Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    The truth is, alcohol is worse, but no-one's willing to accept it. If natural, home-grown weed was what the streets were being served with there would be a dramatic drop in mental health cases, and such 'damaging' people's lives.
    It may be worse, that doesn't make it a good argument. If I robbed an old lady, but said "um, killing her would've been worse" - still doesn't make it right.
    Like you, I know a couple of people who are very paranoid/messed in the head generally from their use of cannabis. I kinda think there's a reason it's not yet been legalised, anecdotal issues aside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I find that quite offensive and judgemental, when I smoke marijuana I find I think about things in a different light, and I am also inclined to adopt new interests.

For example, it got my into classical music; a favourite hobby of mine when high is to go onto wiki and click on any link I find interesting, and I never even finish a page without getting distracted and interested by something else - and after hours of this I have more knowledge and interest in other cultures and perspectives than I did before. Or, if I'm with other people - then we sit around and discuss interesting things.

Of course sometimes it just makes video games, films etc more fun - but it also makes people question things and think about things (in the 1960's questioning warfare for example) and I actually believe that's one of the reasons why cannabis is illegal.

p.s. It also makes pink floyd more beautiful than ever, take it from someone who has listened to it from both perspectives.
    Don't be offended :hugs:

It is only from my personal experience, most cannabis smokers I know aren't very nice. I wouldn't say that about every single person who does it though. I just hate the image surrounding it.

For example I wouldn't say this about ecstasy, it just seems far more of a mature, adult drug to take than cannabis. But as I said, it's not my place to stop people doing what they like with themselves

Here is a long thread I made on the subject incidently, that goes beyond "ALCOHOL IS WORSE THOUGH":

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post18385755

If you click on the profile of tis_me_lord (me) and into threads made by me, you'll find the most recent one is about legalising heroin, which is a less one sided debate in my opinion because I can't for the life of me understand how cannabis is even up for debate, it's so obvious that it should be legal.

(Original post by Democracy)
    For example I wouldn't say this about ecstasy, it just seems far more of a mature, adult drug to take than cannabis. But as I said, it's not my place to stop people doing what they like with themselves
    I feel less useful to society on MDMA than from cannabis to be honest; although I am certainly more loved up and willing to hug and chat to anybody who comes my way! MDMA makes you think so clearly though, they should still use it for counselling in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by assmaster)
    It may be worse, that doesn't make it a good argument. If I robbed an old lady, but said "um, killing her would've been worse" - still doesn't make it right.
    Like you, I know a couple of people who are very paranoid/messed in the head generally from their use of cannabis. I kinda think there's a reason it's not yet been legalised, anecdotal issues aside.
    Not at all, but its almost a joke how people who spend most of their University Life drunk argue that people shouldn't smoke weed. lol, that's entirely the opposite of my argument but the same.

Besides mental health issues I don't see any negatives from weed, surely a bunch of people high and discussing the meaning of life, philosophy is better than a group of drunk youths

Street weed is full of crap, the day a 'official' experiment of 'pure' vs 'street' weed was done I'm sure people will be looking at this differently. Smoking 5 blunts a day that are packed full of sand/grit/etc is obviously going to do you harm lol.

Meh, doesn't really affect me either way - I'd rather weed be legal than alcohol though.

I'd rather weed be legal than alcohol.
    Isn't it legal in India for religious (Hindu) purposes?

ReputationRep:
    I could rant on about marijuana-related-conspiracies, but TSR frowns upon that lol.

It has a wide range of use, legalising it would also mean that 'suppliers' weren't putting sand/glass/dry paint/random dirt into the marijuana packets to make them weigh more...that is a pretty harmful additive, especially if your a regular cannabis user.

People die from alcohol, and get paralytic, get dependent on it and can have a variety of alcohol related diseases - no-ones died from cannabis, it does no harm.

All it seems to do is make people hungry, more funny and seemingly able to handle a more 'deep' conversation. Nothing wrong with that.
    This. And for the treatment of MS symptoms. My mum suffers from MS. Not seriously enough to need any kind of treatment at the moment.. but i know that when things get worse shes rather take something natural than whatever chemicals theyd want to put her on.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine's mother suffers from MS, her husband grows cannabis for her in order to ease her pain - it is a great help. She is a lovely person, and they are a lovely family.

Of course Cannabis should be legal, if find it highly offensive that anybody should be able to control what I choose to do to my consciousness.

Basically, the governments of the world have pulled the wool over our eyes, and we've let them. It's a great shame.

(Original post by SoundDevastation)
    This. And for the treatment of MS symptoms. My mum suffers from MS. Not seriously enough to need any kind of treatment at the moment.. but i know that when things get worse shes rather take something natural than whatever chemicals theyd want to put her on.
    Can't patent a plant, can't make money off it - so they'd rather use chemicals which are more harmful and less effective, just to get money.

It's even got to the stage where pharmaceutical companies are making chemical drugs that contain THC in it, so they can basically take cannabis and give it to people - but call it something else, so they can patent it and make money from it. On the list of side-effects it's all the old favourites "euphoria, dizzyness, confusion" etc ... it's Goddamn ridicilous, legalise the green!

