Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for legalising cannabis for any use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    That really is a silly thing to say.

There are no mature and sensible drugs to take. Drugs are illegal because they make our economy less productive, by causing people physical and mental harm.

Okay, some people like to do weed every now and then for a buzz. This is not a big worry for society. It is the people with addictive personalities which will get hooked and not fulfill their working potential.
    And alcohol/cigarettes/red meat/Big Brother don't?

It is a fact that regulating the drugs trade will significantly improve the quality of drugs and also lower rates of abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    I sense a fellow libertarian. :yes:
    yup! tbh im a bit sick of arguing the point though, since most people just agree that "its damaging to people therefore it must be stopped!", it's horrendous that society let this happen! but what can you do...
    (ps. i dont even like weed that much, it IS just the principle! :mad:)

ReputationRep:
    For medicinal purposes, yes, as long as it's regulated. Personally, I don't think legalising it would make much of a difference. No-one ever gets arrested for it anyway, except the worst dealers. I'd feel quite uneasy though, if cannabis was going to be sold regularly in corner shops. Whether this is due to some instilled societal moral I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    And alcohol/cigarettes/red meat/Big Brother don't?

It is a fact that regulating the drugs trade will significantly improve the quality of drugs and also lower rates of abuse.
    I am not denying that they lower our productivity. There would be benefits to legallising weed, but only for medical purposes.

It is important that children are brought up believing (as I believe they do about smoking tobacco) it is wrong, and that they shouldnt do it.

It would definately not lower rates of drug abuse.

If smoking was illegal:-

25% of the adult population would not smoke.
    The average amount per day would not be 14.

They have already taken steps to limit the social aspects of smoking to discourage people from doing it. To legallise a drug, such as marajuana, which is predominantly smoked, would go against many of the policies they are trying to use in order to discourage things, such as drug taking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    yup! tbh im a bit sick of arguing the point though, since most people just agree that "its damaging to people therefore it must be stopped!", it's horrendous that society let this happen! but what can you do...
    (ps. i dont even like weed that much, it IS just the principle! :mad:)
    Same with me, I don't care for smoking it but the current legislation is totally illogical if you don't consider the government's genuine greedy and monopolistic motives.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the point of legalising weed man?? they should legalise ecstacy and crack instead

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    For medicinal purposes, yes, as long as it's regulated. Personally, I don't think legalising it would make much of a difference. No-one ever gets arrested for it anyway, except the worst dealers. I'd feel quite uneasy though, if cannabis was going to be sold regularly in corner shops. Whether this is due to some instilled societal moral I don't know.
    If you don't want it sold in corner shops then have special coffee shops that you only go into for that one reason; that's fine by me. I hate hanging around people who aren't high when I am anyways, they really kill the mood. :emo:

And ok I don't get arrested, but first of all I am apparently a criminal and I resent that as a matter of principle. Secondly it means I do need to be slightly concerned at university etc just in case I get that crazy police officer who kicks me out because of it or something, thirdly you do quite often get people who have anti-drugs crap hammared into them so far, that they'll actually dislike you because you smoke marijuana.

Most importantly, and lastly, it means I am often forced to use skunk which is too strong and not that pleasant at all. Whenever you hear someone say "I tried weed and it wasnt even that good, it just made me tired", assume they did skunk - its a pile of crap. But if legal, then good types of weed would be available, the types that make people euphoric and giggley and chatty, and have a really good and peaceful time. I don't think people should have that denyed to them for seemingly no reason; this threads still not thrown up one convincing reason to criminalise weed.

(Original post by robinson999)
    i'll support making weed legal

Shouldn't you support the liberal democrats rather than labour, as a rather irrelevant aside?

ReputationRep:
    I am not denying that they lower our productivity. There would be benefits to legallising weed, but only for medical purposes.

It is important that children are brought up believing (as I believe they do about smoking tobacco) it is wrong, and that they shouldnt do it.

It would definitely not lower rates of drug abuse.

They have already taken steps to limit the social aspects of smoking to discourage people from doing it. To legallise a drug, such as marajuana, which is predominantly smoked, would go against many of the policies they are trying to use in order to discourage things, such as drug taking.
    Of course it should be discouraged, that's why I'd advocate taxing it highly as well as the prevention we use toward smoking. But leaving it in the hands of criminals is not a good idea either.

ReputationRep:

It would definitely not lower rates of drug abuse.

Compared to the European Union and the U.S., Portugal's drug use numbers are impressive. Following decriminalization, Portugal had the lowest rate of lifetime marijuana use in people over 15 in the E.U.: 10%. The most comparable figure in America is in people over 12: 39.8%. Proportionally, more Americans have used cocaine than Portuguese have used marijuana.

