Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice here.. My o2 phone bill is overdue by 3 days and I can't pay it in full til tomorrow, but today I've had the nasty automated phonecall and text saying my account is overdue and payment must be made immediately or else my phone will be barred. I know that o2 don't tend to mess around when barring your phone and can do it very promptly so I was just wondering if anyone has some advice, do I call them up and explain, wait til tomorrow and pay my bill in full or is it worth making a partial payment today and paying the rest tomorrow? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Phone them.
    If you'd phoned them on the day it was due, they would have been much nicer, and you would have avoided all of this stress as well as a potential bad mark on your credit file.

Phone them now, and explain. They would have been much nicer if you'd explained before it was overdue, but they'll be fine. Tell them when you can pay it, and they'll mark it down. Then you'll avoid your phone being cut off.

ReputationRep:
    I have phoned them every month to explain payment of my bill will be a few days late as my wages aren't paid on dates that are convenient for them, but thanks for you help anyway

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely ring. I explained my situation before and they gave me a very small extension which I critically needed.

Also, mabe try telling them that it is vitally important that you are not cut off?

ReputationRep:
    they will cut you off. u can still recieve phne calls and texts. its only for a day im sure ud be fine!

they cut my friend off all the time. for not paying bills.

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you tell them to change the billing/direct debit date...as you have to call them every month because your paid on a different date...if you tell them to take the payment out on a date which is convinient they can do this every month. Well 3 gave me this option when i got a contract...they asked me what date was most convinient for the direct debit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    Why dont you tell them to change the billing/direct debit date...as you have to call them every month because your paid on a different date...if you tell them to take the payment out on a date which is convinient they can do this every month. Well 3 gave me this option when i got a contract...they asked me what date was most convinient for the direct debit.
    I would except my wages aren't paid on the same date each month, I guess i'll just have to keep calling them every month and explaining until i start my new job. Thanks for all your help

ReputationRep:
    No wonder they're not very nice if you pay your bill late every month. Why don't you keep some money back from the previous months wages to pay your bill so it gets paid on time?

ReputationRep:
    Worst case is they freeze your account until the arrears are cleared, although it doesn't look good on your credit file. Once you have paid this months, phone them and ask if you can alter the direct debit date for next month. Do this at the START of the financial month, not at the end when you owe them money, and they'll probably be happy to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way to change the day which your bill comes out?

Happened to my boyfriend and they cut off his phone (can still receive incoming calls/texts though) but then when he paid the money owed they reconnected it within 24 hours.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lisaanne)
    No wonder they're not very nice if you pay your bill late every month. Why don't you keep some money back from the previous months wages to pay your bill so it gets paid on time?
    Spot on Lisaanne - rep for you.

Learning how to budget is part of the student experience. If you know you have a specific direct debit/other expense that means you'll need x amount of money on y date but you don't get paid until z date, you need to learn to keep that money aside. It'll stand you in good stead for the real world.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Orange with a contract, i hardly ever pay my bill on time and get cut off all the time. When i get my loans i pay it on time, every time, but towards next loan and i have no money at all i dont pay it until loans come through. Even if i ring them and explain this they dont care and wont keep it on, but it usually takes just over a month for them to cut me off, never any phone calls just 2 texts.

This is the third time i have renewed my contract with Orange and they are still happy to have me as a customer even with the bad payment timings

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.