Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you vote for a party that goes against what you believe just because everyone e Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've been talking to a few friends of mine and quite a few of them agree that Lib Dems are the best party to represent them. I strongly agree with this. but when i said so you'll be voting Lib Dem then, most of them said no because 'they'll never win.' Well exactly, they wont with an attitude like that. They don't go with what they really believe in because they fear their vote is wasted. Would you vote for a party that goes against what you believe just because everyone else is voting that?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people just vote for who everyone else is, they'll vote for whoever's most like their views and most likely to win.

For example, if someody was anti-tory they might vote Labour to try and stop the Tories getting into power, even if they didn't totally agree with Labour. The majority though vote for who they support though I think.

I think the OP has provided a good argument for not reducing voting age :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Instead of wasting my vote for the party that represents me, I'm going to use it wisely and vote for the favourite. I hope you've seen the error of your ways and will follow your friends in your vote.

I used to until May of this year - and then somebody on TSR gave me a very good post about why you should vote for the party you truly wish to see in power; and not just for the lesser of evils, and since then I have become dedicated to promoting a very unheard of party, because I agree with most of their views and I wouldn't feel right being passionate about the lib dems or tories (the two mainstream parties who I'd be most inclined to support, see, I don't even have it narrowed down to one!)

The conservatives are going to win this next election, I'm sorry to break this to you - but they will. I know you can't ever say 100% for sure, but come on. So whether you vote lib dem or labour - you still don't get your way, and let's face it, within one constituency will it ever be down to one single vote anyway? If it's down to just 100 they get all excited about that.

So my point is: it's definitely worthwhile voting liberal democrats if that's who you truly support, even from a pragmatic point of view! If enough people realise this, and vote lib dem instead of labour, they will become the second largest party in the UK behind the conservatives at the next election. Labour are unpopular enough to make this possible.

Then, once tories have been in for a term or two, or three - and everybody hates them as much as they hate labour currently, they'll turn to the second main party, and oh look ... that's the liberal democrats! Don't try to win the 2010 election, that's unrealistic, but it's vital that you overtake labour if you want to be in a position to win in future elections.

p.s. and good luck to you guys, I love many of the lib dems policies.

ReputationRep:
    No. I would never vote for a party because others are. My family have always voted Labour, but I'm going to break that tradition next year and vote Lib Dems because I agree with most of their policies.

ReputationRep:
    No party supports what I believe in, and I wouldn't vote for any of the current rabble. Cameron's Tories are a blue-Nu Labour, BNP are economic protectionists whose members have a dodgy history and UKIP are effectively single-issue (and are just as corrupt as the rest).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    For example, if someody was anti-tory they might vote Labour to try and stop the Tories getting into power, even if they didn't totally agree with Labour. The majority though vote for who they support though I think.
    This is my position. Next election I will probably vote Labour instead of the Lib Dems simply because in reality any vote against Labour may as well be a vote for the Tories in the current political climate. If it was the last election, when Labour were on more solid ground I might've felt more inclined to vote the Lib Dems. I know it's not ideal but that's democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    No party supports what I believe in, and I wouldn't vote for any of the current rabble. Cameron's Tories are a blue-Nu Labour, BNP are economic protectionists whose members have a dodgy history and UKIP are effectively single-issue (and are just as corrupt as the rest).
    So you don't vote then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    So you don't vote then?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Er, no.

ReputationRep:
    And the award for the longest thread title goes to.....

(Original post by JW92)
    This is my position. Next election I will probably vote Labour instead of the Lib Dems simply because in reality any vote against Labour may as well be a vote for the Tories in the current political climate. If it was the last election, when Labour were on more solid ground I might've felt more inclined to vote the Lib Dems. I know it's not ideal but that's democracy.
    Have you read my reply in this thread? I really want all lib dems to forget labour, and make Britain a liberal country again. :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Whatever party you vote for you'll get the same policies anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

Tory for me.

And like some above my family is littered with former Union men, Shop Stewards and fully signed up members.

They have ****** this country up big time.

If the BNP do get round to being a bit tamer and actully accept that some non whites are British and allowed to be members. I would probably vote for them, but until then in the generals always would be Tory. I lumped on UKIP in the Euros.

In a nutshell I vote for who I want and **** anyone else and what they think/say. Wont change my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Have you read my reply in this thread? I really want all lib dems to forget labour, and make Britain a liberal country again. :puppyeyes:
    I just read it, you made some good points. I think the combination of my irrational anti-tory feelings and nostalgia for what Labour used to be is clouding my judgement if I'm honest. I'm still undecided between Labour and Lib Dems but I have a fair few months to tick it over in my mind.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Im a real life lib dem party member, but I have to admit that I am unlikely to vote lib dem at the coming election. I have usually thought that you should vote for the party you agree with most, which for me (along with a large amount of younger people) is the lib dems. However I'm worried about what the Tories would do in this economic climate, and thus am likely to vote Labour to try and give the Tories less power. I hold no love for Blair or Brown, but I'm hoping new Labour is dead and they will return to more left wing and slightly more liberal roots. If they do not I am likely to vote lib dem in future elections, especially if they steal more seats off Labour at the coming election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Have you read my reply in this thread? I really want all lib dems to forget labour, and make Britain a liberal country again.
    Maybe they should have a name change: The You Don't Really Know What Liberal Means, Peter Hitchens, Do You Democrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-WOW)
    I've been talking to a few friends of mine and quite a few of them agree that Lib Dems are the best party to represent them. I strongly agree with this. but when i said so you'll be voting Lib Dem then, most of them said no because 'they'll never win.' Well exactly, they wont with an attitude like that. They don't go with what they really believe in because they fear their vote is wasted. Would you vote for a party that goes against what you believe just because everyone else is voting that?
    No, as you suggested, that would erode away the whole idea of democracy. The whole point is that through your support a party becomes bigger, to deny them of your vote would be doing the whole system an injustice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.