The Cato paper reports that between 2001 and 2006 in Portugal, rates of lifetime use of any illegal drug among seventh through ninth graders fell from 14.1% to 10.6%; drug use in older teens also declined.

Yet America has the highest rates of cocaine and marijuana use in the world, and while most of the E.U. (including Holland) has more liberal drug laws than the U.S., it also has less drug use.

The Cato report's author, Greenwald, hews to the first point: that the data shows that decriminalization does not result in increased drug use.

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...893946,00.html

ReputationRep:
    Most people against legalization don't realise how underwhelming most cannabis is as a drug, It seems to me that most people who haven't tried it get the impression it's like smoking opium. Though it will make you lose your short term memory after too much abuse.

ReputationRep:
    Why the govt. haven't legalised it yet is beyond me. We already have legal production in the UK, we know the health risks are low compared to alcohol, we all know they could make a shed load of tax and it'd break down a large number of criminal networks. It's pure idiocy and ignorance that has stopped the legalisation of cannabis. I sincerely hope that one day it will be legal.

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be legalised because it is virtually harmless, that is, no where near as harmful as alcohol or cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Well, it would. I'd rather be able to nip to the shops and get some rather than having to wait around for apathetic, cretinous dealers. I'd rather be able to choose from a range of quality produce as you can in Amsterdam rather than the bog standard **** I have to put up with sometimes that's been sprayed with Christ knows what. I'd rather not run the risk of being prosecuted because I like good old Mary Jane. Lastly, I'd rather not finance the amoral Vietnamese criminal organisations who produce a great deal of this country's cannabis crop. Taking this all into consideration I'd rather it was legalised.
    is that a fact lol

(Original post by robinson999)
    i do disagree with labour drug policy, moving cannabis up to a class B, against some very good advice was crazy, it's why they need a kick up the ass, lib dems for i like some off the stuff, with the drugs stand, and other issues, not all off it, but they could make a good government, only trouble for me is my area, i like my local labour party, plus old labour pretty fun at times , they have done a great deal in this borough, given that they have been in only party to run this borough since London Government Act 1963, the lib dems are well dead, they don't hold a councillors, so don't do much, same with the tories here they hold 2 seats, its a shame that the BNP are the 2nd largest party

as well as the 2 MP's in the borough are labour safe seat, so safe they need about a 30% swing

sounds like i'm selling my self to a party just because they win:p: i do like my local labour party, they do well, and do a hell of a lot
    On social issues lib dems beat labour hands down; it's not just with cannabis, but also warfare, 42 days, ID cards, rights to protest. I would feel more free under a liberal government than under labour.

It sounds like your local area still pretends that they're old labour, people need to realise that new labour is basically conservative. Though if the BNP are second, the dangers of letting the second party in are pretty grave. But that again is down to the failures of old labour; there was a thread about labour creating the rise of the BNP. But meh, I personally would go with lib dems if I were you, it's upto you though obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I would definitely pay more simply to have it out in the open, socially accepted by all people, can be outdoors and be stoned and not think like "ah man my eyes are red, I have £8 worth of crisps in my arms and there's a policeman right behind me" ...

Not to mention that you could choose whatever variety of weed you like, I am sick of this skunk crap that just makes people really tired. I love the older style of weed which just gives you active thoughts, makes you happy, makes you want to talk about things. I find skunk doesn't even give me the munchies for crying out loud - what kind of weed is that? Terrible weed, thats what that is, and if I need to pay £25 for good stuff rather than £20 for crap, so be it.

Though in reality I would just buy some good seeds, grow it myself; and then it's dead cheap.
    Yeah I see your point... it would considerably lower the inevitable paranoia.
    I think I've been pretty lucky really, never had a bad draw. But then I'm kinda a weed n00b, only been smoking it about a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    You've ventured into the wrong forum I'm afraid. Click here to find people more suited to your levels of wit and intellectual prowess.
    please dont be one of those people who try to give themselves an ego boost by trying to start an argument over the internet with someone you dont even know. does anyone really give a flying **** . it is really ANNOYING

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    Did you get the idea from Family Guy? :P

IMO, I don't think it should because I can't see any point to it at all. I.E. If someone has to smoke it to have a good time then they must be Victor Meldrew to begin with. Either that or seriously mislead.

Also it's expensive, can do long term damage.
    Why is it the states right to decide if a citizen does damage to their health?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    Why is it the states right to decide if a citizen does damage to their health?
    Why's it a bad thing if they want to prevent harm?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.