straps pulling them down, not so much your back.

Squats, deadlifts and presses will make you stronger in general.

ReputationRep:
    Most likely the straps aren't set up correctly (too loose) or you're hunching over rather than a general lack of strength.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.