Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Making Cannabis Legal? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    This ^^^ it makes perfect, logical sense to legalize cannabis. It just requires a huge political will and will be deeply unpopular with a large proportion of the electorate.
    Agreed which is why it would need to be phased in and is thus why i am against outright legalization straight away.

- Medicinal purposes - available at GP
    - Decriminalize Cultivation in houses
    - Grant shops ability to sell it to people with med card
    - Allow shops to grow their own with a license
    - Educate the public to the fact that cannabis doesn't need to be smoked, you can extract the THC into oil/butter and make 'cannabutter' which is more or less THC+Butter and so can be used it most household cooking.
    - decriminalize smoking cannabis
    - Allow shops to sell to all people over the age of 21

- Illegal to sell cannabis on the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I don't smoke cannabis, personally I think it's for 14 year old stoner potheads, but hey ho if that's what makes you tick, then why not? Especially if it helps alleviate pain
    Just letting you know I dont personally smoke cannabis

[QUOTE=Samalama]Did you get the idea from Family Guy? :P
    QUOTE]

Nope never watched cannabis, i wanted to do my project on something medicine related, and seeing as my mum has Multiple Sclerosis, I thought i would do it on that

My project is based on the medicinal uses of cannabis, and how legalising cannabis would affect both ms sufferers, and ppl like addicts, or young people who are easily influenced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooCharles)
    My project is based on the medicinal uses of cannabis, and how legalising cannabis would affect both ms sufferers, and ppl like addicts, or young people who are easily influenced.
    Legalisation would help young people as they wouldn't have to turn to, and become, criminals in order to buy it. It would be safer as it'd have to comply with quality checking. Young people wouldn't be "encouraged" to try harder stuff by dealers, drugs which do cause a lot of possible problems. Legalisation would slash the number of dealers overnight, who buys homegrown tobacco or alcohol in Britain despite the massive taxes we have on these? And addicts? Cannabis isn't addictive really, unlike alcohol, it's psychologically addictive but not anything near the levels of physical addiction of alcohol and other drugs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Weak people with weak minds ruin their own life. Blaming it on a drug is like blaming the government for having a **** job, your own actions and determination as a human counter weigh what any influence or addiction a commodity can place upon you, and for the record alcohol is a recreational drug, do you want that made illegal? Does Alcohol ruin every life?
    yes i know that alcohol is a recreational drug, no where i my post did i say i wanted every rec. drug made illegal. yes, 'weak people with weak minds' ruin their lives but have you heard of addiction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    yes i know that alcohol is a recreational drug, no where i my post did i say i wanted every rec. drug made illegal. yes, 'weak people with weak minds' ruin their lives but have you heard of addiction?
    No i have never heard of addiction despite mentioning it in my post :rolleyes:

So as you want a drug which is medicinally speaking worse than cannabis to remain legal yet cannabis to be and always be illegal as it 'ruins lives', i put to you, you have sweet **** all logic/reasoning to back that up.

ReputationRep:
    I love how some people come on a thread just to argue and demine everything others have said. Sigh.

(Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    But alcohol and cigarettes are both mentally AND physically addictive, with the latter one being the really dangerous one.

Marijuana is only mentally addictive, so it's in the same class as a really fun video game like world of warcraft.

ReputationRep:
    Just letting you know I dont personally smoke cannabis
    LOL, that's alright, don't worry I wasn't judging you :p: Good luck with your project :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    i think its ridiculous that the government can control what we do with our own bodies anyway. if people wanna smoke weed or whatever that's their business, its not for anyone else to decide that its "bad for them", like we're all children. Well unfortunately it currently IS for someone else to decide, but it shouldn't be. meh.
    I sense a fellow libertarian. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I say yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by assmaster)
    "Damage your life" =! kill people.

On a side note, if anyone has an argument for cannabis that isn't "but, but, but... alcohol is WORSE!", I'd love to hear it.

To answer the OP, if it was used medicinally, this would need strict regulation. You may want to look up this guy who believes LSD can be used in psychiatry, and a lot of the points he makes could be used in your argument for cannabis to be used in hospitals.
    an argument for weed? how about it's a plant?! how on earth a plant can be made illegal i have no idea!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Im starting a project about whether Cannabis should be legalised, so that it can be use to treat MS sufferers. I would really appreciate your opinions, fors and against, personal experiences ect.

