Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Physiotherapy at Bristol, Brookes, KCL, Brighton, Plymouth, Bournemouth Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, how's it going? Having a good summer?

Anyone here done/doing physiotherapy at Bristol, Brookes, KCL, Brighton, Plymouth or Bournemouth? I'm going to uni in 2010 and Bristol sounds pretty good.

How's the course at those universities?

chris

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Yeah I've just finished doing physio at King's

Physio was a lot harder than I imagined it to be. So if you wana do well, you have to study really hard! Lots of theory in 1st year. Not as many practicals unfortunately. But enough. You learn more on placements anyways.
    Lecturers are really good, and really know their stuff.

Anything you wana know in particular?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for the reply

"Physio was a lot harder than I imagined it to be"

haha, yeah ive heard this from a few sources. Thats ok though, i want the course to be challenging.

Have a few questions it would be great if you could answer

1. In regards to the theory, is it mainly anatomy that your talking about? Can you recomend any particular books that you would say it would be great to get now and try and get ahead on? I have an anatomy book and tidys physiotherapy already.

2. What sort of timetable do you follow for lectures and such each week? Also is it all done at the guys campus?

3. How does the placement part work? Can you pick where you go?

4. What about class sizes?

5.What grades did you get to get on the course?

Glad to hear you enjoyed the course, hope you enjoy the career, are you going to try for a rotation job in a hospital first?

chris

ReputationRep:
    1. In regards to the theory, is it mainly anatomy that your talking about? Can you recomend any particular books that you would say it would be great to get now and try and get ahead on? I have an anatomy book and tidys physiotherapy already.

Nope, you talk about the theory of conditions, analysis of things like gait and simple tasks like sitting to standing etc, you do lectures on the psychology of physio........as for books, don't bother. Trust me when I say you don't need to revise up. Its stressful enough when you get there let alone having to read up now. Enjoy your free time, there won't be much of it once you start

2. What sort of timetable do you follow for lectures and such each week? will vary from uni to uni. George's was in EVERY day usually for the whole day (although this tailed off abit int he latter half of second and most of third year) and there were daily practicals

3. How does the placement part work? Can you pick where you go?
    You get to list you local hospitals and they will endeavour to place you there if they can, otherwise you get what you're given. There are core rotations you have to complete and you will do these over the degree at some point. Some uni's do do elective placements so you can organise to go where-ever you like but these are fading out slowly

4. What about class sizes?
    again, depends on the uni - george's was approx 75, but somewhere like Manchester takes over 100 people. You will of course be split into further sub groups for thigns like practicals

5.What grades did you get to get on the course?
    You need ideally BBB or ABB depending on the uni

I only had CCD at a-level but did have a 1st on another degree so I guess that over rides it, but most people have BBB usually

ReputationRep:
    I'm at George's too - so rather than state everything again I'll just add on to what JAckie said. There's a fair bit of physiology to learn as well. I think class size has dropped slightly since her day - and is now down to the mid 60s, but as she said a lot of the time (anything other than lectures) you're split into smaller groups, often much smaller.

Some uni's are more practically orientated than others - George's has a reputation for being very practical, although that's not to say we don't do plenty of theory. King's readily admits to having a big theoretical side to it, although I'm sure they do a fair bit of practical too.

I'd echo the "Lot harder than I expected" sentiment, although so far it's really exciting stuff and I want to put the work in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainmacn)
    I think class size has dropped slightly since her day
    You make me sound ancient! I only qualified 12 months ago!

ReputationRep:
    lol - well not really, just that the guys just finishing first year are three years behind and it's changed a fair bit since then

It's not like Jackie is pre-war or anything

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, Will take it all into consideration.

When you say to not bother reading now, would it not make it a bit easier when you do start to get ahead? Im sure you have your reasons for saying that, sounds like its a pretty intense course! Thats good though, really, it means you will be prepared when you leave and go to work.

I actually posted all of these in the separate forums but it looks like admin have stuck it all together to save space. Anyone do any of the courses at any of the others i listed?

In regards to St Georges, its pretty close to me, so wouldnt be too bad getting too and from, i have an open day there on the 30th sept, but do have a main worry with it. That is that its a small uni, with only medical courses, so unable to meet people from other courses. Im really into literature, philosophy etc and it would be great to have a larger student population to interact with. How did you feel this effected you at St Georges?

