Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Substituting plain flour for self raising Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm making a cake and at home all we've got is plain flour,(the recipe requires self raising). I have some baking powder and was wondering how much of the raising agent would i need to get the sponge to rise as it would have with self raising flour?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    1tsp of baking powder for every 4oz of plain flour I believe

I'll check this up though! Don't worry if you don't get it perfect, it won't do too much harm!! - A lot of bakers actually use plain flour + baking powder instead of self-raising. What cakes are you making?? I'm fanatical about cooking

Happy baking :bigsmile: Photos on TSR after?

ReputationRep:
    I'd put in a couple of tsps but Im not an expert :P

Im pretty sure you'd need less baking powder than the self raising flour you yould use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    1tsp of baking powder for every 4oz of plain flour I believe

I'll check this up though! Don't worry if you don't get it perfect, it won't do too much harm!! - A lot of bakers actually use plain flour + baking powder instead of self-raising. What cakes are you making?? I'm fanatical about cooking

Happy baking :bigsmile: Photos on TSR after?
    ohmg.. im fanatical about baking too *hi5* (but mainly baking.. and baking sweet treats ) Well its not exactly a cake.. its a cakish pudding - 'Eve's Pudding' . It has apples as the base, and a light sponge on top.. served with custurd it is :druel:

I'll post up some pics when im done for your enjoyment Hope it turns out okay though

And thanks for the tip about 1tsp per 4oz.. now if therres a big catastrophe in the kitchen with the pudding exploding or something along those lines, I'll know who to give a negative rep to :p:

Now to get baking!

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    ohmg.. im fanatical about baking too *hi5* (but mainly baking.. and baking sweet treats ) Well its not exactly a cake.. its a cakish pudding - 'Eve's Pudding' . It has apples as the base, and a light sponge on top.. served with custurd it is :druel:

I'll post up some pics when im done for your enjoyment Hope it turns out okay though

And thanks for the tip about 1tsp per 4oz.. now if therres a big catastrophe in the kitchen with the pudding exploding or something along those lines, I'll know who to give a negative rep to :p:

Now to get baking!

x
    You know never know... exploded eve's pudding might be great!

If you want a more confident answer try asking eskimojo :yes:

Just out of interest how much flour are you using? It sounds like quite a large pudding, for this reason you might perhaps want to cut dopwn the baking powder.

For example 1 tsp - 4 oz is good for a reasonably small batch, but if for example you were using 32oz of flour I probably wouldn't go for it.

Let me know how much you are using and I'll give you my opinion on the matter

I prefer cooking savoury stuff myself... we should work together!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:

If you want a more confident answer try asking eskimojo :yes:

Just out of interest how much flour are you using? It sounds like quite a large pudding, for this reason you might perhaps want to cut dopwn the baking powder.

For example 1 tsp - 4 oz is good for a reasonably small batch, but if for example you were using 32oz of flour I probably wouldn't go for it.

I prefer cooking savoury stuff myself... we should work together!!! :woo:
    i just realised my feeble attempt at an emoticon in my previous post turned out as an 'x'. It was meant to show as > :drool: :yes:

I used 150 g flour so used 1.5 tsp of baking powder (heaped tsp ) And how big a pudding did you think i was making(??!) - 32oz... thats enough to feed a whole wedding reception :eek: lol

Yes we should totally work together - like batman and robin - we'll call ourselves the 'Baking Buddies' :cool: This is going to sound lame, but while washing up I was thinking, like Odeon's motto is 'fanatical about film'.. a good motto would be 'bonkers about baking' :p: hehe

The sponge seems to be rising quite nicely when checked, i do hope i dont jinx myself - still half an hour left!! :o:

x x

ReputationRep:
    it usually says on the baking powder tub

ReputationRep:
    I'd follow the instructions on the baking powder pack too! However, this link has different measurements for different things you're baking.
    Think you need to add like a pinch of salt too, but I forget why! :p:

I've substituted before copying the pack guide and it's been fine. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    ohmg.. im fanatical about baking too *hi5* (but mainly baking.. and baking sweet treats ) Well its not exactly a cake.. its a cakish pudding - 'Eve's Pudding' . It has apples as the base, and a light sponge on top.. served with custurd

And thanks for the tip about 1tsp per 4oz.. now if therres a big catastrophe in the kitchen with the pudding exploding or something along those lines, I'll know who to give a negative rep to

Now to get baking!

