Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiceWeatherForAirstrikes)
    Thanks loads for all your advice If it's any help I did AQA A (old spec) Psychology A Level, I don't know which you did and whether some of the boards spec's are different/more similar to the first year.

As for stats, forgive me for being a complete tard but i haven't the foggiest what 'SPSS' is is it some kinda of software that works out the stats for you? But thanks anyway!
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I did that one, although I have a very bad memory so I could be completely wrong lol, but it does sound familiar so it probably was that one. But I'm guessing regardless of which exam board etc and uni you go to, some bits of the first year will be the same everywhere, like the kind of core psychology stuff. I remember doing about schizophrenia at A-level, and then doing it in uni 1st, 2nd and 3rd years lol. Was in more detail by the time it got to 3rd year, but the A-level stuff I learnt helped me pick stuff up quicker than stuff I'd never done before which is always a bonus

Yeah that's pretty much what it is. I think it stands for Statistical Package for Social Sciences. You just put all your numbers in, click a few buttons and then it gives you a load of numbers that, at least in my case, mean nothing at all and just confuse you lol. But it is quicker than doing it by hand, and even if you struggle a bit with it at first you should pick it up eventually. If I managed anyone can lol. Like I said, I was AWFUL at it at the start, but when it came to dissertation time I ended up showing a friend of mine what to do so it finally clicked lol ........ took 3 years but hey, I passed, its all good lol
    And I think some of the books on it have like practice exercises, and step by step guides and stuff so there's quite alot of help with it even without asking a lecturer/tutor-type person. And if your lucky you'll befriend someone who's really good at it lol. Me thinks you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *CaptainHerb!!*)
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I did that one, although I have a very bad memory so I could be completely wrong lol, but it does sound familiar so it probably was that one. But I'm guessing regardless of which exam board etc and uni you go to, some bits of the first year will be the same everywhere, like the kind of core psychology stuff. I remember doing about schizophrenia at A-level, and then doing it in uni 1st, 2nd and 3rd years lol. Was in more detail by the time it got to 3rd year, but the A-level stuff I learnt helped me pick stuff up quicker than stuff I'd never done before which is always a bonus

Yeah that's pretty much what it is. I think it stands for Statistical Package for Social Sciences. You just put all your numbers in, click a few buttons and then it gives you a load of numbers that, at least in my case, mean nothing at all and just confuse you lol. But it is quicker than doing it by hand, and even if you struggle a bit with it at first you should pick it up eventually. If I managed anyone can lol. Like I said, I was AWFUL at it at the start, but when it came to dissertation time I ended up showing a friend of mine what to do so it finally clicked lol ........ took 3 years but hey, I passed, its all good lol
    And I think some of the books on it have like practice exercises, and step by step guides and stuff so there's quite alot of help with it even without asking a lecturer/tutor-type person. And if your lucky you'll befriend someone who's really good at it lol. Me thinks you'll be fine
    Thanks loads I think i'm similar to you in that I need to know how i actually GOT to the numbers lol, so i might start out by learning how to do some of them by hand. I'm quite lucky cos my best friend (who isn't going to my uni - she's taking a gap year) actually took Maths and Further Maths A Level (got A's in both!) so I will no doubt be emailing her all my maths woes! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiceWeatherForAirstrikes)
    Thanks loads I think i'm similar to you in that I need to know how i actually GOT to the numbers lol, so i might start out by learning how to do some of them by hand. I'm quite lucky cos my best friend (who isn't going to my uni - she's taking a gap year) actually took Maths and Further Maths A Level (got A's in both!) so I will no doubt be emailing her all my maths woes! haha
    Lol yeah that could come in quite handy. I just got my friends laughing at how bad I was at maths lol, such good friends I have lol.

ReputationRep:
    some of you are saying to get work experience under your belt...but what exactly is psychology related work experience?? what did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunniah)
    some of you are saying to get work experience under your belt...but what exactly is psychology related work experience?? what did you do?
    www.do-it.org.uk

This is a good place to start. Anything with the disadvantaged could potentially be relevant. Ward befriending at a Psych hospital is a good one.

Anything in a caring role is good, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    www.do-it.org.uk

This is a good place to start. Anything with the disadvantaged could potentially be relevant. Ward befriending at a Psych hospital is a good one.

Anything in a caring role is good, to be honest.

thanks...so extra work experience would definitly help? would it affect the outcome of your final grade after the 3 years if you had/handn't done any?

ReputationRep:
    thanks...so extra work experience would definitly help? would it affect the outcome of your final grade after the 3 years if you had/handn't done any?
    Yes, work experience is essential if you want to get anywhere.

I'm not sure what you mean about it affecting your final grade though? It shouldn't be a problem so long as you prioritise and spend your time wisely.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, work experience is essential if you want to get anywhere.

I'm not sure what you mean about it affecting your final grade though? It shouldn't be a problem so long as you prioritise and spend your time wisely.

i was talking about the 2:1 thing or whatever i dont really understand it so probably no point in saying what i meant without sounding like a tube lol but thanks

ReputationRep:
    i was talking about the 2:1 thing or whatever i dont really understand it so probably no point in saying what i meant without sounding like a tube lol but thanks
    Well, work experience isn't part of your degree in that it affects your university grade. It's something you can choose to do in your spare time, and reflects which candidates have put effort into getting ahead of the rest of the crowd.

At university, the grades go:
    1st Class Hons - 70%+
    2.1 - 60%+ (This is the grade most people aim for, and is considered a good grade)
    2.2 - 50%+
    3rd Class - 40%+
    Fail

ReputationRep:
    Well, work experience isn't part of your degree in that it affects your university grade. It's something you can choose to do in your spare time, and reflects which candidates have put effort into getting ahead of the rest of the crowd.

At university, the grades go:
    1st Class Hons - 70%+
    2.1 - 60%+ (This is the grade most people aim for, and is considered a good grade)
    2.2 - 50%+
    3rd Class - 40%+
    Fail

oh right i get it...thanks very much, i was just about to wikipedia what they all meant lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.