Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm starting the IB next month and will be going to buy the textbooks/revision guides I need for each of my subjects. But I want to make an informed purchase and buy the best possible books I can, which will really help me get 6s and 7s, even if the teachers turn out to be crap. My subjects are
    HL:
    English A1
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL:
    Psychology
    Maths
    Italian ab initio

I found the website www.ibbookshop.co.uk which lists lots of the IB specific books available for each subject. I've heard the Oxford and Cambridge books are the best, but there still seems to be so much to choose from, and it's so confusing. What are study guides and course companions?

I'm really looking for very extensive, detailed books coverying EVERYTHING from the syllabus, which I can even use to self-teach. Which books have you found to be extremely helpful, and to those that have recieved their results, which books did you use to procure your results?

Anyy help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just get the books your school suggests...

most certainly for biology( I did bio SL) you will get at least 3( and will use internet A LOT), I doubt you would want any more at the end of the 12th grade...don't kill urself.
    The same is I presume with the other subjects.
    Don't think that you can sleep in class and study at home...I tried to do that at the begging ot the 11 th grade - I was sorry for a long time. Just sit in class, take notes and then read the topic at home (in some time of the year)
    Don't think that all IB teachers are crappy - u r not that smart /=

For maths - its the same, for some topics you may use no matter how retarded it sounds - youtube.
    No books can help you with that /=
    I hope you get good teachers.

ReputationRep:
    Will you be attending Slough Grammar by any chance? I just graduated from the IB there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam...)
    Will you be attending Slough Grammar by any chance? I just graduated from the IB there
    Haha YES I will be hopefully attending Slough Grammar!
    To prevent this thread going off-topic, I'll pm you

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ibdamned.com

There are some fantastic reviews on this website for Biology and Chemistry Textbooks. =) Check out the categories for lists of books available, most have reviews

ReputationRep:
    Course Companions are kind of like textbooks, whereas Study Guides are less in-depth. They only cover the basics, and I think they have more questions in them.

I have the Oxford Course Companion for both Chemistry and Physics and they're pretty good. Explain everything well, go over all the topics. They were recommended by my school, too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's worth getting textbooks for languages because every school studies a different set of books. Most books studied that are studied are usually popular so you'll find lots of analyses on websites like sparknotes and cliffnotes.

For psychology, I'd recommend the Oxford Course Companion because the other one says that it doesn't include Options 1 & 2.

For the sciences, check www.ibdamned.com, as someone else said, it has great reviews.

As for maths, I mainly used the Oxford one but also had a look at Haese & Harris. The Oxford one was better but the H&H one helped to compensate for the what the Oxford one missed out on. My friend had the Cambridge one and said it was pretty good.

Check with your teachers before going out and buying these. They may be familiar with the textbooks and can recommend the more thorough ones. Your school might also have them so you don't have to buy them at all!

ReputationRep:
    I've got similar subjects...

English A1:
    maybe the oxford course companion, but any good literary commentary/criticism textbook would be good

Biology:
    IBID Biology
    IB Study Guide Biology

Chemistry:
    IBID Chemistry
    IB Study Guide Chemistry

Math:
    Oxford Book
    Oxford Revision Guide
    (lots of past papers)

Psychology:
    Introduction to Psychology
    Approaches to Psychology
    (read studies)

Italian:
    whatever you're school picks? and anything really.

+ Syllabi & Past Papers

ReputationRep:
    Don't just buy the books!
    They'll be a complete waste if your school doesn't use them!!

For now, if you really really want to buy some books, I'd advise you to buy the Oxford study guides (Biology by Andrew Allott and Chemistry by Geoffry Neuss)

Those will be helpful in the last term of IB2 where you'll be studying your ass off for the final exams!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

I think I'll probably get the Oxford English A1 course companion and the Oxford study guides for Bio + Chem. They seem like a valuable investment, and they are my HL subjects so I want a good start with them.

Is it true that Cambridge books for Maths are the best?

ReputationRep:
    The Cambridge ones are very good. Only thing to remember is that they go way beyond the syllabus in some cases, covering stuff that most people won't need (or understand!) so perhaps not the best books for self-teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CullenLoverX)
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

I think I'll probably get the Oxford English A1 course companion and the Oxford study guides for Bio + Chem. They seem like a valuable investment, and they are my HL subjects so I want a good start with them.