Im thinking Kings is my first choice, im a bit worried about getting in though, as i know its a pretty competitive course.

thanks again for the replies, really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be starting at St Georges in a little over 7 weeks - not that I'm counting or anything :-) I think the intake for this year is 66. We were told at the post offer day if my memory serves me correctly that there were about 600 applicants for those places, about 200 of whom were interviewed. Kings will be the same, if not worse I would have thought, and it's probably a similar picture at the other places you have listed.

With regards to getting ahead, I would suggest you put your time and effort into getting work experience and finding out about the job. I think it's fair to say that without having spent time shadowing physiotherapists both in the NHS and privately, you won't even get an interview let alone a place. At my interview for St Georges and elsewhere, they were very keen to hear about what I had done to investigate the profession, and why I wanted to pursue it. When there is that much competition for places, anything that you can show regarding experience of the profession will put you in good stead.

From my research last year into the various universities, I think the theme is the same across all. The first year you are going to be spending Monday to Friday, 9-5 in uni with Wednesday afternoon off for sports. The second year you go on placement, so that will be like having a 9-5 job, and the third year as mentioned above, you get a bit more you time, but it's not to say that you will have your feet up playing xbox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    I think it's fair to say that without having spent time shadowing physiotherapists both in the NHS and privately, you won't even get an interview let alone a place.
    Not true I don't think.
    I only got work experience with a private physio, as I found it really difficult to get any in the NHS- everyone just constantly ignored me!
    I also did some volunteering in a care home too.
    I got offers for BSc at Manchester and George's, as well as MSc at Essex which was the one I took up.
    I think as long as you have a good understanding of physio and what it entails(I researched this quite a lot on the net, as well as chatting to physios as much as I could!) then they will be satisfied to give you an offer.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with djk - we certainly interviewed people who had no work experience but it certainly makes it a lot harder to answer the questions well so it's to be recommended. I actually applied the year before I got in and hadn't arranged any work experience days as it had been a last minute decision. I apparently failed on the fact that I hadn't lined up the biology exams, and managed to give good enough answers based on research alone. Having said that, all but George's rejected me out of hand that year.

In other words - anything's possible, but getting work experience (be prepared to not be put off by the first refusal) will help you a lot.

In response to Chris - I guess George's doesn't have as wide a variety of students and courses, but does have quite a wide variety of societies so you can often explore outside interests. It's linked to Kingston and there's recently been a merger with Royal Holloway, although quite how that will affect the way the place is run is anyone's guess at the moment. George's facilities are probably not as good in some regards - the dissection room and labs are great, but then it doesn't haev such good sports facilities as somewhere like Southampton

ReputationRep:
    Kings told me they actually dont interview, so its all down to the personal statement, better make it a good one! Is one day in an Nhs hospital enough? I will have other places (private, care home etc) that i will be shadowing in as well if all turns out to plan.

Ive got an open day at St Georges, does everyone feel this gives a decent indication of what its like to go to uni there?

Thanks for all your quick replies, much appreciated

chris

ReputationRep:
    Ah well maybe you don't need the raft of work experience that I thought you did then, but to be honest, I reckon the more you have, the better. I think a day in an NHS hospital would be enough, it gives you something to talk about anyway. I think that coupled with your private stuff, that will do you. The first 5 minutes or so of the interview were all about telling them what I had done to investigate why I wanted to be a physio. Had you not done anything to shadow a practitioner, then it would have been very hard to talk about that with any sort of conviction.

In terms of the open day, I didn't go to one, so I can't comment. I did go and have a look round on my own though after the interview, and on the day itself, they gave us a walk round the labs and various facilities anyway. I got a pretty good feel for the place spending a few hours there anyway without having to do any sort of a detailed walk around.

ReputationRep:
    the feedback from the open days run earlier in the year seemed pretty good, assuming it's a physio specific one rather than a generic one.

I would add to my post above where I said I hadn't got work experience first time round that I had done a fair bit of reading up on the CSP website and speaking to various friends who worked in the NHS, so I had something to say in answer to the question Mike mentions. I've also helped out with interview and if someone shrugs and says "nothign really" then it does look pretty bad

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.