Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i got eight grade 1's at standard grade (like gcse's and the top grades a 1)
    I got AAAAA at higher level (like AS)
    and just got my AAA to go to imperial this year

personal statement wise i dont think they read into them too much at imperial, i didnt get asked a single question about it at Imperial. they just asked why chemistry, why imperial (since i dont have fees up here) and then a couple of chemistry questions which they essentially walked me through.

i tink if you're going to apply to imperial though you need the top possible grades you can get, cause someone in my year got rejected but they only had one grade lower than me in their highers, so try your hardest to get top grades

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, if you get as far as getting a conditional offer, if you don't meet it there's not much you can do because nobody that I know of got in after missing their original offer conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottish_gurl)
    personal statement wise i dont think they read into them too much at imperial, i didnt get asked a single question about it at Imperial. they just asked why chemistry, why imperial (since i dont have fees up here) and then a couple of chemistry questions which they essentially walked me through.
    On that note, I got the distinct impression that my interviewer had only glanced at the first few lines of my personal statement on his way to pick me up from the common room. He seemed to know some things about me, but he appeared genuinely surprised when I went on to discuss other aspects of me that I had only talked about in the latter part of my personal statement. If I hadn't known it by heart it would have actually been quite hard to come up with something interesting about me that I could tell him after I'd answered the obvious "why Computing, why Imperial?" questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    On a side note, if you get as far as getting a conditional offer, if you don't meet it there's not much you can do because nobody that I know of got in after missing their original offer conditions.
    I got in two years ago, and to be honest it seems like things have been tightened up since then, but two of my friends missed their offers and got in.

ReputationRep:
    So from what I'm picking up, the general consensus is that if you have top grades, mentioning things like sports you do isn't really necessary, but can help if your grades could be a bit better?

What about non-"fun" things you do? Like, things that are related to what you want to study at ICL? Are those really important?

My teachers have continuously told us that grades aren't enough anymore, that everyone applying to top universities is going to have top grades, and that you need something to make you stand out. Cure the blind, walk on water, etc. :rolleyes:

I'm applying to Physics for 2010, and my grades are good enough (it's IB, so different from A-levels and a bit more broad), and I'm wondering what to say in my PS, and what kinds of things I can do to make myself stand out a bit more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    What about extenuating circumstances or anything? =/ Meh adds the pressure a bit heh..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    What about extenuating circumstances or anything? =/ Meh adds the pressure a bit heh..
    Lol I'm sure you'll be fine Incidentally, I know of someone who got in for Physics with CCD. Don't know what other mitigating circumstances he might have had though. Apparently he rang them up on results day after being rejected and they ended up giving him a place anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lykastar)
    You would be right... except that at all my other interviews I WAS asked about my extra curricular activities, even though they'd seen the same personal statement.

My point is not that playing sports etc is a disadvantage in any way, just that the character limit for personal statements is way too short, so you have to prioritise. In my case, there was way too much I had done outside of school that was closely related to my subject that I simply did not have any space left to write about 'fun' things, lol. In fact I didn't even get to mention every Physixy (new word!) thing I had done, just the stuff I thought would allow me to be distinguished.

Either way, getting in is the important thing, and whichever way works is a good one!
    Fair enough on you lol. I agree on the prioritisation thing, if you can put extra-curricular activities in then put them in. If you have better things to put in, do so.

I also must point out there's no point putting in waffley things like: "i played the guitar", "i play football". If you're going to write down your extra curricular activities, make sure that they are strong assets. Wouldn't want to dilute down your PS eh.

ReputationRep:
    ye when you mention extra curricular activities make sure you explain why these have been beneficial to meking you a better all-round person.

another thing i got told was that you will not get an interview at all unless your predicted AAA (the english might have to be predicted the A* now though, i dunno) so make sure you're teachers predict you at this level for A-levels

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I feel more and more that I got an offer by fluke :p:

GCSEs: 3A*; 1A; 4B; 1C; 2D
    A*s, maths and double science.
    Ds, Art and PE

AAAB at AS, now AAAA after a resit.
    Predicted AAA at A level.

