Turn on thread page Beta

Need some other advice for my Mum watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

My mum is 55, (a young one!), and she goes the gym at least 3 times a week every week since I was a baby so she's pretty healthy. Anyway she's retired now and living the life of luxury with my Dad being a spouse on the cruise liners.

To cut a long story short she hasn't ran fr a good 15 or so years and just walked on the treadmill but she said how she always wanted to get back running. Seen as I'd heard alot of success stories I shown her the couch to 5k plan on how to get from walking to be able to run comfortably.

She's been doing the first and second week fine although she has a knee ache at the moment and she spoke to just a random girl in the gym and told her to stop running and just do the cross trainer etc.

Now I don't know the science about this but I know it puts alot of pressure on the knees and what not and I'm not sure if in the long run she should just go back to walking on the treadmill. She'd rather continue running but It might make sense to be cruel to be kind. I just don't want to say carry on and then her really mess up her knees.

Here is what she said to me in my e-mail;

"I am glad u emailed me as i was thinking of attempting the third in the 2nd week's programme, even though i still have a slight ache in knees. I will tell u what happened & then it would be great if u checked it out on that forum.I looked to find an answer but only come across actual injuries, which i haven't got. I had to get the 3 sessions in by tomorrow, but as i am on the tour from 06.30 for 9 hours, i knew tomorrow was a no go. So i did my first 1 (of 2nd weeks) on Monday & the 2nd 1 on Tuesday as i knew gym would be chocca wed as it was a sea day.So i have only to-day to complete it really. My knees weren't too bad on Tuesday, but yesterday they ached most of the day, just a dull ache really, not a strong pain. They sometimes do the same after i walk up & down the hill in Santorini.When i ran years ago i never got this ache at all.Talking to girl in gym, she reckons i should give up & do analiptical (not sur how u spell) training, which isn't as hard on knees.I think its the likes of the cross trainer, but set at different challenges ???? I would prefer to run tho, as it will be nice to do at home round, so see what u can find out.Maybe age is relevant ?"

So I just wondered what peoples opinions were, obviously some people on here do sport science and what not and could advise her. I didn't think the intensity was too hard for how often she goes the gym but maybe age is catching up to her? I know people in their 30s not able to play footy because of their knees.

Thanks Guys
    Matt

ReputationRep:
    If she hasn't ran for years it might be putting strain on the tendons. Might be better to cycle. Is she streching properly? she might need to ease into it a little more and then she'll get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my 20's and get some issues with my knees so tell her it probably isn't an age issue.

The cross-trainer is not much better than the treadmill imo. Also try the following suppliments:

Glucosamine Sulphate
    Calcium

May also want to look at buying a knee support.

ReputationRep:
    So I shouldn't tell her to quit altogether? I see in some quite a few over 50s running on treadmills but most seem to not bother. I think she is enjoying this program so with the advice so far from you two it seems good news, I'm going to pass on all this advice in reply later, get some views from either side or maybe its all agree its not time to hang up her running shoes.

My initial instinct was to say don't bother because I thought injuring that could even make walking or general gym stuff uncomfortable, but then I have nothing to base that on other then perhaps being ageist(lol)?, no experience with injuries, biology or sport in them kind of areas since gcse ;p

ReputationRep:
    Well i dont really think it is age although age wont be helping her joints. I know a fair few blokes over 50 who are good runners. Women dont tend to run as much as men in my opinion so if shes already running i think it would be great to keep at it. Just not to go overboard and yeah cycling/cross trainer is a good idea (hopefully it wont cause an ache) together

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, it never harms to get the opinion of a doctor (this is recommended to all people who start an exercise regime, not just older people)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    On a side note, it never harms to get the opinion of a doctor (this is recommended to all people who start an exercise regime, not just older people)
    No doctors have no idea. They'll probably just tell you to rest which isn't usually the best thing.

If she wants to see someone she should see a physiotherapist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    No doctors have no idea. They'll probably just tell you to rest which isn't usually the best thing.

Yep, and all that is pretty tough as she's on a ship until October!! In fairness she could go in port but I think she'd just rather stop running then go down that route.

