Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I handle this? Should I quit my job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    /////

ReputationRep:
    He can't fire you for that surely, it would be an unfair dismissal as far as I am concerned...

ReputationRep:
    They can't legally fire you for that, don't worry.

I wouldn't quit. If the bullying contines for much longer, tell the highest person possible, and say pretty much exactly what you just wrote here.

ReputationRep:
    It will blow over. Keep your head down...he deserves the gossip.

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to uni aren't you leaving soon anyway? Or you still working there part time whilst studying? I know everyone is saying this, but finding a new job at the moment will be hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    If you are going to uni aren't you leaving soon anyway? Or you still working there part time whilst studying? I know everyone is saying this, but finding a new job at the moment will be hard.
    No, I'm staying here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    No, I'm staying here.
    Fair enough, well all I can say is as already said, they cannot fire you. It will blow over and there will be more 'gossip' soon, besides it was only dancing, right?

ReputationRep:
    you can only be sacked for gross misconduct. spreading malicious rumours about a co-worker could be classed as this if he says it wasn't him, although no reasonable company shoudl take it this far if any investgation occurs tell him your really sorry and you could have worn it wa him, you didn't mean to spread it rounds and shakes hands like men.

ReputationRep:
    Don't quit. Guaranteed if your work is like my work, **** like this blows over pretty quickly. Don't perpetuate it, just stay quiet, keep a low profile, and the whole thing will be forgotten.

They can't fire you, and the whole incident happened outside of work so it has nothing to do with your employer whatsoever.

I would hope you would get some kind of apology from this guy for being such a knob but if not, keep it civil and just try and forget the whole thing happened.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I think he gave me a hickey but I can't be sure because I don't really remember I'd had a few drinks.

God, I'm just gonna quit.
    Oh right.. is the hickey there now then? If there isn't a hickey then chances are he didn't give you one...

I wouldn't suggest quitting I get myself in stupid situations all the time and they blow over

ReputationRep:
    It was about a month ago
    Aren't they laughing at him not you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    Aren't they laughing at him not you?
    People are starting to make things up about what actually happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    He can't fire you for that surely, it would be an unfair dismissal as far as I am concerned...
    Off topic, but did that video in your sig actually happen, or was it just mocked up with green screen etc.? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Firstly they wont fire you, they cant.
    Secondly he's the ass here for trying it on knowing hes married.
    Thirdly who cares what people talk about, you know its bull **** and I'm sure your close work mates know this too.
    Fourthly don't quid over something this little, it'll pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Off topic, but did that video in your sig actually happen, or was it just mocked up with green screen etc.? :unsure:
    [OOC] As far as I'm aware, it actually happened. You can see everyone walking past looking at the girls as they walk along, but hey, it's still possible. [/OOC]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    Firstly they wont fire you, they cant.
    Secondly he's the ass here for trying it on knowing hes married.
    Thirdly who cares what people talk about, you know its bull **** and I'm sure your close work mates know this too.
    Fourthly don't quid over something this little, it'll pass.
    all of this plus...

5) keep a record of anything untoward that goes on. So many young people don't do this but should. if he decides to bully you write it down or if anything at all related happens write it down. you never know if you can take them to a tribunal for constructive dismissal or unfair dismissal. You've done nothing wrong and laws are their to protect u. use them

ReputationRep:
    dont quit
    but also, for next time, learn not to chat about people in the office who are higher rank than you. even if they are a**wipes

ReputationRep:
    that would not be a valid reason to fire you

just stick with it and try and avoid him if possible

ReputationRep:
    You didn't do anything wrong. He should be the one who is worried. Do not quit your job!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried about going to work incase he says something!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.