Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Substituting plain flour for self raising Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Oh ok cool

Does using ghee make any noticeable difference? Just text my Asian friend to see if she could tell me more about ghee but she said that she uses it for other stuff but it can often be replaced :p:

I was thinking of a garlic/herb variation - but only if I get it right first time how it is. Can't wait!!
    Yeah, ghee is just clarified butter, it gives a subtle taste, but you wont be missing out if you use butter. Ghee takes the biscuit if you want to make it at home, and at the stores its rather expensive

Oh yeah.. when i made the dough.. i was worried because i thought it was sticky so hence no good. However, after leaving it in the fridge, i added just a dash of flour. Floured my hands, and made sure the surface was well floured, and i managed to get them nice and round pretty easily!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    Yeah, ghee is just clarified butter, it gives a subtle taste, but you wont be missing out if you use butter. Ghee takes the biscuit if you want to make it at home, and at the stores its rather expensive

Oh yeah.. when i made the dough.. i was worried because i thought it was sticky so hence no good. However, after leaving it in the fridge, i added just a dash of flour. Floured my hands, and made sure the surface was well floured, and i managed to get them nice and round pretty easily!
    Oh that's good advice thanks!!

Well seeing as my friends makes similar things quite often, I'm gona share some ideas with her! Yay a new addition to my cooking collection! Actually, seeing as I love making curriesa (completely from scratch of course :yep: ) I bet this bread would go rather nice with it! Oh and I have some stock in the fridge so I can do it soon!

I might send you some photos to see if I can make you proud

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.