Turn on thread page Beta

Starting uni again (the second time)- financial support watch

ReputationRep:
    hey I need some advice, I'm 20 and basically I have been at Coventry uni for 2 years (and been absolutely depressed there) the first year I studied BA Theatre and professional practice but decided the course was not right for me.

The second year I studied BA youth work which I loved but not the uni, therefore half way through the year I sank into depression, I didn't want to leave my house and would cry everyday, resulting in me not passing the year. I went to the doctors who wanted to put me on anti-depressants and they referred me to a councilor.

Now I'm feeling better within myself to go uni this year in a different city however I'm scared I might not get any financial support from student loan as this would be my second time starting again.

do you think doctor notes will help to support my student loan
    application?

feel free to post anything that might help

ReputationRep:
    So you had 2 years claiming student finances? If it's still the same setup then I think you get a total of 5 years support so 5 -2 would be 3 years left (including a one year restart thing). Problem is, I don't know if restarts are unlimited. Maybe someone more learnt can clarify that.

I left uni after 2 years because of health reasons and the eventual poor grades. I want to restart but I don't know if I'm able to get any sort of funding, I'm 21 and feel down knowing that I can do much better if I didn't have this health issue dragging me down.

A doctor's note might support your application although I wouldn't count on it. They didn't want to know my reasons and kept going on about overpayments and other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    so they completely ignored your reasons for leaving university?

ReputationRep:
    You're generally allowed to start again after one year and receive full funding. If you've already started a degree twice, you'd normally be ineligible for any funding at all. It may be worth asking, though. In terms of having reasons for starting again, it's unlikely to be considered relevant, but again, it's worth asking.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.