Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi just wondering as I heard that all the raf trades for airmen/airwomen were closed is this true.

ReputationRep:
    No they are not closed. Recruitment will still go on. I can't comment on the situation in the raf as I'm joining the army, but a lot of applicants are being told that the army is fully manned and they are unlikely to get to basic training until march/april 2010. However a lot of applicants do drop out and spaces will appear. If it's what you want then you will stick with it, I am. Just use the time wisely to get even fitter for basic.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Only the AFCO would know because trades open and close on a weekly basis. It's highly unlikely that all trades are closed at the same time, but it could happen for a very short period I suppose. Hmmm well actually, unless there is an issue at Halton, I can't really see the whole training pipeline closing down at this time of year. Check it out with the AFCO on a regualr basis if the trade you want isn't open.

ReputationRep:
    I did try today but got told that both my career choice were closed and from the sounds of it alot of choice were closed

ReputationRep:
    Have been told the same thing. Does anyone know roughly how long branches tend to be closed for?

ReputationRep:
    It varies hugely.

My only really helpful input on this is that at my P2 Presentation a few weeks back, we were told that out of the 60 RAF careers, only 15 remained open at that time.

Follow TPD's advice, check regularly with your AFCO. That's your best bet.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    It depends on a number of variables including how easy it is to recruit people (how popular the trade is and its qualifications/aptitudes), how often the professional training courses occur, how large professional training courses have to be to run, how quickly people are leaving the trade etc. As a rough guide, rarely more than 6 months for the more popular/larger trades, occasionally up to a year for small trades (photographer springs to mind). Often the closure is only for a matter of weeks.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    There is nothing like an economic downturn to boost recruitment into the Armed Forces. You are seeing what happens when other jobs start to dry up and suddenly military life is thought about a little more. It also helps with retention and therefore everything slows a bit.

ReputationRep:
    So Prostacker would that maybe mean that once we are out of this recession there may be a lot of people leaving or trying to leave to go back into civvie street?

ReputationRep:
    I think most are closed in the RAF at this moment in time. There's 3/4 still open I think. Regiment being one.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by smoggy52)
    So Prostacker would that maybe mean that once we are out of this recession there may be a lot of people leaving or trying to leave to go back into civvie street?
    Eventually, the numbers will go back to what they were a year or two ago - but that will take a while. Recesions don't suddenly stop and thousands of jobs magically appear in military or civillian life.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by RODDUZ)
    I think most are closed in the RAF at this moment in time. There's 3/4 still open I think. Regiment being one.
    You might want to check your understanding of fractions there fella!

ReputationRep:
    Think he means 3-4 rather than .75 but might be wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mountainmetman)
    Think he means 3-4 rather than .75 but might be wrong...

I think PS is being a pedant rather than actually mistaking what Rodduz meant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I think PS is being a pedant rather than actually mistaking what Rodduz meant
    What is this, PPRuNe? :rolleyes: :p:

Actually, with the Air Training Corps outnumbering the RAF by 2000, it might only be 3/4 of the Air Force that's available. And most of them will be scribblies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mountainmetman)
    What is this, PPRuNe? :rolleyes: :p:

Well, that place has got mighty childish recently, I wouldn't be surprised...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Eventually, the numbers will go back to what they were a year or two ago - but that will take a while. Recesions don't suddenly stop and thousands of jobs magically appear in military or civillian life.
    Thanks for replying. I'm not expecting thousands of jobs to appear I was just wondering if the general consensus of people serving now is that a lot of people entering the military now had never even considered it prior to the recession

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    You might want to check your understanding of fractions there fella!
    Yeah it was 3 - 4 I meant not 3 quarters. lol

ReputationRep:
    Only the gunner position is open...so if u wana get shot up sign right up...or u could just join the army.

From what i understand trades will re-open next february

ReputationRep:
    February! ...is that all trades reopening in February? Where did you find this out?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.