The Student Room Group

eBay Returns Question

There must be someone who knows a bit more about the Sale of Goods Act than me out there!

I bought an item from eBay for £200 and paid £20 postage & packing, from a private seller.

The item arrived fine. It was described as "indistinguishable from new" but it turns out there was a faulty component. I'd need to send it away to be repaired at substantial cost, so after emailing back and forth with the seller a bit trying to work out a solution, I've asked to return it and get a refund.

The seller has now got rather stroppy, and is insisting that it was sold "in good faith" and is demanding that I pay to send it back fully insured, and then he'll refund the £200, but not the original P&P costs.

Looking around eBay, it seems most of the time I should expect to have my original £220 payment returned in full, and in some cases with a faulty item the seller should repay my costs incurred in returning it as well.

I would prefer to sort this amicably, but I'd like to know people's experience in this field. Am I entitled to P&P costs as well? Am I entitled to my return postage costs? If I start a PayPal dispute, what will they give me?

Any help appreciated.
Open a paypal dispute and deal with it that way, it's regulated and PayPal virtually always side with the buyer. Honestly it's much better to go through that channel than to do it outside of eBay.
Reply 2
Wzz
There must be someone who knows a bit more about the Sale of Goods Act than me out there!

I bought an item from eBay for £200 and paid £20 postage & packing, from a private seller.

The item arrived fine. It was described as "indistinguishable from new" but it turns out there was a faulty component. I'd need to send it away to be repaired at substantial cost, so after emailing back and forth with the seller a bit trying to work out a solution, I've asked to return it and get a refund.

The seller has now got rather stroppy, and is insisting that it was sold "in good faith" and is demanding that I pay to send it back fully insured, and then he'll refund the £200, but not the original P&P costs.

Looking around eBay, it seems most of the time I should expect to have my original £220 payment returned in full, and in some cases with a faulty item the seller should repay my costs incurred in returning it as well.

I would prefer to sort this amicably, but I'd like to know people's experience in this field. Am I entitled to P&P costs as well? Am I entitled to my return postage costs? If I start a PayPal dispute, what will they give me?

Any help appreciated.

My dad returned a watch that he bought off ebay which, much like your case, didn't fit the provided description. He had to pay the P&P to return it then he got a refund. I'm sure he looked into it before doing so, i'll ask him about it in detail when he comes home and i'll let you know if there's more to it :smile:
Reply 3
grodecki
Open a paypal dispute and deal with it that way, it's regulated and PayPal virtually always side with the buyer. Honestly it's much better to go through that channel than to do it outside of eBay.

I'll second this. eBay/Paypal's dispute resolution service is probably the best avenue to take. eBay should be able to arbitrate a resolution for you.
Reply 4
I'm slightly worried as to what will happen if PayPal don't side with me though. He did say the item was "virtually indistinguishable from new," and mentioned the specific part that's broken and said it was in perfect condition.

I'm happy to post it back immediately, but what can PayPal do if he doesn't refund me the full cost and instead just gives me £200?
Reply 5
Wzz
I'm slightly worried as to what will happen if PayPal don't side with me though. He did say the item was "virtually indistinguishable from new," and mentioned the specific part that's broken and said it was in perfect condition.

I'm happy to post it back immediately, but what can PayPal do if he doesn't refund me the full cost and instead just gives me £200?

Mmm... that's the risk you take with arbitration, unfortunately. :frown:
By the sounds of things, he's indicated that this specific part was in full, as new, working order and that's a misrepresented sale under eBay's rules, I believe.
It's a misinterpretation. Paypal will side with you, seriously.