Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to get into Stocks and Shares.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think you should pay more attention to the current economic situation, buisnesses are collasping at an alarming rate so buying stock is more risky than ever. So, unless you really know what you are doing, now is not a good time to start getting into stocks and shares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannylfc_1)
    yea, seems a rich thing unfortunately, I'm determined to get some though!
    You can do it online, search for online stoke-brokers or something similar, you need a decent amount of money. £500 would do alright, and you need to be 18.

Then you need to be so smart with where you make your money and what you spend on, there are SO many effecting factors, like I used to do it just to see how much I'd make, did it with my dad.

He "spent" £100 on RBS just after they crashed, he would have made a absolute mint.

I went with easyjet, not the smartest, but it was common knowledge they were about to fly more, cheaper, winter flights, which meant that theoretically the shares went up, and they did, but in no time at all they plummeted, as the price of oil went up, the extra flights for less money that easyjet had offered had become less and less profitable because of the cost of the fuel to fly a larger amount of flights for less money.

Needless to say I lost about 40% of what I would have put on, and my dad made about 700% profit if he had put his money on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    no evidence of them falling so far

and no you don't.
    5k is a pretty small investment
    My dad has had no training experience - he just follows what's happening in the markets
    Nor did he take any financial advice
    Thats pretty cool, one thing though, the OP doesn't follow the markets, and you should follow them for a while before investing, and your dad made a great investment, but it was a risky one, the OP should be looking at playing it safe though, he want's to invest safe for small gains, or at least that is what he should do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiVji)
    Absouletely pointless if you have <£1000 to invest. You need £10,000 to see big gains of £100s
    So far, since November, I've made 45% growth on a 3k investment (£1,350). It's possible to see some fair gains from fairly small initial lump sums. This was a nice simple investment through an ISA with 10 funds in it. There has never been a better time to put money into the market, and there's no simpler way than investing through funds.

The trouble with investing in online execution only brokers (as a few other posters have suggested) is that you have no knowledge of financial markets and are taking a large risk. You may aswell play roulette. Make the smart decision to invest into a diversified portfolio with a range funds or don't invest at this time. That's my view.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how to start going about it?
    I thought money in savings accounts isn't going to be much good over the next few years with interest rates so low. I figured putting some money into shares like big oil companies and pharma's over time could give me better returns..

Any advice on how to get started? How do I even buy a share in the first place!?
    Any help would be appreciated.:yes:
    Ive got you covered mate

www.sharewatch.com

You dont even have to register with this lot!

Just phone them, tell them how many, of what you want to buy and pay a one time buy-fee on top! its a done deal!

Just click on the small trades link on that page!

And it is an honest broker, i bought and sold with them a few months back on the ISEQ

Good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    So far, since November, I've made 45% growth on a 3k investment (£1,350). It's possible to see some fair gains from fairly small initial lump sums. This was a nice simple investment through an ISA with 10 funds in it. There has never been a better time to put money into the market, and there's no simpler way than investing through funds.

The trouble with investing in online execution only brokers (as a few other posters have suggested) is that you have no knowledge of financial markets and are taking a large risk. You may aswell play roulette. Make the smart decision to invest into a diversified portfolio with a range funds or don't invest at this time. That's my view.
    That sounds very attractive! congrats on that investment! Can you point me to a website, I would consider doing that aswell cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiVji)
    That sounds very attractive! congrats on that investment! Can you point me to a website, I would consider doing that aswell cheers!
    I work at a financial planning firm, so I'm able to invest in things that the average consumer can't (without going through a professional). Alot of companies that offer the best range of funds only deal with intermediaries (like IFA's).

Also, diversifying a portfolio with funds and weightings that accurately reflect your attitude to risk is virtually impossible for somebody to do who isn't in the industry. Ontop of that, selecting the right funds without the right research would be a nightmare.

Bottom line is that if you want to do it properly, you'll have to go through somebody qualified to set it up.

ReputationRep:
    I use an online broker TD Waterhouse

Easy to use and fairely good value with commission fee's.

I put £700 into RBS when they were at 11p each and as of 15 minutes ago they were they 46.80p each.

Work it out

My only advice is to only put in what you can afford to lose. I had some cash saved up from working my gapyear and figured I'd just spent it on the piss anyway so even if I lost it, it wasnt the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how to start going about it?
    I thought money in savings accounts isn't going to be much good over the next few years with interest rates so low. I figured putting some money into shares like big oil companies and pharma's over time could give me better returns..

Any advice on how to get started? How do I even buy a share in the first place!?
    Any help would be appreciated.:yes:
    Forgive me for coming across a little bluntly here, but I think you're looking at the wrong option. From personal experience, stocks and shares are a great investment as you say, though only if you put in the time to research and ensure to the best of your ability that you are selecting the shares to give you a balance between risk and reward over a timescale that suits your finances.

