Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Im starting a project about whether Cannabis should be legalised, so that it can be use to treat MS sufferers. I would really appreciate your opinions, fors and against, personal experiences ect.

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it should be legal for everyone not just MS patients, mainly cause it's not my business what you choose to smoke.

I don't smoke cannabis, personally I think it's for 14 year old stoner potheads, but hey ho if that's what makes you tick, then why not? Especially if it helps alleviate pain

That said I would advocate restricting it to 18+ and taxing it heavily Except if you're taking it for medicinal purposes obviously.

ReputationRep:
    cant it be used to treat MS sufferers under controlled conditions, and still keeping it illegal for these ****** on the streets?

ReputationRep:
    It was banned so some guy could make profit from his paper mill.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get the idea from Family Guy? :P

IMO, I don't think it should because I can't see any point to it at all. I.E. If someone has to smoke it to have a good time then they must be Victor Meldrew to begin with. Either that or seriously mislead.

Also it's expensive, can do long term damage.

ReputationRep:
    I could rant on about marijuana-related-conspiracies, but TSR frowns upon that lol.

It has a wide range of use, legalising it would also mean that 'suppliers' weren't putting sand/glass/dry paint/random dirt into the marijuana packets to make them weigh more...that is a pretty harmful additive, especially if your a regular cannabis user.

People die from alcohol, and get paralytic, get dependent on it and can have a variety of alcohol related diseases - no-ones died from cannabis, it does no harm.

All it seems to do is make people hungry, more funny and seemingly able to handle a more 'deep' conversation. Nothing wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    Did you get the idea from Family Guy? :P

IMO, I don't think it should because I can't see any point to it at all. I.E. If someone has to smoke it to have a good time then they must be Victor Meldrew to begin with. Either that or seriously mislead.

Also it's expensive, can do long term damage.
    Do you drink? You do realise most students do that with alcohol instead right? Which probably actually does more harm for you than weed ever could.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, whether legal or not legal, its not gunna make a difference for people who smoke it. i rekon keep it illegal as it stays cheaper

ReputationRep:
    I think that if it is going to be legalised, it should be used only for whatever purposes. But anyone who smokes it is heading for doom. I am very against the fact that there is even a hierarchy of drugs. Why would you want something that gives you short term benefit and in the long term it will kill you/ damage your life/ waste your money etc?

ReputationRep:
    i think its ridiculous that the government can control what we do with our own bodies anyway. if people wanna smoke weed or whatever that's their business, its not for anyone else to decide that its "bad for them", like we're all children. Well unfortunately it currently IS for someone else to decide, but it shouldn't be. meh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah most drugs should be legalised imo. That way people can be aware of exactly what's in them and they can be taxed, which will take away the risk factor for most people.
    Will never happen though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    I think that if it is going to be legalised, it should be used only for whatever purposes. But anyone who smokes it is heading for doom. I am very against the fact that there is even a hierarchy of drugs. Why would you want something that gives you short term benefit and in the long term it will kill you/ damage your life/ waste your money etc?
    How exactly does weed kill people? lol, people waste more money, and are more damaged by alcohol which is totally abused especially by students.

Most these arguments against marijuana fail as they apply more to alcohol anyway lol.

If there was pure marijuana on the street (aka "the homegrown), there would also more than likely be less mental health conditions connected. Smoking sand and grit in street weed is doing no good to the average regular weed smoker.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I've also never done weed...before someone says I'm arguing solely for being a druggy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    Do you drink? You do realise most students do that with alcohol instead right? Which probably actually does more harm for you than weed ever could.
    Depends on how much you drink. If some people are stupid enough to make themselves ill and call it a "good time" then that's their problem.

I do drink, yes, however I'm past the stage of getting royally mashed at every chance. I drink to give me a boost of confidence mainly because I am a naturally shy person, and there's no shame in that.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly does weed kill people? lol, people waste more money, and are more damaged by alcohol which is totally abused especially by students.

Most these arguments against marijuana fail as they apply more to alcohol anyway lol.

If there was pure marijuana on the street (aka "the homegrown), there would also more than likely be less mental health conditions connected. Smoking sand and grit in street weed is doing no good to the average regular weed smoker.
    "Damage your life" =! kill people.

On a side note, if anyone has an argument for cannabis that isn't "but, but, but... alcohol is WORSE!", I'd love to hear it.

To answer the OP, if it was used medicinally, this would need strict regulation. You may want to look up this guy who believes LSD can be used in psychiatry, and a lot of the points he makes could be used in your argument for cannabis to be used in hospitals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    Depends on how much you drink. If some people are stupid enough to make themselves ill and call it a "good time" then that's their problem.

I do drink, yes, however I'm past the stage of getting royally mashed at every chance. I drink to give me a boost of confidence mainly because I am a naturally shy person, and there's no shame in that.
    None at all, but your original argument did include "If someone has to smoke it to have a good time then they must be Victor Meldrew to begin with."

Most people I know use it to mellow out really, for stress, for thinking, to have a 'laugh' or just to have a 'deep' conversation. Never met anyone that abuses it.

ReputationRep:
    This should help you, OP: http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/discussion/s...alised/283905/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by assmaster)
    "Damage your life" =! kill people.

On a side note, if anyone has an argument for cannabis that isn't "but, but, but... alcohol is WORSE!", I'd love to hear it.

To answer the OP, if it was used medicinally, this would need strict regulation. You may want to look up this guy who believes LSD can be used in psychiatry, and a lot of the points he makes could be used in your argument for cannabis to be used in hospitals.
    The truth is, alcohol is worse, but no-one's willing to accept it. If natural, home-grown weed was what the streets were being served with there would be a dramatic drop in mental health cases, and such 'damaging' people's lives.

A friend of mine went into a deep period of paranoia and had to go to a mental health institute, his family had some mental health issues but his abuse (by abuse, I mean actually SILLY amounts) seemed to unlock the paranoia and his mental health was affected.

I'd like to see a study comparing homegrown and 'street' weed with all its nasty additives and the correlation to mental health issues.

(Original post by Democracy)
    I don't smoke cannabis, personally I think it's for 14 year old stoner potheads
    I find that quite offensive and judgemental, when I smoke marijuana I find I think about things in a different light, and I am also inclined to adopt new interests.

For example, it got my into classical music; a favourite hobby of mine when high is to go onto wiki and click on any link I find interesting, and I never even finish a page without getting distracted and interested by something else - and after hours of this I have more knowledge and interest in other cultures and perspectives than I did before. Or, if I'm with other people - then we sit around and discuss interesting things.

Of course sometimes it just makes video games, films etc more fun - but it also makes people question things and think about things (in the 1960's questioning warfare for example) and I actually believe that's one of the reasons why cannabis is illegal.

p.s. It also makes pink floyd more beautiful than ever, take it from someone who has listened to it from both perspectives.

ReputationRep:
    None at all, but your original argument did include "If someone has to smoke it to have a good time then they must be Victor Meldrew to begin with."

Most people I know use it to mellow out really, for stress, for thinking, to have a 'laugh' or just to have a 'deep' conversation. Never met anyone that abuses it.
    We've had different experiences then lol. A couple of my mates do it and they basically just doze off all the time... I don't see the fun in that.

Yeah that was just a strong way of expressing how much I hate it :P.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.