x
    :coma: Send me some! :puppyeyes:
    I've never made this. I might give it a go tomorrow or next week! :yy:

If you want a more confident answer try asking eskimojo

I prefer cooking savoury stuff myself... we should work together!!!
    Lol!!!! :o: I don't know the answer!
    Your advice is excellent, imo. I never even thought about that! 9 or whatever spoons of baking powder would probably be a messy, but delicious disaster! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Just to check, it is definitely baking powder you have, not baking soda? Otherwise that just adds more confusion! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    :coma: Send me some! :puppyeyes:
    I've never made this. I might give it a go tomorrow or next week! :yy:
    hehe, as soon as they invent some sort of software to allow you to teleport food from one place to another Wow, I'm sorry but I have to say... YUM . This Eve's pudding rocked my day, its better than the last couple of times I made it Was feeling in a jolly mood so gave sum to my neighbours. :woo: If you want the recipe, I'll be happy to pass it on to you

Oh it was baking powder I had.. however I always get confused between the two myself. Back in the day, my mum used to put soda in the cake mixture and the cakes used to turn out niccccce. Nowadays theres so much variety of everything :eek:

ooh ooh, I couldnt be asked making custard, so got some of the ambrosia devon custard stuff. But it was really thin-is that how its supposed to be?? I've never tried it before, so it was abit disappointing when i poured it over the pudding

And, I was supposed to take a pic for shorty.loves.angels so there i was with my digital camera, put some of the pudding in for me and my mum.. presented it in a darling way. Next thing you know I'm half way through eating it :mad: I'll see if I can take a pic later, when my dads eating it or sumthing lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    hehe, as soon as they invent some sort of software to allow you to teleport food from one place to another Wow, I'm sorry but I have to say... YUM . This Eve's pudding rocked my day, its better than the last couple of times I made it Was feeling in a jolly mood so gave sum to my neighbours. If you want the recipe, I'll be happy to pass it on to you

Oh it was baking powder I had.. however I always get confused between the two myself. Back in the day, my mum used to put soda in the cake mixture and the cakes used to turn out niccccce. Nowadays theres so much variety of everything

ooh ooh, I couldnt be asked making custard, so got some of the ambrosia devon custard stuff. But it was really thin-is that how its supposed to be?? I've never tried it before, so it was abit disappointing when i poured it over the pudding

And, I was supposed to take a pic for shorty.loves.angels so there i was with my digital camera, put some of the pudding in for me and my mum.. presented it in a darling way. Next thing you know I'm half way through eating it I'll see if I can take a pic later, when my dads eating it or sumthing lol
    :cry: Why are you teasing me?! *sigh* The recipe would be a wonderful alternative then if I'm not getting a slice! :yy:
    Glad it all turned out ok and you enjoyed it!
    I bought the M&S fresh custard once and have never gone back to anything else since! Sooo thick and gorgeously sweet! :coma: Can't remember what the Ambrosia one from a tin is like, but the mini-lunchbox ones are normally thick and yummy in my experience. Next time just add a pinch or two of cornstarch when heating the custard if you have any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    i just realised my feeble attempt at an emoticon in my previous post turned out as an 'x'. It was meant to show as > :drool: :yes:

I used 150 g flour so used 1.5 tsp of baking powder (heaped tsp ) And how big a pudding did you think i was making(??!) - 32oz... thats enough to feed a whole wedding reception :eek: lol

Yes we should totally work together - like batman and robin - we'll call ourselves the 'Baking Buddies' :cool: This is going to sound lame, but while washing up I was thinking, like Odeon's motto is 'fanatical about film'.. a good motto would be 'bonkers about baking' :p: hehe

The sponge seems to be rising quite nicely when checked, i do hope i dont jinx myself - still half an hour left!! :o:

x x
    So it turned out ok?

