Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking English Lit next year for AS and then A Level and am looking for some recommended books, particularly classics, that I should read now to broaden my literature knowledge. Any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Do you know any of the books or themes you'll be studying next year? If so, then read around the theme and more books by that author. Other than that, there are so many different books you could read. Our 6th form gave us a reading list in the first week of September so you might get one too when you start the course.

ReputationRep:
    Oscar Wilde :yep: Sebastian Faulkes, Driving over lemons (can't remember who that's by), memoirs of a Geisha...

ReputationRep:
    If you know which books you are studying then prehaps find other books by those authors..

ReputationRep:
    Get a good range of genre - don't just stick to novels.
    I'd recommend a bit of Plath, Larkin and Eliot but if you don't want to read yourself into depression then find something funny, Wendy Cope maybe?
    I've just realised you're a guy and thus might not be [I]as[I] interested in these..

ReputationRep:
    If i was to go back to before i started AS, i would have chose; a theme, an author, a genre, or a period of literature, and read a few novels and poems regarding it.
    Victorian Literature would be good- Charles Dickens, Christina Rossetti, Robert Browning etc.
    Or just study an author - Jane Austen - she may be a bit difficult for some people straight away but should be admired - shes wonderful. (Pride & Prejudice, Emma, Mansfield Park, Sense & Sensibility etc.)
    Or some post-modern novels (get to waterstones or some place) & maybe Check out your AS course) !! I loved AS English Lit so- All the best

ReputationRep:
    I'd reccomend reading at least a couple of the following, they're quite popular coursework books: Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Rebecca, Frankenstein, The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowrax)
    Get a good range of genre - don't just stick to novels.
    I'd recommend a bit of Plath, Larkin and Eliot but if you don't want to read yourself into depression then find something funny, Wendy Cope maybe?
    I've just realised you're a guy and thus might not be [I]as[I] interested in these..

Hey, I'm male and you just listed probably my three favourite poets. In rank order! Well done.

Oh, and ask your teachers. They'll generally have a list they give to students if it's a large department, and if not the teacher should be more than happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, Dracula, Great Expectations. Some plays as well maybe? If so, Dr Faustus, Hamlet, Paradise Lost, The Ancient Mariner etc.

ReputationRep:
    PROSE
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    Brighton Rock - Graham Greene
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
    The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler
    Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    On The Road - Jack Kerouac
    The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
    Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
    Great Expectations - Charlies Dickens
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

POETRY
    T.S Eliot
    Tennyson
    John Donne
    John Keats
    Blake
    Seamus Heaney

Just some ideas to get the ball rolling, pick out anything you think looks good because the most important thing is that you enjoy it
    Couldn't think of any plays off the top of my head - maybe things like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? Shakespeare if you feel comfortable with it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.