Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Dear God.
    or you weren't, in which case you were just talking irrelevant rubbish.
    You are right.

Leave it at that.

For the record though have you ever been to a football match?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    I've never enslaved anyone / committed genocide / exploited the globe, yet I have been *****ed at once in a while.

Your point sucks ass.
    Indeed. It is laughable that these people will look into the past for legitimacy. Anachronism is one of the worst crimes an historian can commit. And that is just what it is: anachronism. To attempt to rationalise such a case as Lefty Leo has simply involves imposing today's morals on past events - it's like saying that an autocratic monarchy was "bad", when this is judged by today's standards. I don't agree with this. No-one attempting to make such a point should be a source for moral judgement. They should never try and empathise with past peoples by addressing a period with a present-mindedness that was non-existant at the time. Just relay facts, and let the close-minded consider whether or not it was "bad", or "wrong", or "sad". One thing is certain, and that is that a person should never use one social, moral and political outlook to rationalise a completely different one. And, too, the point you make that his point involves using personal prejudicial stereotyping and categorising of whites as "enslavers", "genocide committers", and "global exploiters" does nothing but undermine his argument, in that such occurrences came about through exactly the same attitude he's employing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Nope, but your country has benefitted massively from all those activities at the detriment of other peoples.

Don't like the country and its history.

You know were the airport is fella.

(Original post by mrst269)
    Don't like the country and its history.

You know were the airport is fella.
    AH lovely argument. And that would leave people like you left behind. I think the country is better off with me in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Disclaimer: This is a generalisation and was just wondering peoples points. A debate is better than attack so lets try that .

As a white male myself I feel that we are an oft persecuted group for the things that happened in the past, thinking along the lines of slavery of 'womens oppresion' etc.

Do any other white males out there feel that sometimes we can be persecuted just because of the things our ancestors did?

(Note: I might not have articulated my point that well, always feels weird on a forum but hopefully people can begin a debate an see where we go from there.)
    Yes I do.

The male generation being scapegoated for what their ancestors did is inexcusable.

Though it's societies fault. Whilst bending over backwards for equality (which will never exist) it has forgotten the hardships and difficulty a lot of men face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Disclaimer: This is a generalisation and was just wondering peoples points. A debate is better than attack so lets try that .

As a white male myself I feel that we are an oft persecuted group for the things that happened in the past, thinking along the lines of slavery of 'womens oppresion' etc.

Do any other white males out there feel that sometimes we can be persecuted just because of the things our ancestors did?

(Note: I might not have articulated my point that well, always feels weird on a forum but hopefully people can begin a debate an see where we go from there.)
    Oh wow. Trolling hard there OP. Trolling hard.

But no you should not feel guilty for the crimes of your ancestors [your ancestors might not have even owned slaves]

ReputationRep:
    I'm a white male and i strongly believe persecution in the UK is simply a state of mind. Show me a race, or gender of people being persecuted in the UK right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    Yes I do.

The male generation being scapegoated for what their ancestors did is inexcusable.

Though it's societies fault. Whilst bending over backwards for equality (which will never exist) it has forgotten the hardships and difficulty a lot of men face.

hurrrdurrrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by herzblut)
    Oh wow. Trolling hard there OP. Trolling hard.

But no you should not feel guilty for the crimes of your ancestors [your ancestors might not have even owned slaves]
    How is he trolling?

ReputationRep:
    AH lovely argument. And that would leave people like you left behind. I think the country is better off with me in it
    So yet we are a evil colonial power.

Yet you still want to live here. Why is that?

You obviously just said you hate the country history. You(or your ancestors I guess) scream and cried for independence from Britain yet once it is obtained you fancied a bit more time under British rule. Strange if I hated a system and wanted to be away from it, I wouldn't bloody move to the source and seat of power so to speak.

So seriously, no one is keeping ya?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I get irritated when I'm expected to apologise for things done by previous generations when there is so going on in the world to apologise for now.
    When have you ever had to apologise? :indiff:

OP, I suggest a dose of psychiatric therapy followed by anal rape. It's clear that your hallucinations of being persecuted are a moderate symptom of schizophrenia. :yes:

So yet we are a evil colonial power.

Yet you still want to live here. Why is that?