Yeh I know 32oz is a lot :ninja:

But seriously... I just meant as an example of how a lot could be too much Made more sense when you said you were making a pudding :yes:

I totally love our catch phrase! Maybe we should drag eskimojo in too :bigsmile:

Either way I would love to see your Eve's pudding recipe :yes: and I'm sure you'll bake it again soon so just remember the photos next time :p:

Happy baking!! Oh, and thanks for the rep and the excellent message :bigsmile: x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    :cry: Why are you teasing me?! *sigh* The recipe would be a wonderful alternative then if I'm not getting a slice! :yy:
    Glad it all turned out ok and you enjoyed it!
    I bought the M&S fresh custard once and have never gone back to anything else since! Sooo thick and gorgeously sweet! :coma: Can't remember what the Ambrosia one from a tin is like, but the mini-lunchbox ones are normally thick and yummy in my experience. Next time just add a pinch or two of cornstarch when heating the custard if you have any.
    hehe :p:

Next time I may aswell get some M&S custurd, its better to have abit of quality :yes:

Its wierd, the best before date on the tin was fine on the devon custurd.. surely custurd isnt supposed to be that thin :mad: As for cornstarch, I've never ever used it - always wondered though in the shops what it's for :o: What else can you do with it - or is it mainly for thickening stuff?

So it turned out ok?

Yeh I know 32oz is a lot :ninja:

But seriously... I just meant as an example of how a lot could be too much Made more sense when you said you were making a pudding :yes:

I totally love our catch phrase! Maybe we should drag eskimojo in too :bigsmile:

Either way I would love to see your Eve's pudding recipe :yes: and I'm sure you'll bake it again soon so just remember the photos next time :p:

Happy baking!! Oh, and thanks for the rep and the excellent message :bigsmile: x x
    Yeah it turned out awesome! Just the custurd was abit crappy - but its okay.. 'CAUSE I DIDNT MAKE IT

I've finally got some time now to type up the recipe.. so here it is guys. Its easy peasy, and you wont be disappointed!

Eve's Pudding

Ingredients:
    6 tbsp butter + extra for greasing
    450g cooking apples (i just used normal apples :yes: ) peeled, cored n' sliced
    75g granulated sugar
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    50g sultanas (I left them out because I cant stand them)
    75g caster sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    150g self raising flour (alternatively plain flour with 1.5 tsp baking powder :p: )
    3tbsp milk
    25g flaked almonds *yummers*

Method:
    1. Grease a 900ml ovenproof dish with butter
    2. Mix apples with sugar, lemon juice and sultanas. Spoon mixture into greased dish
    3. In a bowl, cream butter and caster sugar together until pale. Add the egg, a little at a time.
    4. Carefully fold in SR flour and stir in milk to give a soft, dropping consistency.
    5. Spread the mixture over the apples and sprinkle with flaked almonds
    6. Bake in preheated oven 180 degrees/gas mark 4.. for 45 minutes until sponge is golden brown. (I found half an hour sufficed in my oven)
    7 Serve pudding piping hot accompanied with custurd. Tastes good cool too

Oh heres a pic i took from the recipe book so you know what it should look like

Oh and shorty.loves.angels, seeing as you like cooking savoury, heres a recipe i think you may like. I made it the other day as a change from normal plain old boring chappatis.. and i was pleasantly surprised. The bread turned out nice and fluffy, and remained soft even when cold! Totally yummy when served with lentils (as I did) but serve it with soup or whatever!

Its called ' Khasta Roti' :yes:

Ingredients:
    2 cups flour (i recommend chappati flour, or that wholewheat stuff)
    2 eggs beaten
    1tsp cumin seeds
    1tsp salt
    6tbsp ghee (may seem alot.. but trust me its meant to be)
    1tsp baking powder
    150ml milk
    1tsp grated ginger

Method:
    1.Sieve flour. Add baking powder, salt, ghee, cumin seeds and grated ginger
    2. Mix well
    3.Make into dough using eggs and milk
    4. Keep in fridge, covered with cling film for 30 mins
    5. Shape into 6 equal round balls.
    6. Roll each piece to about 5 inch diameter
    7. Cook on a skillet, or frying pan, use a (little butter - but not alot!!) one by one. They should be light brown on both sides
    8. Serve hot and crisp

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Sahds! I will be making both actually! :p: Yums!

I've only ever heard cornstarch/cornflour being mentioned for thickening, but I'm sure it must be used for other things too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    hehe :p:

Next time I may aswell get some M&S custurd, its better to have abit of quality :yes:

Its wierd, the best before date on the tin was fine on the devon custurd.. surely custurd isnt supposed to be that thin :mad: As for cornstarch, I've never ever used it - always wondered though in the shops what it's for :o: What else can you do with it - or is it mainly for thickening stuff?

Yeah it turned out awesome! Just the custurd was abit crappy - but its okay.. 'CAUSE I DIDNT MAKE IT

I've finally got some time now to type up the recipe.. so here it is guys. Its easy peasy, and you wont be disappointed!

