Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Although there are articles that detail clearing experiences these all seem to be for students who have got fairly good grades (ABB-BBB)

how did those straight C's or D's get along in clearing?

edit: lol at the typo of experience

ReputationRep:
    Well... I'll tell you mine... it's a horriblee, tearful experience so far!!!

I done A-level 4 years ago and got CCD, and luckily got into Medicine through an access course designed for public schools who don't get the traditional grades, live in rough areas etc. Sadly, this year recently I was unable to pass my finals so was withdrawn from the course. My uni offered me a reference, but didn't offer me any other course at that uni, and I felt like I was literally thrown out. The careers at my uni was even worse.

So come June, I applied as a late applicant for Pharmacy to the lower unis, but all declined my application, mostly due to the low grades, and 2 said simply because I had been unsuccessful at another degree, and even if I resat they would never consider me...pretty harsh stuff when you're already feeling crap. One admission tutor was pretty much shouting, when all I asked him was for feedback.

The scottish clearing started yesterday, and applied to RGU, but got a straight no from there, and was told the higher candidates would be taken first ie. ABB-BBB.

So now after 6 years, I am on square one... with clearing being rough, and not very hopeful for the lower score group.... most likely going to have to take ten steps back and redo A-levels, and god knows how much they've changed since :-s ...I can't even bear to imagine what 20th August is going to be like... all I know is there will be a lot of tears on that day.

Clearing is probably great if you got good grades ABB-BBB... but will be hard if you're lower.... you feel lost, and really don't know how to convince, as the grades are going against you...but it also depends on what course you are applying for. Obviously the more demanding courses, are likely to be tough in terms of admissions I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you my story

Last summer I got :

Maths = D Biology= D and a History AS = D
    I know people would cry over these grades but I am very proud of them! I'm not the brightest person really - for the gcse mocks I got an E in maths!
    So to take it and pass it at A level was quite a big achievement for me.

I always wanted to do Dietetics and Nutrition but because I hadn't took Chemistry at A level there was no chance of me getting in so I just applied for Nutrition.

I got declined by my first choice which was Manchester Met (didn't even want to go there anyway)
    And accepted by my insurance -Leeds Met - I loved leeds and everything!
    I just didn't like my course at all.
    And I've always kind of wanted to be a nurse but never looked into it. So I decided theres no point sticking to a course your not happy with and have a job at the end of it that you don't like.
    I dropped out In January, got a job and reapplied for September 09.

I got into Chester but for march 2010! They have said I can start at the warrington campus in sept but I'm not too sure about warrington.

So today I rang 14 different unis to see if they would take me for september but most of them said to ring back on 20th Aug and I think I have a good chance of getting a place if I ring early and I'll always have warrington as a kind of back up !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pingu09)
    Well... I'll tell you mine... it's a horriblee, tearful experience so far!!!

I done A-level 4 years ago and got CCD, .
    Why not resit? Also, do you really expect to get into medicine/pharmacy with CCD after failing once?

To the op : This year is going to be harder than ever, with all clearing students likely to be pushed down the pile due to higher demands for the places; this is especially true for those with low grades

Just pray you haven't let yourself down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Why not resit? Also, do you really expect to get into medicine/pharmacy with CCD after failing once?

To the op : This year is going to be harder than ever, with all clearing students likely to be pushed down the pile due to higher demands for the places; this is especially true for those with low grades

Oh gosh Youve made me even more nervous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    I'll tell you my story

Last summer I got :

Maths = D Biology= D and a History AS = D
    I know people would cry over these grades but I am very proud of them! I'm not the brightest person really - for the gcse mocks I got an E in maths!
    So to take it and pass it at A level was quite a big achievement for me.

I always wanted to do Dietetics and Nutrition but because I hadn't took Chemistry at A level there was no chance of me getting in so I just applied for Nutrition.

I got declined by my first choice which was Manchester Met (didn't even want to go there anyway)
    And accepted by my insurance -Leeds Met - I loved leeds and everything!
    I just didn't like my course at all.
    And I've always kind of wanted to be a nurse but never looked into it. So I decided theres no point sticking to a course your not happy with and have a job at the end of it that you don't like.
    I dropped out In January, got a job and reapplied for September 09.

I got into Chester but for march 2010! They have said I can start at the warrington campus in sept but I'm not too sure about warrington.

