Turn on thread page Beta

should I be wary of a debadged car? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking at a vx polo but it's had it's vw and polo badges removed and just wondered if this is something i should be extra cautious of? are they hiding something? Or is it just something people do?

I've heard it's a boyracer thing which could mean other things are wrong with the car? it's a 1995 so i dont want one that been wrecked

ReputationRep:
    i dont have Badges on the back of my car but thats because i had the back window bircked and the whole tailgate needed replacing (its all glass) i wouldnt think its much to be worrying about

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people do it because they think it looks better or in order to remove the "humiliation" of say, having a 1.2 when there is a 1.6 in the range. I'd only be concerned if the badges had replaced with ones of a model which the car is not, say a Golf badged as a GTI or the like.

In conclusion, if the rest of the car seems well looked after and decently maintained I wouldn't consider it a serious reason not to go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Nah its fairly normal, I have removed a badge on my tailgate. People just do it to make the car look better or if they smooth the tailgate

i debadge all my cars, just looks better

ReputationRep:
    didn't know if it was because it had been in an accident or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    This isnt an indication.
    Open the boot, pull up the carpet to reveal the spare wheel. Take the wheel out and then look at the shape of the inside of the boot from there. This will show if there has been any damage or rear shunts.

Is the car modified in any other way? Perhaps its just someone who did it for looks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of people taking 1.6L civics and trying to make them look like a type r civic. It's pointless , especially with the type r badge on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    I'm sick of people taking 1.6L civics and trying to make them look like a type r civic. It's pointless , especially with the type r badge on it.

I agree man. It's pretty pathetic, all those type r replicas, at least do it properly! I never debadged my 1.5 civic and I haven't removed my vti s sign in my current civic either.

I don't think it looks better when people debadge it whatever it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    I agree man. It's pretty pathetic, all those type r replicas, at least do it properly! I never debadged my 1.5 civic and I haven't removed my vti s sign in my current civic either.

I don't think it looks better when people debadge it whatever it is.
    Yes , it's down right pathetic , an very embaressing when a real type R wants to race you haha !.

I disagree , some cars don't suit badges , just liek some cars don't/do suit spoilers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    I don't know much but take a good look at the car. Ensure the color is the same everywhere. Often a car involved in an accident will have had a poor repair job, so check to see the paint matches all round and no slight different shades.

Ask for a HPI certificate, or run a check for it online.

Check the body lines all round the car. It should all look smooth and straight, any misalignment would indicate an accident.

Obviously check all service history and go for a test drive. Check the mileage correlates with the condition of the steering and pedals. If its really low mileage but the steering and pedals are worn it could be dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes , it's down right pathetic , an very embaressing when a real type R wants to race you haha !.

I disagree , some cars don't suit badges , just liek some cars don't/do suit spoilers.

I love the name acura :yes: Yeah plus you give the type r's a bad name when some guy in a crap car beats you

Fair enough, some do look better debadged, but I think it's rare and mainly for genuine coupes.

I really want a prelude these days 2.2 vtec vti, really affordable too with 200 bhp and looks so nice :o:

ReputationRep:
    there's a bloke who lives opposite us who has a citroen saxo. he's gone to a lot of effort to take off the 'citroen' and 'saxo' and to remove the logo from the front. it's like he thinks someone is going to mistake it for a lexus or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    there's a bloke who lives opposite us who has a citroen saxo. he's gone to a lot of effort to take off the 'citroen' and 'saxo' and to remove the logo from the front. it's like he thinks someone is going to mistake it for a lexus or something.
    :rofl:

Tbh I would debadge it too in that situation through sheer embarassment :p:

ReputationRep:
    I love the name acura :yes: Yeah plus you give the type r's a bad name when some guy in a crap car beats you

Fair enough, some do look better debadged, but I think it's rare and mainly for genuine coupes.

I really want a prelude these days 2.2 vtec vti, really affordable too with 200 bhp and looks so nice :o:
    That's the 1994 prelude isn't it. They look fab aswell. 152 MPH to speed stock , just brilliant. Can you put the H22A in like an EG6 ? or EK4 ? Or is the engine bay to small ?

ReputationRep:

I want to know what's going on anyway. Honda making these efficient engine. I mean the civic now days , the 1.6L VTEC has like 120 BHP , I mean seriously , that's homo. They need to start making the old typee r's lol !

ReputationRep:
    That's the 1994 prelude isn't it. They look fab aswell. 152 MPH to speed stock , just brilliant. Can you put the H22A in like an EG6 ? or EK4 ? Or is the engine bay to small ?
    Not sure about that actually, good question. Yes the 4th generation which you mentioned looks the best. But bit old right now, I would get the 5th generation 97-01 which didn't do so well. Still looks fine to me.

Really annoyed Honda killed of the Prelude and Integra :mad: But I suppose it was madness having too many honda coupe's competing amongst each other.

ReputationRep:
    I want to know what's going on anyway. Honda making these efficient engine. I mean the civic now days , the 1.6L VTEC has like 120 BHP , I mean seriously , that's homo. They need to start making the old typee r's lol !
    I have the MB series civic. Old skool. Even the standard 1.6 in the MB civic produces 123 bhp. In the EP civic the 1.6 produces 108 BHP!! How can they call it sport, it sucks!

EDIT-EK9, JDM, only available in Japan produced a staggering 185bhp from a 1.6 engine! Old days were sick.

ReputationRep:
    I have the MB series civic. Old skool. Even the standard 1.6 in the MB civic produces 123 bhp. In the EP civic the 1.6 produces 108 BHP!! How can they call it sport, it sucks!

EDIT-EK9, JDM, only available in Japan produced a staggering 185bhp from a 1.6 engine! Old days were sick.
    Two cars I'd like to own. They're just brilliant. And it's to do with global warming , and efficiency and all that crap , probabyl why cars are producing less power now day .

ReputationRep:
    Gorgeous cars. That EG civic really started things off for the civic name. Gotta say that prelude in dark red :coma:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.