She could ask an on board personal trainer but most peoples opinions on them isn't great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattw89)
    Hi everyone,

My mum is 55, (a young one!), and she goes the gym at least 3 times a week every week since I was a baby so she's pretty healthy. Anyway she's retired now and living the life of luxury with my Dad being a spouse on the cruise liners.

To cut a long story short she hasn't ran fr a good 15 or so years and just walked on the treadmill but she said how she always wanted to get back running. Seen as I'd heard alot of success stories I shown her the couch to 5k plan on how to get from walking to be able to run comfortably.

She's been doing the first and second week fine although she has a knee ache at the moment and she spoke to just a random girl in the gym and told her to stop running and just do the cross trainer etc.

Now I don't know the science about this but I know it puts alot of pressure on the knees and what not and I'm not sure if in the long run she should just go back to walking on the treadmill. She'd rather continue running but It might make sense to be cruel to be kind. I just don't want to say carry on and then her really mess up her knees.

Here is what she said to me in my e-mail;

"I am glad u emailed me as i was thinking of attempting the third in the 2nd week's programme, even though i still have a slight ache in knees. I will tell u what happened & then it would be great if u checked it out on that forum.I looked to find an answer but only come across actual injuries, which i haven't got. I had to get the 3 sessions in by tomorrow, but as i am on the tour from 06.30 for 9 hours, i knew tomorrow was a no go. So i did my first 1 (of 2nd weeks) on Monday & the 2nd 1 on Tuesday as i knew gym would be chocca wed as it was a sea day.So i have only to-day to complete it really. My knees weren't too bad on Tuesday, but yesterday they ached most of the day, just a dull ache really, not a strong pain. They sometimes do the same after i walk up & down the hill in Santorini.When i ran years ago i never got this ache at all.Talking to girl in gym, she reckons i should give up & do analiptical (not sur how u spell) training, which isn't as hard on knees.I think its the likes of the cross trainer, but set at different challenges ???? I would prefer to run tho, as it will be nice to do at home round, so see what u can find out.Maybe age is relevant ?"

So I just wondered what peoples opinions were, obviously some people on here do sport science and what not and could advise her. I didn't think the intensity was too hard for how often she goes the gym but maybe age is catching up to her? I know people in their 30s not able to play footy because of their knees.

Thanks Guys
    Matt
    My aunt torn a muscle at 39. Your mum's done well. Get it checked out by GP if bad? Rest it?

Your mum must be fit... not in the sexual way though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)

What I mean is that a GP can give her a basic bill of health.

ReputationRep:
    Running is a really good idea for one simple reason: Prevention of osteoporosis. She's around the age of menopause and high impact things like running will help her bones remain strong. If she's having pains make sure her current running shoes have enough cushioning, go to a pro running shop and get a good pair fitted depending on her gait and needs. Asics are usually good and well priced.

Actually the post above makes a very good point! Does she have proper running shoes? My mum is 50 and a very keen runner after getting into it a couple of years ago, she enters 10Ks etc but was having lots of problems with pain before she invested in properly fitted running shoes and spent some time have physio sessions.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, not one person has advised stop running, so I'll speak to her. Does anyone else know anything sciency about it, I'll tell her to get some running shoes. When she's back I might take her to my gym for some gait analysis and get her some shoes.

ReputationRep:
    Any local running club event will highlight the vast demographic that running spans. There's veteran classes reaching as high as 75 (and that's youngest in the class). If I recall correctly, one of the big ultras was won this year by a guy in his 50's... might need to google that one though!

ReputationRep:
    Most sport-type people I work with generally advise you shouldn't run once you're over forty five. The impact is bad for the joints. Even running regularly at a young age can have negative side effects, shin splints among them. Tell her to stretch regularly (stretched muscles protect joints better etc), and stretch WITH WARM MUSCLES. Swimming/cross trainer is advisable as there is no impact. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to try and take it more slowly, and also the footwear may make a difference too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecoffeex)
    x
    (Original post by Kash:))
    x
    It's months old and long been answered - please don't bump old threads for no reason.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.