Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should I be wary of a debadged car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No not at all, It's perfectly normal as people remove them for aesthetics, or becasue they don't want to promote the car for what it is. Many modified cars also have this, many occasions it's the first mod. Leaves a smooth finish.

ReputationRep:
    I would avoid debadged cars like the plague. Some ricer birk has probably had the car and thrashed the engine and gearbox to bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grodecki)
    A lot of people do it because they think it looks better or in order to remove the "humiliation" of say, having a 1.2 when there is a 1.6 in the range. I'd only be concerned if the badges had replaced with ones of a model which the car is not, say a Golf badged as a GTI or the like.

In conclusion, if the rest of the car seems well looked after and decently maintained I wouldn't consider it a serious reason not to go for it.
    I thought it was this reason as well, also if you mod your car and do smoothing think people leave the badge off to keep the smooth line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grodecki)
    A lot of people do it because they think it looks better or in order to remove the "humiliation" of say, having a 1.2 when there is a 1.6 in the range. I'd only be concerned if the badges had replaced with ones of a model which the car is not, say a Golf badged as a GTI or the like.

In conclusion, if the rest of the car seems well looked after and decently maintained I wouldn't consider it a serious reason not to go for it.
    When last ordering a car, I decided not to debadge even though the engine is only in the middle of the range (it's 218 bhp when there's 272 and 306 in the range).

To me it seems that some people decide to debadge their car to make it look like a wolf in sheep's clothing, particularly when it comes to performance versions of normal cars (eg. BMW 520i vs. M5).

Other reasons are of course, as you said, the felt humiliation of having the bottom of range engine or simply aesthetic preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    particularly when it comes to performance versions of normal cars (eg. BMW 520i vs. M5).
    I see your point there, but the differences are MASSIVE between the base 5 series and the M5, if anything people badge them M5s, not debadge them whatsoever. Even then, any idiot can see the difference. Debadging is done when the owner is a tit.

ReputationRep:
    I've debaged most of my cars, even when 'top of the range', purely because I don't always particulary like model badges splattered over the rear end.

just check that the logbook and a reg check with an insurance company confirms the car is what it is and I don't see why there'd be any more a problem than one with the badges on. People do it for various reasons, it's no big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbers)
    I see your point there, but the differences are MASSIVE between the base 5 series and the M5, if anything people badge them M5s, not debadge them whatsoever. Even then, any idiot can see the difference. Debadging is done when the owner is a tit.
    Most of the general public would not be able to tell a BMW M-Sport model from a genuine M car, to be fair.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.