Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    I know. My friend is training to be a manager at McDonalds... at the age of 19! She got E/Fs at GCSE though, so she had a lack of future options...

"She will most probably get a job at 18/19 and live quite comfortably" She doesn't have one?? And she won't live comfortably on minimum wage during a recession!! She'll get lot of benefits for her and her child...

Doing A Levels? What a waste of intelligence...
    At the moment no, she is enjoying the summer holidays after sitting her GCSE's and looking after her baby. She feels it's unfair to get a job and dump the baby on her mother all of the time. She will most likely get a job whilst at 6th form, when the baby is looked after for her the majority of the day.

ReputationRep:
    they shoudld use protection but everyone makes mistakes..as long as they stand up and take responsibility for it and take care of thier child..it's all good..live and learn..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LissRules!!)
    Is the childs father around? Did he also want to have a baby?
    Yes and yes.

ReputationRep:
    i've got a clear view, its through my front window.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think it matters on the age as much as the circumstance/conditions.

I think young parents are made out to be: unresponsible, stupid, junkies, benefit fiends and dirty. which is a bit unfair... even if a few of them are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jizzabelle)
    Yes and yes.
    Good. Glad shes happy and still able to do her A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    if they can support it then age shoudnt matter

ReputationRep:
    I dont sterotype. If they need benefits for a few year (max 5) to sort themselves out (education/job) then thats fine. But the ones that do ******* and just stay on benefits for life, i dont like.

I think that for all people on benefits (such as JSA, not working tax credit) for more than two years need to be stopped. Their just lazy. But they are some educated teen mums, mum that did use contraception and mums that do want to make something of their lives. So dont tar all teen mum with a chav brush.

The dads need to take responsiblity and be involved, I think less of them than the teen mums that dont ever want to work.

ReputationRep:
    my view on teenage mothers is the same as my view on non-teenage mothers. some are good, some are bad.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a shame they dont want to actually have a life before having to tie themselves down but meh :dontknow: im indifferent in most cases, pissed off in others.

ReputationRep:
    I pity them /= and the kid (imagine 14 year old parents, which are kids themselves!!)

No perfect career, no perfect education, ( just...don't have the chance to even try) no freedom, the kid may be loved, but the mum and dad no matter how much they love each other are together mainly because their relationship is based on sexual attraction and hormones and "love from the first sight"etc( you are young and sweet and everything is pink and pretty :>)...I may sound stupid, but I doubt that the dad won't leave the teenage mum after 3, 4 years...and if the parents of the mum don't want her back (she is a "whore" etc, conservative parents) where would she go? She doesn't have a husband and parents and is unable to work as she is a teen and has to take care of the kid...

The mum will be discriminated at work( even though its illegal) - "so young, yet has a kid, must be something wrong with her upbringing, is irresponsible, won't do her work well as there is always a baby crying. "

I don't want to sound bad, but being pregnant in ur teens is a really bad case scenario as you cannot develop freely as you have to take care of another human being.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have an opinion on teenage mothers as a group. Some can be really amazing mothers where as some struggle. I don't think that you can really generalise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)
    If they're over 16 and take care of their children they can have as many as they like. Good luck to them.

Being young doesn't always = bad parent.

they should be over 18, at least

personally, i dont think anyone should be having children before theyre ~25
    just because they are physically capable of producing a child, dosnt mean that they are mentally & emotionally able to raise that child.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your comments. Its nice to know that not all people generalise and will take people on there circumstances and not just label them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    Chavs and sluts. Many of them abuse the system of benefits.
    Precisely. If they don't, then it's their choice and none of my business.

ReputationRep:
    It's too hard to generalise some are fantastic some are not, this can be extended to parents of all ages though. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to go through all of that at such a young age. I personally would have not been anywhere near responsible enough to manage the situation, plenty of other teenagers cope just fine.

I do think if Britain had a different benefit culture the number of teenage births would be reduced.

ReputationRep:
    No views on young parents.

More miffed at the child support, housing benefits and heavily subsidised houses paid and given away by the government to single teenage mothers who became so with the motive of becoming dependant on the state. That's a bit *****.

ReputationRep:
    idiots, all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    To be fair, the baby's father was much older, and he gave her a lot of support.
    I lol'd :p:

ReputationRep:
    actually I bet the rate of teenage pregnancy is far higher in subsaharan Africa, Arabia, the Subcontinent and China than it is in the UK.

I wonder whether teenage pregnancy is viewed with a similar kind of 'shudder and disgust' over in those places as it is by many in the UK?

squish.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.