Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do Meduims talking to the dead prove there is life after death? watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Harribot)
    Please say this is meant as a joke?
    The story and events are totally true. But make of it what you will. I find it an amusing story, but nothing more than that.

They are the cleverest con artists around today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    they're not, because they tell the family things that they could never have know, that only the family and the dead person knew.
    There were a few studies done on this which showed that people couldn't contact the dead. Basically the person who was about to die gave a code word to a loved one and then died. The code word was never repeated by the mediums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    I've heard of these so called 'spiritualist churches' who do things like claiming to talk to the dead.

But they are not proper churches in my opinion. They don't seem to really follow the Bible and Jesus and add in all these extra things, like talking to the dead being a main aim of theirs....be wary of them.
    The major difference really is their belief in life after death. Spiritualism is a recognised religion and shares many similarities with Christianity (and other religions) - I think the founders were former Christians? Its morals etc. are essentially the same; they have the same liturgical practices, sing hymns... they're pretty interesting services actually. Much more interesting than a christian one (well, roman catholic anyway). They're not all weirdos, they're pretty normal people.

ReputationRep:

I'm sensing something. I think it's a John.... no wait, it's more of a James.... no, no it's a Jeremy isn't it... ah, I've got it, it's Julia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelser)
    The major difference really is their belief in life after death. Spiritualism is a recognised religion and shares many similarities with Christianity (and other religions) - I think the founders were former Christians? Its morals etc. are essentially the same; they have the same liturgical practices, sing hymns... they're pretty interesting services actually. Much more interesting than a christian one (well, roman catholic anyway). They're not all weirdos, they're pretty normal people.
    NORMAL people don't talk to the dead

ReputationRep:
    Most people posting on this topic haven't really bothered with the paranormal scene and therefore claim that it's all tricks. What I find ironic are religious people who don't definitely believe this can't exist. The real hustler scam was an interesting watch, but I think it's rather faulty to draw the conclusion that most sheep are white sheep therefore sheep can only be white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    ...they definitely contact them because they know things they couldn't have known otherwise , this must prove that when you die you're not really dead...

i think it does.
    i think you're a guillible impressionable fool :cool:

ReputationRep:
    NORMAL people don't talk to the dead
    Define normal?

Billions of people speak to an "entity" (call it what you will) that they've never seen or heard all over the world. Some think they've "felt the presence". Some are "overcome with the spirit". Some call him God.

I'm 102% positive that the idea of speaking to the dead has been around for longer than christianity, or indeed any other major religion, has existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anamaria90)
    If I started talking to an invisble unicorn does that mean that there really is one there?
    exactly this.

ReputationRep:
    the haunting in Connecticut ftw

ReputationRep:
    I'm 102% positive that the idea of speaking to the dead has been around for longer than christianity, or indeed any other major religion, has existed.
    I also believe that talking to the dead has been around since the dawn of time. I just don't think that the dead talk back.

ReputationRep:
    Define normal?

Billions of people speak to an "entity" (call it what you will) that they've never seen or heard all over the world. Some think they've "felt the presence". Some are "overcome with the spirit". Some call him God.

I never said that religious people are normal either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    If you've been to a medium who actually did have magical powers, it would have been easier to just say that.

If not, it's silly to believe in them, just because it's theoretically possible. You might as well believe in mermaids.
    There's a huge difference between something that is obliviously made up, and something that might be made up from the past. As it happens mermaid might just be a fairy tale, but then again it might have been based on a interpretation of a real life creature. Sort of how lizards resemble that of dragons etc.

Meh. I find it stupid how many people reject ideas of paranormal for empiricism/materialism and then make huge claims like free will exists.

ReputationRep:
    I also believe that talking to the dead has been around since the dawn of time. I just don't think that the dead talk back.
    Indeedy. I used to be obsessed with the paranormal and parapsychology, I think I've read too many theories to ever know what to believe. My favourite (and probably least believable) theory is that messages from the dead and sightings are projections of the past that have been recorded in stone and inanimate objects?!

That said, apparently some time ago the hubble telescope or a satellite was picking up earth images from the past. I can't remember the specifics, I read this years ago. My religious studies teacher brought it up in a discussion in sixth form actually, that was interesting. Google didn't find me any articles just now though - not that I searched particuarly hard.

ReputationRep:
    I never said that religious people are normal either.
    True that

ReputationRep:
    i'm sensing a fail...a fail...a failinggg....a failing thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    There's a huge difference between something that is obliviously made up, and something that might be made up from the past. As it happens mermaid might just be a fairy tale, but then again it might have been based on a interpretation of a real life creature. Sort of how lizards resemble that of dragons etc.

Meh. I find it stupid how many people reject ideas of paranormal for empiricism/materialism and then make huge claims like free will exists.
    I don't really get your point :/

Are you saying that psychic powers are obviously made up, because I thought you were arguing the other way?

And maybe mermaids were based on real creatures, but that doesn't mean they exist.

ReputationRep:
    Indeedy. I used to be obsessed with the paranormal and parapsychology, I think I've read too many theories to ever know what to believe. My favourite (and probably least believable) theory is that messages from the dead and sightings are projections of the past that have been recorded in stone and inanimate objects?! .
    haha - stone tape theory, also my favourite explanation, and I don't care how unlikely it is :yes:

(Don't worry - I've also spent way too much time reading about this )

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get your point :/

Are you saying that psychic powers are obviously made up, because I thought you were arguing the other way?

And maybe mermaids were based on real creatures, but that doesn't mean they exist.
    There's a huge difference between claiming that Aliens exist and claiming that an invisible pink unicorn that can morph into a mermaid exists. That's what I'm talking about. One is obliviously created on the spot, while the other might be made up. Then again it's possible that it's actually true, that aliens do exist.

In the same manner paranormal abilities might exist. People don't really have enough evidence to dismiss it, but it's done in the same manner that people dismiss God because it's just easier to say: Well there's definitely no proof, BUT any proof that comes into light must be a lie. It's just rigid.

There's plenty of weird stuff in the world that occur that people don't believe exists. Just rather than call it magical powers, people just call it natural abilities.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.