Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you use a timetable to study? Or don't you even plan?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Timetables don't work for me, full stop. I think they're probably more like a bad idea - what's better is knowing roughly in your mind what you need to do and sticking to it.
    I just used to allocate a number of hours (whatever available) each day for what I wanted to revise. I'd usually do a couple of pages for each subject a day, and so the times varied a lot (depending how easy the subject/topic was, fatigue etc.)... although it averaged out around the same total of time most days, with maybe like a 30 min - hour variability. Also, I'd be sure to use as much time in school as possible (even lessons - twas a terrible school) and elsewhere. That was that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't bother. I have previously made a weekly timetable but did not stick to it. I will try the day planning next.

ReputationRep:
    I don't. There is no point, because we eat dinner at different times every day or go out randomly. I have enough motivation to get it done on time without a timetable, usually.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I find it's better to just get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    i dont plan lol

timetables suck

ReputationRep:
    I do a general one for the week but nothing more specific than that

ReputationRep:
    Timetables always fail with me which leaves me feeling demotivated so I've stopped making them now. Instead I try to make a plan of "I will revise X unit of chemistry until I reach point Y then I will do A of biology until I reach part B in the syllabus then move on to..." Sometimes I make them goals for the actual day sometimes not, just that I will complete X before moving onto Y etc etc. For June exams I seemed to wing it more than anything though & worked out ok.

ReputationRep:
    i dont

i like to be spontaneous...plus im too lazy to make one :p:

ReputationRep:
    I spend longer designing it than actually revising.

If I have 2 weeks left then I'll spend 13 days planning the schedule for the last day :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanDerWaal)
    Do any of you actually make their own timetable to sudy and have a very systematic process of going on about it? I have tried this recently and it just doesn't seem to work for me. For instance, I might have planned to spend half an hour on a topic but all these difficulties crop up when I don't expect them so I just have to spend more time reasoning the matter out! Trouble is that when I do take the time I need to master an entire concept well I'd be totally fed up of studying so I wouldn't want to see the book again anytime soon.:eek3:

Anyway, this is kind of bothering me a lot cause now I don't have a guide to follow in order to study. Trouble is though, last time I heard someome say how their brother (whose got some exams coming up soon) is driving them nuts cause every available minute he has he just grabs the nearest book and studies like a maniac apparantly!! (and that is soo not me!!... so i was like:eek: )

So..i dunno what I should do really? Do you think this guy's approach is the best cause he's making the most of his time? Or is it better if i plan things out, albeit not rly following the plan? :confused:
    Make a plan and try to stick to it. These "little things" that keep cropping up are nothing at all, you're just trying to procrastinate. Trust me, I'm the master of procrastination and it doesn't pay off. I may be really hypocritical as I'm actually still unable to follow my own advice. Don't let procrastination overule you.

ReputationRep:
    For my prelims, I had a study plan. I found it really hard to stick to.
    For my actual exams, I just did what I felt I needed to do, when I had to do it. I did MUCH better.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, doesn't work at all for me. I don't do 'systematic revision' I just know that I have a certain amount of each subject to study before a given date and that as long as I do it before then its fine. If anything I'll spend a whole day on a subject and do what I feel like doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hlaalu)
    Make a plan and try to stick to it. These "little things" that keep cropping up are nothing at all, you're just trying to procrastinate. Trust me, I'm the master of procrastination and it doesn't pay off. I may be really hypocritical as I'm actually still unable to follow my own advice. Don't let procrastination overule you.
    Wow, that's a really correct analysis (unfortunately)!! :o:

I guess I procrastinate cause I'm not motivated to work most of the time... but then again I am somewhat of a perfectionist (if it makes any sense) so these "little things" really bug me and I would be able to move on until I cleared them out..

I suck at studying :mad:

Oh, and good luck with beating your own procrastination! :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.