You obviously just said you hate the country history. You(or your ancestors I guess) scream and cried for independence from Britain yet once it is obtained you fancied a bit more time under British rule. Strange if I hated a system and wanted to be away from it, I wouldn't bloody move to the source and seat of power so to speak.

So seriously, no one is keeping ya?
    Uhh no. But that doesn't change the fact that the years of economic exploitation has resulted in Britain being far better off than it otherwise would have been.

What are you talking about? From the mid 1800s onwards the Brits broke the back of our industry and made them into our main export market, long after they were competitive. For a hundred and fifty years we were bled dry, giving Britain a surplus with us while you had deficits with your white dominions and the US and Germany. So no, British rule, ultimately, left us in a far worse state, even if i did somewhat unify us (which is a lie in itself because the Brits sowed the seeds of division between the Muslims and Hindus, a problem which effected into the Pakistan/India split and the problems in India today, a result of backward social attitudes, themselves a result of economic stagnation for over a century).

ReputationRep:
    This is certainly another important point. The vengeful and the agologetics always conveniently ignore the fact that slavery, imperialism and genocide was pretty much always orchestrated by a political and social elite. Slaves were only owned by those who could afford them, Indian viceroys weren't exactly working down the mines, and over 99% of Germans had absolutely zero knowledge of the extermination camps. My ancestry largely consists of Midlands, North-West, Welsh and Scottish working class. I highly doubt these people had even seen a black person in their life, let alone owned an African slave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    When have you ever had to apologise? :indiff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhovR...eature=related

NOT IN MY NAME.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    How is he trolling?
    by making a statement he most likely does not believe in and then sitting back and watching the thread grow full of:

1) people annoyed or angered by his statement
    2) people who actually believe and agree with what he said who will then proceed to antagonise the people in group 1.

Trolling 101.

ReputationRep:
    by making a statement he most likely does not believe in and then sitting back and watching the thread grow full of:

1) people annoyed or angered by his statement
    2) people who actually believe and agree with what he said who will then proceed to antagonise the people in group 1.

Trolling 101.
    I think the only user thats mildly peeved is you! :p: i'm pretty happy. cant say he has angered me with his statement at all. he hasn't typed anything anyone can really get offended over..

ReputationRep:
    Uhh no. But that doesn't change the fact that the years of economic exploitation has resulted in Britain being far better off than it otherwise would have been.

What are you talking about? From the mid 1800s onwards the Brits broke the back of our industry and made them into our main export market, long after they were competitive. For a hundred and fifty years we were bled dry, giving Britain a surplus with us while you had deficits with your white dominions and the US and Germany. So no, British rule, ultimately, left us in a far worse state, even if i did somewhat unify us (which is a lie in itself because the Brits sowed the seeds of division between the Muslims and Hindus, a problem which effected into the Pakistan/India split and the problems in India today, a result of backward social attitudes, themselves a result of economic stagnation for over a century).
    The last points I could not give a **** about. No offence like.

What I want to know this you have come across by hating this country and obviously wanted your independence (and rightly so ). Yet now you have your independent country. Why not live there? . Somthing that you screamed and shouted for so long for. Only asking as you have come across to me hating this country, yet like many still live here.

As you brought it up mind how has Britain and my lifestyle of today benifted from events 150 years ago at the sake of your ancestors?.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be ridiculous...we have absolutely nohing to complain about.

"o no i feel so persecuted because people blame me for persecuting others..."

No. You Silly Man .

The last points I could not give a **** about. No offence like.

What I want to know this you have come across by hating this country and obviously wanted your independence (and rightly so ). Yet now you have your independent country. Why not live there? . Somthing that you screamed and shouted for so long for. Only asking as you have come across to me hating this country, yet like many still live here.

As you brought it up mind how has Britain and my lifestyle of today benifted from events 150 years ago at the sake of your ancestors?.
    I just explained how. By economically leeching India dry britain benefitted, which it has built on for further economic growth :wtf: Not that difficult a concept.

And yeah, i'm not here by choice but i'm using the opportunities i'm provided and will one day return

ReputationRep:
    People denouncing the white collective on the grounds of the actions of a political and social elite in the 19th century are usually the types who bemoan people for criticising Islam, because there are only a very small minority of extremists. Hypocrisy at its best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.