Turn on thread page Beta

BBC News article: ''My sham degree from UK 'college' '' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    A first class degree from india but no common sense.
    even that might be fake

ReputationRep:
    If you lack the ability to even look up a school on one of the standard MBA school league tables, then I'd imagine you'd have an hard time getting accepted by an accredited business school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcosgll)
    I was reading the BBC News website, and I just found out this article, about bogus colleges, which offer useless degrees to foreign students, usually by tricking them:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8165269.stm

What do you think about this?
    old news

ReputationRep:
    The question is how can the government be so dumb to give these students visas without carrying out prior checks to investigate whether these colleges are actual colleges or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    The question is how can the government be so dumb to give these students visas without carrying out prior checks to investigate whether these colleges are actual colleges or not.

government is dumb

thats the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cconstant)
    I think its fantastic
    lol, full credit for getting the first reply also :yep:

ReputationRep:
    He got a first class degree and fell for that kind of scam?

This article says more about the Indian educational establishment then the British.

ReputationRep:
    He should have looked into it further, but I think more should be done to stop places like this do this.

ReputationRep:
    surely surely if you were looking to do an M...B....A!!!!! the cost of it at this 'college' would have seemed disproportionately and suspiciously cheap compared to other universities!

Also, most people looking into an MBA around the world and esp. somebody with a first class degree from an Indian Institute (IIM?) would have heard of Said Business School, LSE, Imperial, Cass, Warwick etc. - but probably not the 'University of Stepney Green'.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha thats funny

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...glad he managed to get out of the situation and got a good job but did he not even do a tiny bit of research? This scam universities will probably always be around but a bit of common sense from potential students will go a long way. And I also wonder about how they managed to get student visas as well. Damn government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shayke)
    Not being funny, but this reminds me of the whole, you have been selected to be given $1 million from my dead father's bank account because it can't be given to me.

Seems obvious it was a scam... no?
    Thats an obvious scam....

ReputationRep:
    If they are stupid enough to think an email sent out of the blue is real then oh dear. Their fault. Bet they logged onto these banks that send you stuff in 'email' Idiots
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's easy to make a fool part with his money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edge)
    government is dumb

thats the problem
    haha very true

ReputationRep:
    I guess I should be glad(rather than pissed off for confusing me) that the PBS visa system is being implemented. But the question is how much effort does the UKBA put into ensuring that the institution is bogus or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Haven't you seen the 'War on Everything' where they get a dog a fake phd in medicine and take it into a hospital to apply for jobs?
    Yeah, the Chasers is legendary.

ReputationRep:
    this guy would defineatly fall for it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w60Sxop5I38

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Thats an obvious scam....
    Yes.

He got an email saying his CV had been selected and they offered him a place on a course.

Not dissimilar to: you've been selected for me to transfer funds to your bank account. Give me your bank account no. and sort code and I'll send the money across.

ReputationRep:
    Some people still haven't learnt that **** happens when you open junk mail.
    I don't see why these students with 'Firsts', with email addresses, cannot simply 'research' the college/university that they are about to go to. No even simpler. Just type it into google. If it doesn't come up. It doesn't exist!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.