Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ive always wanted to do dentistry. but my highers were awful i got BBBCC due to my mum getting terminal cancer , also shortly after i found out i had dyslexia and didn't receive any help for this.
    I got 1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2 in my standard grades the year before
    this year i got A B B in advanced higher biology, chemistry and Modern studies but i might appeal my B in chemistry to an A.

ok so what should i do.
    go to uni this year and do 2 degrees?
    take a gap year and hope unis will let me in next year if i repeat my highers in college?

i dont mind going to england

any suggestions
    thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.sarwar7)
    pretty sure that dyslexia is a myth
    I'm sure that was wonderfully helpful:rolleyes:

OP was your other A in Biology or Modern Studies??
    (If it was Biology I would have thought that you would stand a better chance - especially down south...though someone correct me if I'm wrong)

You should probably email/phone up the unis you're thinking of applying to and see what they have to say about your situation

Best of luck =]

ReputationRep:
    I would email universities and explain your situation fully and ask if they would consider you. If not then I guess 2 degrees is the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amandakj)
    ive always wanted to do dentistry. but my highers were awful i got BBBCC due to my mum getting terminal cancer , also shortly after i found out i had dyslexia and didn't receive any help for this.
    I got 1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2 in my standard grades the year before
    this year i got A B B in advanced higher biology, chemistry and Modern studies but i might appeal my B in chemistry to an A.

ok so what should i do.
    go to uni this year and do 2 degrees?
    take a gap year and hope unis will let me in next year if i repeat my highers in college?

i dont mind going to england

any suggestions
    thanks for the help
    my dad taught in a rundown school whcih offered absolutely no help at all for people with dyslexia and it was awful for the pupils! like the school just didn't give a **** about them wheras if they got help they could of done so much better, so your results are amazing considering your circumstances!

i'm so sorry to hear about your mum but it is defo an exceptional cirsumstance, of course its going to affect your grades, it would have affected everything in your life and you done amazing in 6th year. like your A or B in advanced higher chmeistry and biology count as an A at higher which is the most important subjects, and you have 3 B's already so i think you should phone up dundee and glasgow and explain your situation because it is so different to everyone else who applied. glasgow ask for AAAAB and your advanced highers all count as A's so your missing one A on the offer but i still think they would accept considering what a hard time you had did you apply this year? i wouldnt bother with england cause the 2 here hopefully will offer you a place but im not sure if you'd need to get interviewed and that.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise very strongly against the 2 degree route, I can testify to that. With hingsight I would have re-sat my a-levels and what ever it took to gain entry. Unfortuantly my parents at the time wouldn't have been so supportive of that.

Doing 2 degree is a waste of time, you won't get the same funding if any for the second, entry criteria as a grad is different so you're competing for a lesser number of places etc.

In summary: Re-sit, take up some physical dexterity hobby, get loads of work experience, forget going out you can do all that when you make it to uni.

best wishes.

R

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.