Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Disclaimer: This is a generalisation and was just wondering peoples points. A debate is better than attack so lets try that .

As a white male myself I feel that we are an oft persecuted group for the things that happened in the past, thinking along the lines of slavery of 'womens oppresion' etc.

Do any other white males out there feel that sometimes we can be persecuted just because of the things our ancestors did?

(Note: I might not have articulated my point that well, always feels weird on a forum but hopefully people can begin a debate an see where we go from there.)
    (Major edit of a femist article)

Beckham, Marlyin Manson and a score of other celebrities in current pop culture have repeatedly brought the boxers "out from under" and into the limelight over the past couple of decades. Whether a boxer for an erotic spectacle on stage, a beaded one for the Red Carpet or lacy and casual for lunch with friends, the image harkens back, ever so subtly, to one of the first powerful ladies to don the boxers, Tom Cruise in that movie clip. That's not to imply of course that Tom Cruise's boxers were such blatant fashion statements as these men's, but underneath it all, was there more being said than meets the eye? And it may not have been any of these celebrities' intention to associate herself with powerful men of eras past necessarily, but it's not a far stretch to say that this fashion statement speaks volumes and brings with it to its wearers a powerful history of male expression that spans decades.

For a simple item of clothing, boxers have stirred many opinions as to their function and the role they play in the male wardrobe. In eras past, as a required fashion staple, boxers were sometimes considered to be the epitome of conservative female oppression of men with their restrictive binding. In current times however, fashion designers are less likely to consider boxers as a figment of female domination and instead covet them as a timeless fascination with shaping the male body and today's wearers can surely be considered to be clearly exhibiting the ultimate form of confidence and mascinline expression. Still, others who couldn't care less about a boxer's cultural implications or their ability to shape a body consider them to be ideal under-garments supporting the ass in a comfortable way—a very practical fashion in this sense. Of course, no fashion would be worth its weight without a little controversy and on this point, boxers have delivered.

Boxers basically evolved into the modern thong. But there clearly remains a fashionable allure for the earlier predecessor. Described today as gorgeous, ultra-glamorous, and sexy, boxers are available in a variety of styles and colors, fabricated from all types of materials. They're often big as were early patterns. But now, three things make modern boxers distinctly different from 19th and 20th century patterns. Today they range in size from small to 3X and above. Boxers are worn as outerwear, with jeans in casual settings and glamorized for evening wear. They are often used as lingerie, and unlike their predecessors, they're designed to be comfortable and easy to get in and out of quickly.

In recent boxer news, confirming the fascination with these garments, celebrities have custom designed embellished leather boxers and those made from other unusual and creative materials that have been auctioned for upwards of $1000 and beyond, to benefit charity. Not only are boxers sexy fashion, but they have become a very profitable endeavor!

On the lingerie front, leather boxers or those made from classic lace or racier PVC are popular today and available in a variety of styles and sizes as well. Just like their outerwear counterparts, a myriad of designs are created to accentuate the curves of the male physique and they are consciously designed to flatter the wearer. Many lingerie boxers now have optional G-strings and detachable garters. Other options include front zippers, lace up backs, hook and eye front closure, and adjustable shoulder straps. Sometimes lycra is added for more comfort and many patterns are lined in silk or satin.

I got bored :rofl:

(It was originally about corests)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Disclaimer: This is a generalisation and was just wondering peoples points. A debate is better than attack so lets try that .

As a white male myself I feel that we are an oft persecuted group for the things that happened in the past, thinking along the lines of slavery of 'womens oppresion' etc.

Do any other white males out there feel that sometimes we can be persecuted just because of the things our ancestors did?

(Note: I might not have articulated my point that well, always feels weird on a forum but hopefully people can begin a debate an see where we go from there.)
    no if u feel persecution is being reminded of a dark event in "your" history then youre doing fine.
    Complaining being born white and male is like complaining about being incredibly rich.
    equally ridiculous, so a black/asian/indian man, middle class, brought up in a prosperous area has more to complain about than a white poor man?

unless u mean complaining about being white specifically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jataylorlfc)

equally ridiculous, so a black/asian/indian man, middle class, brought up in a prosperous area has more to complain about than a white poor man?

unless u mean complaining about being white specifically.

Sorry I missed out the "about" - does it make more sense now? Either that or you've completely missed my point.

ReputationRep:
    A simple thing called positive discrimination.

Basically anything that is not white, male and heterosexual as far as I see it.

ReputationRep:
    persecuted?

tell that to the ethnics who get verbal abuse daily

ReputationRep:
    some people need to get into the PRAT zone where all the PRATZ belong!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe in Zimbabwe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    persecuted?

Huh.

So it is only the evil whitey who is the racist in your world.

:banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrst269)
    Huh.

So it is only the evil whitey who is the racist in your world.

:banghead:
    Historically, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Historically, yes.

And in the present day?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if serious tbh.

You get the odd black/brown/etc who despises 'the white guy at the top', but its not really something you should be experiencing/feeling on an everyday basis.

Anyone with half a brain can work out that it wasn't you that personally called for slavery/racism, lol.

ReputationRep:
    White people are persecuted at all in relation to other groups. The Nazi's is a great example. There crimes were great but in comparison to the hundreds of years of slavery whites enforced on other races, the kidnapping of thousands that was the slave trade, the slaughter of the mesmoAmericans and the theft of their land to name just a few. Yet today Germany in continually linked to it and things are very sensitive when talking about the holocaust and other nazi crimes in state once occupied by the nazi's. And yet no one feels the need to look back and acknowledge the heinous crimes committed by white people.

ReputationRep:
    There was a saying
    "The people who feel the worst in America and have no rights at all are men, who are, white, Christians, heterosexual and living alone"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    Not sure if serious tbh.

You get the odd black/brown/etc who despises 'the white guy at the top', but its not really something you should be experiencing/feeling on an everyday basis.

Anyone with half a brain can work out that it wasn't you that personally called for slavery/racism, lol.
    Agree and the sooner those busy bodies discover what you said in the last paragraph the better.

I wouldn't say everyday basis but I have been a victim of racist abuse a few times to many for my liking and compared to most white people.

I put it down to where I live. I live in a area of the town which is 80% South Asian so in fact I am a ethnic minority where I live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    persecuted?

Awwwww :bike:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abara)
    There was a saying
    "The people who feel the worst in America and have no rights at all are men, who are, white, Christians, heterosexual and living alone"
    What? Not even the right to vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixx)
    What? Not even the right to vote?
    lol, fiiiine, you can get that, : D
    But the main idea is that if a white American who is hetero etc is beaten to death no one will pity him as "in the past he's been an oppressor"
    and there is no group that fights for the rights of the white, hetero, christian, single men ...
    There are feminists, there are ppl fighting for the black ppl, fighting for being not Cristian, giving grants for parents in huuuge families ...

I simply pity the poor guys lol

ReputationRep:
    Are you experiencing systematic criminalisation in the form of bans on particular cultural expressions, associations or assemblies? Targeted deprivation of civil and political rights or property? Are you the targets of systematic violence; pogroms, arbitrary arrests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abara)
    lol, fiiiine, you can get that, : D
    But the main idea is that if a white American who is hetero etc is beaten to death no one will pity him as "in the past he's been an oppressor"
    and there is no group that fights for the rights of the white, hetero, christian, single men ...
    There are feminists, there are ppl fighting for the black ppl, fighting for being not Cristian, giving grants for parents in huuuge families ...

I simply pity the poor guys lol
    Republican party

... Okay, maybe not single men.

ReputationRep:
    persecuted is a strong word.
    but on the positive discrimintation stage we definatly dont have much going for us.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.