Train robber Biggs wins freedom. Is that right? Watch

Mr Advice
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/8188479.stm

Is this right? Yes, he is old and perhaps near to death, but he has not served his sentence, plus broke out of prison and avoided arrest by migrating to Brazil, thus further breaking the law.

Can his release be justified?

ps. I have nothing agaisnt the guy. Just want to start a debate on this issue.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He's 79, in bad health and poses no further threat to society. Yes, he's unrepentant, but so are a lot of criminals who get let out. The only thing achieved by keeping him in jail is a further drain on money and resources.
Redefined
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No it isn't
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nope not right at all. Just because he's old and sick doesn't mean he should get off. Shows what a joke the judiciary system in Britain is, get sick or old and you get let out. That's in the rare instance that you get a sentence long enough to get old during.
BrinnyUnlimited
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's sickening to be honest.

He fled to Brazil or wherever to live the high life on his ill gotten gains, finally returns to the UK, spends a few years in jail and is then let out again because he's ill.

He make a mockery of the justice system, imo. The worst thing is he's been totally unrepentant about his crime throughout, going so far as to brag about how he escaped justice by fleeing the country.
King4eva
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
why do you achieve by keeping an old man who poses no threat to the society in jail ? waste of resources
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ffs, people complaining about expenses, yet they want someone who doesn't need to be in prison to drain its resources. :rolleyes:
necessarily benevolent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He's a bit of a legend tbh
Olivia_Lightbulb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is little point in keeping him in prison; it is better to show a modicum of mercy rather than embarking on a futile and morally ambiguous endeavour to keep him in prison, at great expense to the taxpayer.
Cobbïns31770
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
This :yes:
Turdburger
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
There is little point in keeping him in prison; it is better to show a modicum of mercy rather than embarking on a futile and morally ambiguous endeavour to keep him in prison, at great expense to the taxpayer.
Wow ive found something I agree with you on.
Mr Advice
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by King4eva)
why do you achieve by keeping an old man who poses no threat to the society in jail ? waste of resources
So, why don't we release other 80 yr-olds in prison? Why only Biggs?
Altruistic1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
He's 79, in bad health and poses no further threat to society. Yes, he's unrepentant, but so are a lot of criminals who get let out. The only thing achieved by keeping him in jail is a further drain on money and resources.
This. Pretty sure I remember a policeman saying it costs the country around £100 to keep someone in jail overnight.. No, I'd rather he gets let out and pays for his own home, food and whatever... I'd hope that he feels so used to prison he finds it hard to adapt.
JCM89
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
He's no risk to society and releasing him is the humane thing to do. In his place I suggest they lock up the loan shark who was charging loans at rates of 2,500% and who got a suspended sentence this week.
Banburyhammer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well he is, for all intents and purposes, on his deathbed. Yes, in principle, his action and him wholly unrepentant nature mean its probably wrong that he gets lets out free, but come on.
The real issue is the inadequate sentances being handed out and served due to ridiculous legislation and and the lack of prison cells needed to commit people to meaningful penal sentences.

EDIT: Case and point.

(Original post by JCM89)
He's no risk to society and releasing him is the humane thing to do. In his place I suggest they lock up the loan shark who was charging loans at rates of 2,500% and who got a suspended sentence this week.
one2three_abc
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
:ditto:

The guy deserves respect for what he managed to do and evade the numerous kidnap attempts wherever he went, his life of 'luxury' wasn't that luxurious. Plus, he didn't really do much in the robbery, he was just there to make up the numbers.
littleshambles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't really care tbh. This is going to get laboured, but the guy is 79.

(Original post by Mr Advice)
So, why don't we release other 80 yr-olds in prison? Why only Biggs?
Don't we? Proportion of the prison population that is over 65? Proportion of that proportion that is released from prison? Just because we don't hear about every prison release doesn't mean they don't happen.
anoif_
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, let him out, waste of money.
On a kind of related note - Leatherslade Farm where the train robbers hid was near where I used to live :yes:
Annie72
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No it isnt right but this guy is almost 80 and probably weeks from death. What harm is he going to do to society at his age?.
Kittennffc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No it isn't right. Just because he's old and ill doesn't mean he shouldn't serve his sentence. I'm sure there are loads of prisoners in the same state but don't get released early.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (172)
18.59%
No (560)
60.54%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.86%

Watched Threads