Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,Do universities have access to your mental health records?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it would only be if you provide them, medical records are confidential.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay thanks ,but isn't it different for mental health?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    No.
    They can request a statement from your mental health team about your condition, but you will have to give your permission.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you do indicate on your UCAS form as to whether your mental health has ever been in question in which case, should you go for an interview at a university, I should imagine they would ask you further questions. However, I'm sure it would all remain confidential as there are discrimination laws in place.

ReputationRep:
    They could only get your health records mental health or otherwise if they have permission from you anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenos1)
    However, I'm sure it would all remain confidential as there are discrimination laws in place.
    There are some people they may need to inform. (for example, all my tutors need to know that I'm partially sighted and require handouts in different formats) You will be told if this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    Really, it would only be a problem if you are going into medicine or nursing etc where they would need to make sure you are well enough to do this, I believe all medical/nursing students have to see an Occupational Physician where it is important to disclose medical conditions/history etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenos1)
    I believe you do indicate on your UCAS form as to whether your mental health has ever been in question in which case, should you go for an interview at a university, I should imagine they would ask you further questions. However, I'm sure it would all remain confidential as there are discrimination laws in place.
    It shouldn't be asked in an interview. It has no place in an interview as it's not academic related.

You are asked to declaire a disability/medical condition/mental health condition for statistical purposes and also to allow them to track your application so you have be informed of Disabled Students Allowance. But I'm not sure whether it reaches the university during the application stage and, if it does, it shouldn't be mentioned at interview. It will immediately raise suspicions is someone did that to me.

You don't have to inform the university you have a disability or medical condition and you don't have to claim DSA if you don't want to. Medical records are confidential and there's no reason why mental health is any different. To gain access to any medical information about you (which they may need once you're at uni, say applying for a medical concession to retake exams) they'll need your permission first. You have every right to keep things confidential. Especially if things are controlled and you don't think you need help.

That said, I'd still advise you do inform the university of your mental health condition (or any condition/disability) when you're actually studying there. Therefore they can offer you help if you feel it's required. If you don't think it's required, at least they know about it and you are protected by the DDA and SENDA 2001.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.