The fact that your first port of call appears to be asking here suggests that your diligence is somewhat debatable, and as such you would run a higher risk than you think. Share prices can go down as well as up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy King)
    Forgive me for coming across a little bluntly here, but I think you're looking at the wrong option. From personal experience, stocks and shares are a great investment as you say, though only if you put in the time to research and ensure to the best of your ability that you are selecting the shares to give you a balance between risk and reward over a timescale that suits your finances.

The fact that your first port of call appears to be asking here suggests that your diligence is somewhat debatable, and as such you would run a higher risk than you think. Share prices can go down as well as up!
    yes I understand. I am happy I asked on here though because I knew nothing before and now I know a little.. I don't think I will be investing now anyway as I didn't realise how much money I needed to make realistic investments!

ReputationRep:
    Read 'Liar's Poker' by Michael Lewis. Good book, but describes the complexity and skills needed to get into trading.

ReputationRep:
    yes I understand. I am happy I asked on here though because I knew nothing before and now I know a little.. I don't think I will be investing now anyway as I didn't realise how much money I needed to make realistic investments!
    To be honest you should ignore the people saying you need more money. If you want to get into this in later life you might as well practise now with small amounts as long as the broker fees aren't too extortionate. that way when you have more money to work with you'll already know how it all works..
    Although I agree that it isn't really something to play with unless you can afford to lose the money..

(Original post by T-Star*)
    Read 'Liar's Poker' by Michael Lewis. Good book, but describes the complexity and skills needed to get into trading.
    Not really. Really good book, but pretty much jack **** about the kind of small scale stocks and shares the OP wants to get into..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    You can do it online, search for online stoke-brokers or something similar, you need a decent amount of money. £500 would do alright, and you need to be 18.

Then you need to be so smart with where you make your money and what you spend on, there are SO many effecting factors, like I used to do it just to see how much I'd make, did it with my dad.

He "spent" £100 on RBS just after they crashed, he would have made a absolute mint.

I went with easyjet, not the smartest, but it was common knowledge they were about to fly more, cheaper, winter flights, which meant that theoretically the shares went up, and they did, but in no time at all they plummeted, as the price of oil went up, the extra flights for less money that easyjet had offered had become less and less profitable because of the cost of the fuel to fly a larger amount of flights for less money.

Needless to say I lost about 40% of what I would have put on, and my dad made about 700% profit if he had put his money on.
    700%? RBS were never that low, they bottomed out at around 10p I think, so 400-500% maybe.

I have about £500 in RBS and £500 in Lloyds. Was a happy guy until today, haha. Still made about £200 so far however, for a few months and not having to do anything it's not bad at all. Much better than I'd have done shoving it in a savings account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    700%? RBS were never that low, they bottomed out at around 10p I think, so 400-500% maybe.

I have about £500 in RBS and £500 in Lloyds. Was a happy guy until today, haha. Still made about £200 so far however, for a few months and not having to do anything it's not bad at all. Much better than I'd have done shoving it in a savings account.
    7.2p lowest is what I can call off the top of my head, and they got up to 49p highest. It was all hypothetical anyway, we never actually put money into it.

Out of interest how did you go about buying your shares?

Edit: Just looked at monthly charts for RBS, started at about 32p peaked at about 48p, then just dropped like a stone after profit announcements in the last day or so. Selling 2 days ago would have been a peach!

ReputationRep:
    7.2p lowest is what I can call off the top of my head, and they got up to 49p highest. It was all hypothetical anyway, we never actually put money into it.

Out of interest how did you go about buying your shares?

Edit: Just looked at monthly charts for RBS, started at about 32p peaked at about 48p, then just dropped like a stone after profit announcements in the last day or so. Selling 2 days ago would have been a peach!
    Yeah I'm in it for the long term (i.e. 3-5 years), so I wasn't looking to sell. Closed around 54p yesterday, now at about 47p. I'm still well up on what I bought them for. (£999.19 total cost, £1239 value). There's going to be up's and down's, hopefully this is the last of the bad news though .

I bought them through iii.co.uk's share dealer app online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Yeah I'm in it for the long term (i.e. 3-5 years), so I wasn't looking to sell. Closed around 54p yesterday, now at about 47p. I'm still well up on what I bought them for. (£999.19 total cost, £1239 value). There's going to be up's and down's, hopefully this is the last of the bad news though .

I bought them through iii.co.uk's share dealer app online.
    Ah thats good, I might take a look at that, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thats pretty cool, one thing though, the OP doesn't follow the markets,
    you're a fool if you play with shares without researching/following the market. OP if it's true that you haven't followed the markets, don't bother investing until you do

ReputationRep:
    you're dad should have bought them lol, or even barclays (one my dad bought 5K - 32K atm)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    you're a fool if you play with shares without researching/following the market. OP if it's true that you haven't followed the markets, don't bother investing until you do
    Agreed, it is pretty much suicide, you need to be set up to follow the Financial news every day for I would say a minimum a month, and just understand the financial world, does the OP even realise that half year income reports came in for banks yesterday I think it was? :rolleyes: Was a good time to make a killing.

I wish I had put a bit in, but I don't usually have bags of money, and being 16 I'm not allowed near my savings!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.