Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now my skin is normally smooth and looks fine without makeup on, but as soon as I put foundation on it clumps together and is not so smooth anymore! Suggest a foundation for me? Atm I use this 16 hour liquid foundation, but I've tried most types! Advice appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Max Factor - Miracle Touch Liquid Illusion Foundation and moisturise first

ReputationRep:
    My skin is like yours, without make-up it looks fine but using foundation makes dry patches of skin more visible. Could this be the problem?

Try using moisturiser before you put it on? Maybe a mattifying one so your skin doesn't get too oily.

I use L'Oreal True Match, it's really good

ReputationRep:
    if your skin looks that nice (lucky girl) then maybe you don't need any on? Just a bit of concealer for blemishes and stuff.
    If you do want a foundation though I use Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid, it goes on really smooth you could possibly try using a foundation brush or sponge? That will help any foundation look more flawless x

ReputationRep:
    Theallnaturalface (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ion_id=5721363) has some great mineral foundations and finishing powders etc.
    Mineral foundation, in my experience, is pretty awesome because you can decide how much coverage you want and it lasts aaages. It also doesn't block pores or have nasty stuff in it like traditional foundations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaPeep)
    Max Factor - Miracle Touch Liquid Illusion Foundation and moisturise first
    This.
    I love this foundation

ReputationRep:
    All the ones that people have suggested so far are good, so I'd advise going to Boots and testing a few swatches of them all. I also really like No7's Intelligent Moisture, and Max Factor's Colour Adapt, but I have quite oily skin so maybe my needs are different to yours/maybe your skin will react differently to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    Now my skin is normally smooth and looks fine without makeup on, but as soon as I put foundation on it clumps together and is not so smooth anymore! Suggest a foundation for me? Atm I use this 16 hour liquid foundation, but I've tried most types! Advice appreciated
    erm do u moisturize first?
    if not do so.
    if u do already then use a tinted moisturizer.. the one by benefit is sick so is some avon one but i had tht yrs ago and have forgotten... x

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried a 'higher-end' foundation? The only 'lower-budget' foundation I can recommend is Max Factor's Colour Adapt, but I'm a true advocate of 'you get what you pay for' - for that reason, Prescriptives foundation is a must-try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martazz)
    if your skin looks that nice (lucky girl) then maybe you don't need any on? Just a bit of concealer for blemishes and stuff.
    If you do want a foundation though I use Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid, it goes on really smooth you could possibly try using a foundation brush or sponge? That will help any foundation look more flawless x
    Heh noo! I have very rosey cheeks :o: I'll give a sponge a go, problem with brushes and stuff is that it seems to take the makeup off as I'm putting it on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geek1337)
    My skin is like yours, without make-up it looks fine but using foundation makes dry patches of skin more visible. Could this be the problem?

Try using moisturiser before you put it on? Maybe a mattifying one so your skin doesn't get too oily.

I use L'Oreal True Match, it's really good
    Hmm it's not patches it's more the foundation just clumps together and looks kind of..lumpy. You can just see that it's on rather than looking nice and smooth like everyone else manages to get :mad:

ReputationRep:
    the revlon beyond natural one that starts of white and adjusts to you own colour is good

ReputationRep:
    DON'T use a sponge...avoid like the plague. They inevitably end up just crawling with bacteria and I really don't think you get a nicer finish. They are much harder to clean than brushes.

As others have said, moisturise first, and then leave it for about 10 minutes to sink in before applying foundation. Exfoliate as well to smoothen your skin out a bit, perhaps, if you think it needs it.

And I've just realised that nobody's really answered your question about what kind of foundation you should be using. Everyone (including me!) just seems to be recommending random ones that they like :tongue: So I'd say that if you have dry skin or blemishes you should never ever use mousse, as it will just highlight what you want to hide. There, that's one type of foundation ruled out!

(Original post by rachael-69)
    the revlon beyond natural one that starts of white and adjusts to you own colour is good
    Sorry to disagree, but no it isn't. The palest one is just muddy/way too dark and difficult to blend, and Avon's Personal Match one, which does exactly the same thing (only better!), is a much better colour and is much cheaper too.

ReputationRep:
    If your skin is fine without then don't use it. Maybe a tinted moistruriser to add a little colour if you need it?

If you already moisturise and just want to add some colour then you could try just wearing a flick of blusher/bronzer?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm it's not patches it's more the foundation just clumps together and looks kind of..lumpy. You can just see that it's on rather than looking nice and smooth like everyone else manages to get :mad:

No. 7 - Essential Moisture Foundation

I use it and it doesn't clump or patch at all! I think it's really good and it works well on me (I have similar skin to yours - I just use it around the eyes because there's no need anywhere else).

http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Essentia...on-40ml_21772/

ReputationRep:
    OMG I hate the exact same problem. The thing is that my skin is so pale without at least some foundation that I can't not go without makeup. I don't have really bad skin or anything, like no breakouts or anything but just it's way too pale. I have tried like all the foundations out there pretty much too
    So anyway, I used to wear mac studio fix which is very thick and although it's a great brand it just wasn't great on my skin. Too clumpy in places and almost flaky ugh.
    Just recently though I've been wearing bobbi brown moisture rich foundation and it comes on so smoothly. It is great. I wear it with a mac foundation brush rather then a sponge which helps to get a even coverage and it doesn't clog. Also, try mac's 'mineralize satinfinish foundation' - it's another one that doesn't clog on. Both povide a light coverage but you can always build it up for fuller coverage.
    Also, get a good skin care routine. I use clinique 3 step skin care products which are great. I would also recommend a primer - like mac's face primer with spf 50. It smooths the skin and makes foundation or powder look better.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll give some of these a go Now I'm betting they'll be the most expensive in the shop.. :mad: :p:

ReputationRep:
    MAC all the way...you cant fail. 18quid, but it lasts about a year at a time. not bad.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can see there are a few reasons why it might be clumping:

1) Skin texture. Foundation can cling to dry skin causing it to be patchy, so make sure you exfoliate regularly (e.g. with a face scrub) and moisturise well. If your skin is quite dry, try switching moisturisers. You might also benefit from using a primer - there are lots of cheaper ones available these days (e.g, L'oreal sell one through Boots now). Re-evaluate everything you are currently using on your skin (e.g. moisturisers, serums), and check that this is not interfering with your foundation.

2) Application technique. Foundation brushes are definitely the way to go in terms of getting a smooth application. Don't just paint in on haphazardly, ensure you're using consistent, even strokes. If you're not sure of technique there are tons of video tutorials on YouTube.

3) Product formulation - however you have discounted this option since you say that this issue has occurred with several products.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.