Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am planning to take full ib next yr
    i am in 10th grade now and english is not my first language
    (i am still taking esl class though.. i will probably pass esl test next yr)
    is it ok for me to take ib english a1 sl?
    cuz i have no choice but to take it if i want to take full ib
    how hard is english a1 sl???
    i am good at reading but bad at speaking n writing

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to tell you that you'll be as prepared as anyone else, but you're at a disadvantage. For starters, there are 2 orals worth 20% of your mark in which you simply have to speak for 10 minutes each.

A large portion of it is reading, though, so as long as you can read and analyze the books well, I think you'll be okay. You do have to write about your reading, but if you can show you understand it, I don't think they will mind too much.

We have a ton of students in my school doing IB who don't speak English as their first language. I think you'll manage fine. From your post, you look like you've got a good grasp of the grammar and everything though.

All I can say is, if you think you're weak at speaking and writing, do everything within your power to practice and improve, because they're both important skills you will need in IB.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much !!!
    thesedays, i felt really stressed because of it...
    but u made me think that maybe i can do this..i will try really hard to keep up with other native students..thx again >_<
    Have a good day!!!

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I'd suggest that you take your native language as A1 SL Self taught instead of doing English A1 SL.

English A1 is a difficult subject, even for natives... In my class it showed clearly (by final IB results) who was a native/not.

Especially since you have just started learning English (or just not up to full fluency) don't do English A1.
    It will just be a fail subject for you which will drag your grades down.

In contrast to fakeplastictrees' advice, I don't think you've grasped the language fully. Especially as you have not yet passed ESL.

English A1 was the most difficult subject that I had. I wish I could have opted to do another language at A1.

But in the end it's your decision. Good luck with whatever you do.

PS. Please don't post in text speak.

ReputationRep:
    If OP wants to go to an English-speaking university, they most likely need English A1, but I'm not sure about this.

The other thing is, OP has 2 more years before the exams. That's plenty of time to polish up.
    My IB graduating year is honestly probably 50% native, 50% not (vast majority Asian). They're doing fine. The top of my English class is still those who are native or who have lived here (Canada) for many years and speak fluently, but those who are not native aren't failing or anything. If you need to take A1 and you work really hard at it, you'll do alright. Don't bank on a 7, but you're not going to fail it.

But like I said, if you do choose to take it, you're going to have to do a lot of extra work. It won't come easy. Read a lot, write a lot, talk to your English teacher for advice, be super social to practice speaking, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fakeplastictrees)
    If OP wants to go to an English-speaking university, they most likely need English A1, but I'm not sure about this.

The other thing is, OP has 2 more years before the exams. That's plenty of time to polish up.
    My IB graduating year is honestly probably 50% native, 50% not (vast majority Asian). They're doing fine. The top of my English class is still those who are native or who have lived here (Canada) for many years and speak fluently, but those who are not native aren't failing or anything. If you need to take A1 and you work really hard at it, you'll do alright. Don't bank on a 7, but you're not going to fail it.

But like I said, if you do choose to take it, you're going to have to do a lot of extra work. It won't come easy. Read a lot, write a lot, talk to your English teacher for advice, be super social to practice speaking, etc.
    The OP doesn't have to take A1 to go to a UK university. You can just take the TOEFL (which btw is SO MUCH EASIER than English A1 since it's really just testing if you can understand/write/speak like a normal person, whereas English A1 incorporates your brain and wants pure analysis.. which my brain is incapable of lol)

Two years is nothing as you'll have 2 years for 6 subjects which are pretty intense by themselves. If you slack in one subject, really you will get a crappy score. Even if its Math Studies! as some of my friends found out.

It just seems a lot of work to me, if I was in the OP's shoes, I would never. But then again, that's me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.