Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i really want to do dentistry and have loads of experience and non academic achievements but

last year i did awful and got BBBCC in my highers (Scottish) due to the fact my mum was told she had terminal cancer. i also found out i was dyslexic shortly after my exams and i didn't get any help so that effect my grades too.

ok so this year i got A B B in advanced higher biology chemistry and RMPS, but i am trying to appeal the chemistry to an A.

oh in 2007 i got 1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2 in my standard grades.

so what should i do, go this year to do a biology degree then do dentistry after or should i repeat my highers at college and hope unis will let me in 2010. i don't care where i do dentistry i just really want to do it!!

please help

thank you

ReputationRep:
    :party:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amandakj)
    i really want to do dentistry and have loads of experience and non academic achievements but

last year i did awful and got BBBCC in my highers (Scottish) due to the fact my mum was told she had terminal cancer. i also found out i was dyslexic shortly after my exams and i didn't get any help so that effect my grades too.

ok so this year i got A B B in advanced higher biology chemistry and RMPS, but i am trying to appeal the chemistry to an A.

oh in 2007 i got 1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2 in my standard grades.

so what should i do, go this year to do a biology degree then do dentistry after or should i repeat my highers at college and hope unis will let me in 2010. i don't care where i do dentistry i just really want to do it!!

please help

thank you
    Contact the Dental Schools - discuss it with them - if they say re-do then that is your best option - when you get a positive response, make sure you e-mail thm so it is in writing.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.sarwar7)
    don't claim to be and the advice is for amanda, not you
    So have you applied to Dental School yet?
    Have you been accepted on the 4-year GPEP at King's?
    Have you taken the UKCAT?
    The advice you are giving is speculative - Amanda should contact the Dental Schools' Admissions Teams - they can give her the best advice - they know how it would affect her application!!!!

ReputationRep:
    O.O You don't repeat your highers. This isn't england... Bad idea.

You've got 3 choices: take a gap year (assuming you do get AAB) and re-apply next time round. Or you could go into second year of biomed (or similar), do the 3 year degree, reapply as a graduate.

Last choice is obviously go into another field; ABB at AH can get you far. Consider a different career maybe?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Can we keep this on topic and helpful to the OP? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisdom-tooth)
    THe OP stated he got ABB so a gap year and reapplying is out of the question.
    Appeals do happen; yeah it's not something to rely on, but still possible. :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.