So today I rang 14 different unis to see if they would take me for september but most of them said to ring back on 20th Aug and I think I have a good chance of getting a place if I ring early and I'll always have warrington as a kind of back up !
    don't be upset they look like happy faces! =D

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to be a bit wary, OP. A lot of people I knew last year used 'Clearing' out of desperation and took anything that was offered, looking lower and lower in terms of entry requirements just to have a place at Uni.

Unless you really feel that you gave it all you've got and you couldn't have done any better come results day - I would encourage you to sit out an extra year and resit; it would probably benefit you more in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    My friend at school (4 years ago now ) needed ABB to do philosophy at Southampton Uni. He got ACD and they still let him in.

ReputationRep:
    I got into Medicine with those grades, and sadly didn't pass second year, so I thought perhaps pharmacy would be possible.

I was hoping that one yr of med would count as something... but it doesn't. Reason why I was not so quick to jump into resits was because a) finance b) another yr c) i done them 4 years ago, and how much has changed etc i dont know....

But I will be resitting now in Sept and apply again next yr hopefully now to have a realistic chance.

Point I was making is it's tough with low grades for competitive courses.

(Original post by Smtn)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pingu09)
    I got into Medicine with those grades, and sadly didn't pass second year, so I thought perhaps pharmacy would be possible.

I was hoping that one yr of med would count as something... but it doesn't. Reason why I was not so quick to jump into resits was because a) finance b) another yr c) i done them 4 years ago, and how much has changed etc i dont know....

But I will be resitting now in Sept and apply again next yr hopefully now to have a realistic chance.

Point I was making is it's tough with low grades for competitive courses.
    so are you planning to redo your alevels and reapply to medicine? honestly, if i was you i would take it as something that is not meant to be. i honestly can't see any medical school looking at your application with CCD at A Level and 4 years at med school already and im assuming you resat one of your years at uni if you failed to start 3rd year. how can they expect you to pass 5th year finals given your academic history? looking at it rationally it's hardly harsh is it? they're looking for people who can pass the course and if you've had to resit years at uni how are you going to cope with 5th year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)

aha not an option, i dont get free education after this year as im 21 an will have passed my A levels lol.

my offer is AAB but my reckonin' i will most likely get ABC or worst case BBC, i think my offer was so high cus my FC is an undergrad Msc. i didnt think material science is that popular.... is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    Unless you really feel that you gave it all you've got and you couldn't have done any better come results day - I would encourage you to sit out an extra year and resit; it would probably benefit you more in the long term.
    Surely this year that will be a lot more difficult this year because of the new a-level courses? For most people it won't be possible to resit any AS modules full stop, and A2 retakes will be allowed only in January. This is what happens when your the last year to study a course. This combined with the lack of uni clearing places means if you don't hit your grades your in big trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J400uk)
    Surely this year that will be a lot more difficult this year because of the new a-level courses? For most people it won't be possible to resit any AS modules full stop, and A2 retakes will be allowed only in January. This is what happens when your the last year to study a course. This combined with the lack of uni clearing places means if you don't hit your grades your in big trouble.

True, but if the OP is borderline and only misses their offer by a few marks on certain modules, most of the Curriculum 2000 ones should be available in January. Getting high marks in only 2 or 3 resits could bump up the OP's overall grades dramatically; CCD to BBC, for example, and so I think it would still be worth it. Certainly if I miss my offer, I'll be re-entering myself for the January modules - my last shot.

Edit: I should add that if I do resit any modules, my college would let me enter for the exam as an external student and I wouldn't necessarily need to attend the college itself. I am not sure how this works with other colleges or whether you would be expected to stay on full-time for a third year, which wouldn't be feasible if the Curriculum ends in Jan.

ReputationRep:
    No... I will resit a- levels in september and hopefully get good enough grades to go to pharmacy instead.

I've contacted all the pharmacy unis over uk and double checked whether they'd take retakes too, and quite a few have said yes, so im positive nw this step will be the best.

Anyone retaking, double check with the unis you intend to apply to, whether they'd accept you or not etc.

(Original post by kc91)
    so are you planning to redo your alevels and reapply to medicine? honestly, if i was you i would take it as something that is not meant to be. i honestly can't see any medical school looking at your application with CCD at A Level and 4 years at med school already and im assuming you resat one of your years at uni if you failed to start 3rd year. how can they expect you to pass 5th year finals given your academic history? looking at it rationally it's hardly harsh is it? they're looking for people who can pass the course and if you've had to resit years at uni how are you going to cope with 5th year?

ReputationRep:
    I wish you the best but I think you need to take a long hard look in the mirror

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.