Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for PPE at Oxford and one of the extracurricular activities that I'm thinking of mentioning is being involved in a LGBT campaign at a local University (Donation not Discrimination).

Should I do it, or is mentioning a controversial subject like LGBT too risky and might diminish my chances of getting an offer?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the views of your admissions tutors as to any possible bias against/for you. In theory, there shouldn't be any negative bias... but people today.... who knows, eh?

ReputationRep:
    or if you're concerned you could spin it somehow -eg call it charity work or something - it shouldnt matter but I suppose there is a risk of closet discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned that I volunteer for an LGBT organisation on my CV, and nothing bad has ever come out of it.

ReputationRep:
    If you can talk confidently about something they will/should not discriminate you for beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mention it if I were you, although they SHOULDN'T discriminate against you, you never know if the admissions guy will be some stuffy, narrow minded old man.

If you're worried, don't run the risk.

ReputationRep:
    Just say you campaigned for minority groups.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldnt mention it because I imagine the Professor ssessing the PS to be an elderly, right-wing homophobe.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think it depends on how you phrase it. If you mention it in the context of academic interest in the role of minorities within modern society, civil rights, the role of citizens, privacy politics, etc then I don't see the problem. If however you give the impression that you spend every weekend waving banners and putting bricks through peoples' windows, then that's probably not good, whatever the cause. I think the admissions tutors are far more liberal than perhaps the above posters give them credit for, but regardless of what the extra curricular activism is ensuring that it comes across in such a way that you present yourself as academically and socially engaged rather than a live-wire is important.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't then declare your love for Pink, Girls Aloud or vagina/penis (delete as appropriate) then you should be fine.

Then, if you do get the grades but don't get in, sue them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.