Is it true that Cambridge books for Maths are the best?
    I'm just going to warn you about the science textbooks; you'll need to pay a lot of attention on your syllabus, while your studying.
    I would personally recommend the ibid books for the sciences

ReputationRep:
    For italian abinitio, try using amici, thats the one my colege use

ReputationRep:
    Hello Future IB Student,

I graduated from IB in 2006, doing 2 HL Languages. I would highly recommend the grammar book "Ecco!" for Italian. I just started learning Italian 6 months ago and it's a really good book.

In boca lupo!

ReputationRep:
    honestly don't get any other books beforehand except some study guides.. if your school doesn't use a book its completely useless to have it (unless you have that much extra time to read it as an extra book.....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepoffthelawn)
    honestly don't get any other books beforehand except some study guides.. if your school doesn't use a book its completely useless to have it (unless you have that much extra time to read it as an extra book.....)
    I'd actually say the opposite.
    I am glad that I've used at least two books for each subject, mainly because every book seems to be forgetting parts of the syllabus or are inadequate in some respect. Regarding time, I've managed to study for three sciences, have several extracurriculars and have a social life; it's not that time-consuming you'll just need to prioritize your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CullenLoverX)
    So I'm starting the IB next month and will be going to buy the textbooks/revision guides I need for each of my subjects. But I want to make an informed purchase and buy the best possible books I can, which will really help me get 6s and 7s, even if the teachers turn out to be crap. My subjects are
    HL:
    English A1
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL:
    Psychology
    Maths
    Italian ab initio

I found the website www.ibbookshop.co.uk which lists lots of the IB specific books available for each subject. I've heard the Oxford and Cambridge books are the best, but there still seems to be so much to choose from, and it's so confusing. What are study guides and course companions?

I'm really looking for very extensive, detailed books coverying EVERYTHING from the syllabus, which I can even use to self-teach. Which books have you found to be extremely helpful, and to those that have recieved their results, which books did you use to procure your results?

Anyy help is appreciated
    Hi CullenLoverX,

I was an IB student at Slough Grammar who graduated in 2007 so hopefully I can give some useful advice!

English A1 HL:
    You'll be needing to buy quite a few books here, depending on the texts you study. The school might have some second-hand books but it is recommended that you buy your own. You'll be free to annotate these books to your heart's content but you will not be allowed any books in the exam. Don't buy anything until you receive your reading list.

Biology & Chemistry HL:
    The syllabus has changed since I did Bio and Chem; I think they now use Oxford University Press books. Again these are available through the school to buy, and sell back at half the price (or you can elect to sell them yourself on eBay if you keep them in good condition!). You needn't buy before the course starts. I also highly recommend the revision guides -- Chemistry for the IB Diploma and Biology for the IB Diploma. These are essential come exam time. Back in my day we used IBID books, they were completely "to-the-point" syllabus wise as it literally listed every syllabus point, however I ended up hating those books!

Psychology SL:
    Unfortunately a comprehensive IB book doesn't exist for Psychology. It'll be recommended that you use OUP Approaches to Psychology, which you have to buy yourself (the school might have some second hand...) but you will also receive many handouts and photocopies during your time and you'll also borrow "Psychology for AS-Level" (Cardwell) at some point. The content which you'll need to learn will be spread over all these resources... make sure you have a big folder!

Maths SL:
    The school will use IBID press. Unlike the science books, the maths books are actually very good and contain many practice exercises. Again, no need to purchase before you start, and unless things have changed, the school will give you a full refund if the books are returned in good condition at the end of the course.

Italian Ab Initio:
    Not sure here, no-one did Italian in my cohort. The school will probably use some A-level resources.

I hope this helps, any questions just ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    I'd actually say the opposite.
    I am glad that I've used at least two books for each subject, mainly because every book seems to be forgetting parts of the syllabus or are inadequate in some respect. Regarding time, I've managed to study for three sciences, have several extracurriculars and have a social life; it's not that time-consuming you'll just need to prioritize your time
    haha, ok, i guess it depends on the subjects and your own personality/ambitiousness :p: I for one would never had any use for two maths books for example (i did standard, for HL it would probs be very useful to have many books) simply because my teacher followed this one book and you needed to do those particular exercises to be able to follow the lessons and understand his explanations.. I can't imagine i would ever have read multiple bio books :eek: the 600+ page one was enough, trust me

ReputationRep:
    In regards to the IB Bio & Chem books, I HIGHLY recommend the Study Guides myself. The Course Companions are really like textbooks in their own right, and although that is good, the Study Guides are ridiculously useful if you're having trouble figuring out exactly what IB wants you to know for a specific point. The best part is that they're very very concise - for Bio this is a godsend, especially at 1 AM before a unit test!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.