I waffled about me being an air cadet for a whole paragraph, although I have done a LOT with cadets, plenty of qualifications, courses, competitions and I'm a sergeant

I did have a fair bit of UKMT and a maths summer school too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennikay)
    Honestly, I feel more and more that I got an offer by fluke :p:

GCSEs: 3A*; 1A; 4B; 1C; 2D
    A*s, maths and double science.
    Ds, Art and PE

AAAB at AS, now AAAA after a resit.
    Predicted AAA at A level.

I waffled about me being an air cadet for a whole paragraph, although I have done a LOT with cadets, plenty of qualifications, courses, competitions and I'm a sergeant

I did have a fair bit of UKMT and a maths summer school too.
    Your results make me feel much better .. I have a "didn't get straight As/A*s in everything" friend now, haha. You best get in! :p:

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: 7 A*, 4 A, 2B
    AS: AAAAAB( maths, further maths, physics chemistry, Chinese and General studies respectively)
    A level: Predict AAAA in maths and science
    UKMT Intermediate and Senior challenge Gold Award
    Qualified British Mathematics Olympiad
    Qualified Mathematics Team Challenge National Final
    Duke of Edinburgh Silver and Gold Award
    Ummm, I think that's it, And I'm from a state (comprehensive) school , does that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Your results make me feel much better .. I have a "didn't get straight As/A*s in everything" friend now, haha. You best get in! :p:
    Woo :woo: not just me then! :p:

I might do. 12 days til I find out :p: only worried about Physics, our physics teacher was terrible

ReputationRep:
    Woo :woo: not just me then! :p:

I might do. 12 days til I find out :p: only worried about Physics, our physics teacher was terrible
    Indeed, 12 days too many though, closer we get the less I sleep :p:

I think being a terrible teacher is a requirement when schools look for physics teachers, ours were all awful too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Still, I spoke to the admissions tutor on the open day and he said I'm more likely to get in with AAB than I am with AAA but a B in a maths/further maths module :woo:

So I'm feeling pretty confident, since everyone found FP2 incredibly difficult for some reason and I found it easy :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Still, I spoke to the admissions tutor on the open day and he said I'm more likely to get in with AAB than I am with AAA but a B in a maths/further maths module :woo:

So I'm feeling pretty confident, since everyone found FP2 incredibly difficult for some reason and I found it easy :confused:
    Edexhell?

I wouldn't know, I only did the FP1. Frustrating seeing all the year 12s coming out saying how easy the new FP1 was though.. With their watered down matrices and series stuff and distinct lack of differential equations.. I swear it's so much easier to get an A in further maths on the new syllabus.. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    AQA. Oooh, we didn't do differential eqns in FP1, think it's in our FP3. Have to know it by October though

ReputationRep:
    AQA. Oooh, we didn't do differential eqns in FP1, think it's in our FP3. Have to know it by October though
    Ahh our FP1 was based on C1 -> C4 with new content, all the other boards were just C1/C2 I think.. The new edexcel is just c1/c2 too, hence the jealousy hah.

Complex numbers, series, 1st order & 2nd order differential equations, polar coordinates and no doubt a load of other stuff I've since forgotten :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun we had polar coordinates in FP2.

FP1 was roots of quadratics, series, (simple) matrices, transformations, rational functions, conics, complex numbers, and more that I can't be bothered to write :p:
    Was quite simple I thought, we did it over a year, alongside D1 then D2. Much easier than FP4 :sad:

ReputationRep:
    It seems that people who have been made offers have all got the grades, but also done something extra in the field they are applying for (Eg the person who was an Air Cadet and the few people who had their own comapnies or whatever)

What about the rest of us mere normal mortals?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.