Turn on thread page Beta

Do universities really believe people's claims about extra-curriculars? watch

ReputationRep:
    ...who wonders how cynical university admissions people are about the extra curricular activities people claim to be involved in? If I was in the position of giving interviews I'd be tempted to try and catch people out by asking them questions about their hobbies :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    The first interview I ever went to (placement at Microsoft) the interviewer chatted to me at length about all my hobbys and not much else!

ReputationRep:
    I saved the world twice and did humanitarian work for children in Africa, East Asia and South America :proud:

Hmm, maybe not xD

ReputationRep:
    I think some people do want to find out about them at interview, often getting someone to speak about their hobbies is a good way to get to know them a little more and get them to relax - it might not just be to trick you out!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I didn't have an interview anywhere I went. If I did, I wouldn't have lied so much on my personal statement! But I do have a habit of lying a LOT in interviews!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many people would lie tbh. Who knows?

Good question.

Many people think the truth comes out in interview, but then again it's very easy to lie about your work experience in St John's Hospital or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    My interviewer thought I was lying about my extra curricular activities, I soundly put them in their place. No my hobbies do actually include maintaining a stupidly huge rock and fossil collection, when he doubted it I rattled on at length pretty much about every single one I have and where I found it. They got the point in the end.

After that he didn't ask about my work for English Nature, I wanted to chat about coppicing and wetland regeneration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    ...who wonders how cynical university admissions people are about the extra curricular activities people claim to be involved in? If I was in the position of giving interviews I'd be tempted to try and catch people out by asking them questions about their hobbies :teeth:
    lol i think that's why my tutor told us to 'not lie' but if we did, to 'lie well' lol. like not say 'i play the guitar' when you obviously can't. Just something like 'I like to bake' which they can't really question (unless they're secretly a chef or something)

ReputationRep:
    When I was interviewed I got asked about my work experience at the local hospital, so I wouldnt advise lying on your application if your course interviews.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would have thoroughly enjoyed it had I been interviewed and asked to speak about my hobbies... especially if the interviewer shared some of them.

One of them I included on my PS was wine tasting... would have been great fun had the interviewer also done that and then opened up a bottle.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what the worst personal statements are that admissions tutors have ever received...how obvious it is that some people are lying. Bet they have a chuckle sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    You mean people actually lie on personal statements to get into better universities? Those *******s, they should be exposed for what they are and blacklisted from other places. I can't stand cheaters.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I'm not saying that lots of people do - but I bet there are some who have been somewhat economical with the truth....

ReputationRep:
    I remember going on a trip with some others from our 6th form to Oxford Uni to be shown around, and were spoken to by one of the admission tutors (French department). I distinctly remember him saying that all he cared about was how good he thought a person was at French, and didn't give a toss about whether or not he played French horn for the national youth orchestra or played sports for the county or whatever!

ReputationRep:
    Im surprised me trying out for the GB American Football Squad wasn't questioned, when i turned up to interviews bespectacled and with a genuine enthusiasm for Classical Literature

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people lie that often, but the skills they gained from participating in such activities is often exaggerated. It's the same when people say they picked up XYZ skill from studying mathematics or whatever.

It's kind of stupid that people are told to list the skills they picked up from taking up such activities, but perhaps it's meant to be an indicator of whether you are aware of what you are picking up.

ReputationRep:
    I hope they don;t because otherwise, knowing me like I do, I would probably end up saying that Im a member of the Freemasons :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    When the people at my school were preparing for Oxbridge interviews, a few of them were saying how they would probably lie to impress admissions tutors, but then our teachers put them off by telling horror stories. eg a girl saying in her personal statement that she was really interested in bonsai trees (by which she meant that her parents owned a couple which she occasionally waters) & ended up being interviewed by a woman who herself had a passion for bonsai trees & asked her lots of extremely particular questions about bonsai trees. this interview apparently did not go well.

although that is an extreme example & particularly bad luck.

i applied for mathematics. i did two interviews for cambridge & 1 for bath. the cambridge interviews were just a case of solving maths problems in front of interviewers, no extra-curricular stuff mentioned. at Bath it was a very informal interview & the guy asked me to clarify 1 thing in my personal statement which was a NAGTY course he'd never heard of & then he chatted for a few minutes about what areas of maths he liked beofre nding the interview.

at any rate, very little of your personal statement should be about extra-curricular activities, around 70-80% of it at least should be about the subject you're applying for, & the main point is just to get information across about yourself in relation to the subject you've chosen ie why you like, you're favourite topics etc.

so, to summarise, i dont think its worth lying about what extra-curricular stuff you've done.

ReputationRep:
    A guy I know lied extensively about medical work experience. Tosspot.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.