Thankyou!
    It should be legal.

Its effects are not proven to be as bad as alcohol..

So either ban alcohol or legalize the herb!

(im not saying all the hydro strains etc. but the purer/weaker strains should be considered!)

ReputationRep:
    I think legalising would have its benefits and drawbacks. Even if it's not comercially legalised, I think that it should be more readily available on a medical basis, as it can relieve pain and help to deal with stress. But in many ways a lot of 'stoners' would prefer it to stay illegal, as the prices would stay low.
    From the government's point of view, it could benefit them a great deal if it were legalised in my opinion, firstly because of taxes, and also because it could resolve a lot of crime issues.
    I do smoke weed occasionally, and I suppose it would make me feel better about doing it if it were legal, but then as I mentioned before, the prices would rise and it's not exactly hard to get hold of now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleurgh)
    I think legalising would have its benefits and drawbacks. Even if it's not comercially legalised, I think that it should be more readily available on a medical basis, as it can relieve pain and help to deal with stress. But in many ways a lot of 'stoners' would prefer it to stay illegal, as the prices would stay low.
    From the government's point of view, it could benefit them a great deal if it were legalised in my opinion, firstly because of taxes, and also because it could resolve a lot of crime issues.
    I do smoke weed occasionally, and I suppose it would make me feel better about doing it if it were legal, but then as I mentioned before, the prices would rise and it's not exactly hard to get hold of now.
    Just wondering where you got this from, because I've not met a single stoner ever who didn't think it should be legal? Other than you that is.

Like I said earlier, do loads of people grow tobacco or make their own alcohol (outside of Russia) in order to avoid the massive taxes on these substances?

Personally, if I smoked weed, which I don't, I'd prefer to smoke something I know doesn't have crap added to it, that the quality is of a good standard, I'd prefer not to be criminalised for my choices and I would be prepared to pay extra in order to have this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Just wondering where you got this from, because I've not met a single stoner ever who didn't think it should be legal? Other than you that is.

Like I said earlier, do loads of people grow tobacco or make their own alcohol (outside of Russia) in order to avoid the massive taxes on these substances?

Personally, if I smoked weed, which I don't, I'd prefer to smoke something I know doesn't have crap added to it, that the quality is of a good standard, I'd prefer not to be criminalised for my choices and I would be prepared to pay extra in order to have this.
    Lol well we've discussed this high, and at first thought it's like yeeehhh woo make it legal, but then when we looked into it further we kinda came to the conclusion that we'd prefer it to stay illegal. Maybe our group are just odd, we too have had a lot of people disagree.

(Original post by Bleurgh)
    Lol well we've discussed this high, and at first thought it's like yeeehhh woo make it legal, but then when we looked into it further we kinda came to the conclusion that we'd prefer it to stay illegal. Maybe our group are just odd, we too have had a lot of people disagree.
    I would definitely pay more simply to have it out in the open, socially accepted by all people, can be outdoors and be stoned and not think like "ah man my eyes are red, I have £8 worth of crisps in my arms and there's a policeman right behind me" ...

Not to mention that you could choose whatever variety of weed you like, I am sick of this skunk crap that just makes people really tired. I love the older style of weed which just gives you active thoughts, makes you happy, makes you want to talk about things. I find skunk doesn't even give me the munchies for crying out loud - what kind of weed is that? Terrible weed, thats what that is, and if I need to pay £25 for good stuff rather than £20 for crap, so be it.

Though in reality I would just buy some good seeds, grow it myself; and then it's dead cheap.

ReputationRep:
    It should be legal, no questions asked.

Making it legal would:

- Cut a huge amount of street crime. It is so easy to earn a reasonable living by selling pot, were it to be made legal, thousands of street level dealers, and the problems that come with them, would be eradicated.

- Save hundreds of thousands of wasted police hours, giving the limited police forces much more time to focus on more serious problems - the yob culture on our streets especially.

- Stop huge amounts of young people having criminal records (which, in this climate, makes it next to impossible to get a decent job, and limits many other aspects of life) for nothing more than carrying a gram of herbs. And then, surprise surprise, they return to crime, as it is much easier than fighting their limiting record.