Eve's Pudding

Ingredients:
    6 tbsp butter + extra for greasing
    450g cooking apples (i just used normal apples :yes: ) peeled, cored n' sliced
    75g granulated sugar
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    50g sultanas (I left them out because I cant stand them)
    75g caster sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    150g self raising flour (alternatively plain flour with 1.5 tsp baking powder :p: )
    3tbsp milk
    25g flaked almonds *yummers*

Method:
    1. Grease a 900ml ovenproof dish with butter
    2. Mix apples with sugar, lemon juice and sultanas. Spoon mixture into greased dish
    3. In a bowl, cream butter and caster sugar together until pale. Add the egg, a little at a time.
    4. Carefully fold in SR flour and stir in milk to give a soft, dropping consistency.
    5. Spread the mixture over the apples and sprinkle with flaked almonds
    6. Bake in preheated oven 180 degrees/gas mark 4.. for 45 minutes until sponge is golden brown. (I found half an hour sufficed in my oven)
    7 Serve pudding piping hot accompanied with custurd. Tastes good cool too

Oh heres a pic i took from the recipe book so you know what it should look like

Oh and shorty.loves.angels, seeing as you like cooking savoury, heres a recipe i think you may like. I made it the other day as a change from normal plain old boring chappatis.. and i was pleasantly surprised. The bread turned out nice and fluffy, and remained soft even when cold! Totally yummy when served with lentils (as I did) but serve it with soup or whatever!

Its called ' Khasta Roti' :yes:

Ingredients:
    2 cups flour (i recommend chappati flour, or that wholewheat stuff)
    2 eggs beaten
    1tsp cumin seeds
    1tsp salt
    6tbsp ghee (may seem alot.. but trust me its meant to be)
    1tsp baking powder
    150ml milk
    1tsp grated ginger

Method:
    1.Sieve flour. Add baking powder, salt, ghee, cumin seeds and grated ginger
    2. Mix well
    3.Make into dough using eggs and milk
    4. Keep in fridge, covered with cling film for 30 mins
    5. Shape into 6 equal round balls.
    6. Roll each piece to about 5 inch diameter
    7. Cook on a skillet, or frying pan, use a (little butter - but not alot!!) one by one. They should be light brown on both sides
    8. Serve hot and crisp
    I can't stand currants either!!!! Or sultanas/raisins... Bleugh!

Thanks for the other recipe too, I'm definitely interested in playing that game :yep: And I'll let you know how it turns out :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand currants either!!!! Or sultanas/raisins... Bleugh!

Thanks for the other recipe too, I'm definitely interested in playing that game :yep: And I'll let you know how it turns out :bigsmile:
    no problem! Yea. i find myself picking out raisins from my muesli - its a dauting task i tells ya!

wow - i LOVE that emote :bigsmile: I think i may just adopt it :yes: muahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    no problem! Yea. i find myself picking out raisins from my muesli - its a dauting task i tells ya!

wow - i LOVE that emote :bigsmile: I think i may just adopt it :yes: muahaha
    :eek3: My smilie :spank:

I just avoid all foods that contain any of them. To be fair though, those and milk are the only things I avoid :yes:

Oh I eat xmas pudding though... it's so squidgy from all the alcohol and cooking that I don't notice them :bigsmile:

So that bread recipe thing... is it mainly savoury or quite sweet? Can you make any adaptations to it? I like to swap and change things to see what I can create :yep:

x

ReputationRep:
    :eek3: My smilie :spank:

I just avoid all foods that contain any of them. To be fair though, those and milk are the only things I avoid :yes:

Oh I eat xmas pudding though... it's so squidgy from all the alcohol and cooking that I don't notice them :bigsmile:

So that bread recipe thing... is it mainly savoury or quite sweet? Can you make any adaptations to it? I like to swap and change things to see what I can create :yep:

x
    :p:

The bread recipe, yeah ofcourse you can make ada ptations to it, but it tastes good as is :yes: An adaptation I recommend is use butter, if you dont have ghee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    :p:

The bread recipe, yeah ofcourse you can make ada ptations to it, but it tastes good as is :yes: An adaptation I recommend is use butter, if you dont have ghee
    Oh ok cool

Does using ghee make any noticeable difference? Just text my Asian friend to see if she could tell me more about ghee but she said that she uses it for other stuff but it can often be replaced :p:

I was thinking of a garlic/herb variation - but only if I get it right first time how it is. Can't wait!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.