Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finally are a-levels getting easier then? Watch

• View Poll Results: Are a-levels getting easier?
    Yes
    47.24%
    No
    52.76%

ReputationRep:
    A levels are not getting easier..I think students are just learning harder because they don't want to be the sore loser amongst their friends.

ReputationRep:
    i agree, A levels are not getting easier otherwsie everyone would be getting all A grades. The % is actually not that high only 25% get 3 or more A's the news just splashes it and exggaerates it. People are just working harder as there are less places, cause of the population explosion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    something you said
    Do you think the introduction of new A-Levels e.g. film studies, design and technology has accounted for the rise in A grades?

Or Can't there be more people taking A-Levels accounting for the change and the fact that there are many more subjects and students take more sujects?

(Original post by ALBERTA)
    A levels are not getting easier..I think students are just learning harder because they don't want to be the sore loser amongst their friends.
    I disagree. On TSR that's probably true, but not in the real world.

On average what 17 year olds prefer to study, rather than go out to clubs or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I disagree. On TSR that's probably true, but not in the real world.

On average what 17 year olds prefer to study, rather than go out to clubs or something like that?
    Love that vid on your sig, I get a cruel pleasure out of watching it.

ReputationRep:
    They are a little bit easier, but I think the main reason for all these A grades is because teachers have developed a style to tackle the questions and just apply this every year to their students.

They just need to totally overhaul the exams, the question styles, everything!

A-levels shouldn't get the stick though, GCSE's are the ones that are taking the piss! I cannot believe they are referred to as qualifications. They're only useful for demonstrating that you can read, write and do some maths. If you compare them to O-levels, you will see that 70% of the content of O-levels is found in A-level content today!

ReputationRep:
    In my personal opinion for sitting my AS exams this summer, I would say that Ia found the exams a bit challenging. I revised very hard and I dont think people understand that when trying to cope with 4 demanding A-levels the work load isnt easy to cope with. People need to also understand that the reason why more candidates are recieveing more A grades is because they are bringing in the A* grade by 2010. This means the grades will become baanced by then. It is not that the exams are getting easier, its to do with the scaling of the marks i.e grade boundaries are being set, to have a set number of A grades. Thats how the system works.

ReputationRep:
    The media have started the debate again.
    Now official.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    :rofl:
    So there's more binge drinking, underage sex, knife crime and 50% can't get 5 good GCSEs, as well as being able to get into uni with DDC, and apparently people are working harder....Seriously, if anything they're doing less work, if my school is anything to go by.
    My mum has 3 O-levels, and my dad went to Oxford with BBBD in his A-levels. With BDD, before resitting (which was possible at the time, at least at my Dad's school), he had two unconditional offers to uni.

I wonder what would happen if they just abolished resits?
    Subjects could be taught in any way but all the exams should be sat at the same session at the end of two years.
    Do you think there would still be 25% of A grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choirboy)
    I wonder what would happen if they just abolished resits?
    Subjects could be taught in any way but all the exams should be sat at the same session at the end of two years.
    Do you think there would still be 25% of A grades?
    The marking would have to be fair to have no re sits. Or the re mark process would have to be more fair.

ReputationRep:
    People forget that more people go into higher education these days, compare to 1959 only the truely academic people would be doing A level maths, therefore it was designed for more academic people. But they would also go on and get a well paid job, where as now you have to fight for survival to get a well paid job.

ReputationRep:
    Much as we'd hate to think so, yes. Next year, A2 English language students have one less exam than I did this year. They also have half an hour longer in the other exam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.