- Earn huge amounts of tax money for the government. A few people on this thread have argued that weed would be more expensive if it were legalized - really? Think how cheaply the government could mass produce it - ensuring its quality, compared to its illegal cultivation. They could slap a 90% tax on it and it would still probably be cheaper than it is now. Not to mention they could create a whole bunch of jobs and help the unemployment crisis.

However ideal its legislation would be, I think we should be realistic - decriminalization is the best we could hope for, and even thats a long shot. It has been upgraded to Class B - yep, more illegal than Ketamine, a ******* horse tranquilizer - and for the government to subside and decriminalize it would appear to be admitting how wrong they are - making it more unlikely. Also, I'm not sure making such a huge deal out of legalizing it would be such a good idea - there might be fears of the reaction if it were.

But yeah, very pro-legislation.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it should be legal; the government is wasting a ton of money on trying to clamp down on cannabis dealers, because they're pretty much everywhere, and if someone smokes it once in a while, they can easily get hold of someone selling it. Secondly, if it was legalised the government could tax a shedload on it anyway, just like with cigarettes, oh, and we'd get some more jobs in too - so they'd already make a start to this country's debt. It would also mean less street crime, young people are less prone to attacks from drug dealers over whatever reason, so it would be a safer place. It will also mean people who take it won't be poisoned with any dangerous added substances or bits of lead or glass or whatever they're putting in it these days, so it'd be healthier for any takers too. It's also nothing compared to the dangers of alcohol or tobacco, so going by the 'whether or not it's an unhealthy and dangerous drug' rule, aslong as alcohol and tobacco are still legal, I see no reason as to why cannabis shouldn't be.

The only reason people would object is because they've had this 'don't do drugs' thing hammered into their minds since being a child, without actually understanding what the drug is and does.

So legalising it will be beneficial to pretty much all of society, and the government. Aslong as I see alcohol being available I don't see why cannabis shouldn't.

I'm bored so I'm going to linger around this thread like a bad smell.

For MS sufferers, legalising cannabis would obviously be welcome because it makes them feel better. No need to limit this to MS though; there are all kinds of medicinal qualities to marijuana - I've even heard a doctor say that he can't think of any other plant in existence that has more medicinal quality than cannabis. Apparently there are around 200 conditions that respond favourably to it.

For addicts it's also preferable, though remember that cannabis is only mentally addictive and not physically addictive, so ultimately only sheer willpower is ever needed to combat cannabis addiction. The benefit for them of legalisation is the attitude of society, it becomes about an open policy on drugs which means addicts don't feel outcast and they do feel like they could ask for help and treatment. In Portugal drugs have been decriminalised for a decade now and the number of people putting themselves in for drug treatment has doubled; and the number of people using drugs overall has decreased. In drugs education at schools the teachers could take the approach of "well it's legal yes, but here are the dangers to it..." and then let people make their own informed decision just like with alcohol; scare tactics clearly don't work when half the population have admitted to trying marijuana at sometime in their lives. Plus the cannabis available would be untampered with, and it wouldn't be strong strains of skunk - being an addict under prohibition is worse than being an addict under legalisation because prohibition makes the drugs themselves more dangerous.

As for the children; again half the population have tried cannabis anyway, how many more could it possibly be? It's freely available and a child could get hold of it if they wanted to - in fact, because of the nature of the black market and its lack of regulation; there is no age vertification required. A drug dealer wont check for ID, they'll check for some money, that's all they want and care about. In contrast, if legal, shops selling marijuana would have a lisence - and if they sold to a minor they would lose that lisence and lose their business and profits. Studies in America have shown that children actually find it easier these days to get hold of cannabis, than to get hold of weed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    For example I wouldn't say this about ecstasy, it just seems far more of a mature, adult drug to take than cannabis. But as I said, it's not my place to stop people doing what they like with themselves
    That really is a silly thing to say.

There are no mature and sensible drugs to take. Drugs are illegal because they make our economy less productive, by causing people physical and mental harm.

Okay, some people like to do weed every now and then for a buzz. This is not a big worry for society. It is the people with addictive personalities which will get hooked and not fulfill their working potential.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.