ReputationRep:
    Don't legalise, just decriminalise.

ReputationRep:
    er, they dont need to smoke it, they need the actual chemical compounds contained within cannabis

it is being grown in some locations as part of clinical trials, so that these compounds can be synthesised & then used for treatments

ReputationRep:
    If you really want help, watch National Geographic's - Marijuana Nation (or something like that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by assmaster)
    That isn't quite analogous.
    It's more like Murder being legal, and GBH heavily punishable.

(Original post by JoeTSR)
    Don't legalise, just decriminalise.
    Doesn't solve the issues of organised crime, and doesn't resolve the issues of the cannabis potentially being tampered with. It's a step in the right direction, but full legalisation is ideal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Doesn't solve the issues of organised crime, and doesn't resolve the issues of the cannabis potentially being tampered with. It's a step in the right direction, but full legalisation is ideal.
    I'm sorry, but organised crime really doesn't have a part in cannabis. Most cannabis in the UK is grown in the UK. You're getting confused with substances such as cocaine and heroine.

Also, cannabis is rarely actually tampered with. There are often loads of reasons for people thinking it is, but it is extremely rare that it actually is. Except for hash, and some grit weed, which is weed with glass in, to up the weight, but that's fairly uncommon, and pretty easy to spot generally.

I'm sorry, but organised crime really doesn't have a part in cannabis. Most cannabis in the UK is grown in the UK. You're getting confused with substances such as cocaine and heroine.

Also, cannabis is rarely actually tampered with. There are often loads of reasons for people thinking it is, but it is extremely rare that it actually is. Except for hash, and some grit weed, which is weed with glass in, to up the weight, but that's fairly uncommon, and pretty easy to spot generally.
    Ok, I'll accept that there is less organised crime than with harder substances, but there ARE imports of cannabis into the UK, it's not entirely home grown. Whatsmore, why are random dealers getting all the money?

And never being tempered with is better than rarely being tempered with. I just don't understand why you'd be reluctant to legalise it, unless you sell it yourself? (Not that you'd admit that on TSR.) But seriously; whats the real argument for it?

The only function of decriminalisation for me is being a less scary term than legalisation, so it's more likely to happen - and when it does then happen, and society doesn't in fact crumble, people will be open to then legalising it.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed ganja should be legalized.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    IMO cannabis shouldn't ever be legalised. recreational drugs ruin lives.

/rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Yeah it should be legal for everyone not just MS patients, mainly cause it's not my business what you choose to smoke.

I don't smoke cannabis, personally I think it's for 14 year old stoner potheads, but hey ho if that's what makes you tick, then why not? Especially if it helps alleviate pain

That said I would advocate restricting it to 18+ and taxing it heavily Except if you're taking it for medicinal purposes obviously.
    This ^^^ it makes perfect, logical sense to legalize cannabis. It just requires a huge political will and will be deeply unpopular with a large proportion of the electorate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    I think that if it is going to be legalised, it should be used only for whatever purposes. But anyone who smokes it is heading for doom. I am very against the fact that there is even a hierarchy of drugs. Why would you want something that gives you short term benefit and in the long term it will kill you/ damage your life/ waste your money etc?
    Please explain what you mean by 'whatever' purposes, it is all very well saying it should be restricted to a certain context or use, but at least give an example.

I did lol at this comment, there are thousands upon thousands of people who smoke cannabis and do not 'head onto doom', what you just said there was ill educated and unfounded.

Granted it gives you a short term benefit, but life is about enjoying what you're doing and suggesting that something isn't worth doing as it only produces a short term alleviation is ridiculous. In the long term it will not kill you. Wasting of money is purely subjective, i pay with my own money for a product to which i enjoy and am willing to pay X. Just because YOU wouldn't pay for it does not make it a waste.

(Original post by Samalama)
    I do drink, yes, however I'm past the stage of getting royally mashed at every chance. I drink to give me a boost of confidence mainly because I am a naturally shy person, and there's no shame in that.
    What an extremely hypocritical thing to say given your previous post. The vast majority smoke cannabis because they enjoy (a) the affect it has on them, or (b) the fact it demises certain pain. So if i contextualized your reasoning of drinking onto this it would result in 'I am smoking cannabis because i am an extremely energetic and hyper person and thus want something to calm me down' which is pretty much the main reason most people smoke.

Grit weed was extremely common 2 or so years ago..

(Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    IMO cannabis shouldn't ever be legalised. recreational drugs ruin lives.

/rant
    Weak people with weak minds ruin their own life. Blaming it on a drug is like blaming the government for having a **** job, your own actions and determination as a human counter weigh what any influence or addiction a commodity can place upon you, and for the record alcohol is a recreational drug, do you want that made illegal? Does Alcohol ruin every life?

ReputationRep:
    It's absurd that alcohol is legal with all the damage and addiction it does whilst weed remains illegal even for medical usage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.