Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Train robber Biggs wins freedom. Is that right? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/8188479.stm

Is this right? Yes, he is old and perhaps near to death, but he has not served his sentence, plus broke out of prison and avoided arrest by migrating to Brazil, thus further breaking the law.

Can his release be justified?

ps. I have nothing agaisnt the guy. Just want to start a debate on this issue.

ReputationRep:
    He's 79, in bad health and poses no further threat to society. Yes, he's unrepentant, but so are a lot of criminals who get let out. The only thing achieved by keeping him in jail is a further drain on money and resources.

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't

ReputationRep:
    Nope not right at all. Just because he's old and sick doesn't mean he should get off. Shows what a joke the judiciary system in Britain is, get sick or old and you get let out. That's in the rare instance that you get a sentence long enough to get old during.

ReputationRep:
    It's sickening to be honest.

He fled to Brazil or wherever to live the high life on his ill gotten gains, finally returns to the UK, spends a few years in jail and is then let out again because he's ill.

He make a mockery of the justice system, imo. The worst thing is he's been totally unrepentant about his crime throughout, going so far as to brag about how he escaped justice by fleeing the country.

ReputationRep:
    why do you achieve by keeping an old man who poses no threat to the society in jail ? waste of resources

ReputationRep:
    Ffs, people complaining about expenses, yet they want someone who doesn't need to be in prison to drain its resources. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    He's a bit of a legend tbh

ReputationRep:
    There is little point in keeping him in prison; it is better to show a modicum of mercy rather than embarking on a futile and morally ambiguous endeavour to keep him in prison, at great expense to the taxpayer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    This :yes:

(Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    There is little point in keeping him in prison; it is better to show a modicum of mercy rather than embarking on a futile and morally ambiguous endeavour to keep him in prison, at great expense to the taxpayer.
    Wow ive found something I agree with you on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    why do you achieve by keeping an old man who poses no threat to the society in jail ? waste of resources
    So, why don't we release other 80 yr-olds in prison? Why only Biggs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    He's 79, in bad health and poses no further threat to society. Yes, he's unrepentant, but so are a lot of criminals who get let out. The only thing achieved by keeping him in jail is a further drain on money and resources.
    This. Pretty sure I remember a policeman saying it costs the country around £100 to keep someone in jail overnight.. No, I'd rather he gets let out and pays for his own home, food and whatever... I'd hope that he feels so used to prison he finds it hard to adapt.

He's no risk to society and releasing him is the humane thing to do. In his place I suggest they lock up the loan shark who was charging loans at rates of 2,500% and who got a suspended sentence this week.

ReputationRep:
    Well he is, for all intents and purposes, on his deathbed. Yes, in principle, his action and him wholly unrepentant nature mean its probably wrong that he gets lets out free, but come on.
    The real issue is the inadequate sentances being handed out and served due to ridiculous legislation and and the lack of prison cells needed to commit people to meaningful penal sentences.

EDIT: Case and point.

(Original post by JCM89)
    He's no risk to society and releasing him is the humane thing to do. In his place I suggest they lock up the loan shark who was charging loans at rates of 2,500% and who got a suspended sentence this week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    :ditto:

The guy deserves respect for what he managed to do and evade the numerous kidnap attempts wherever he went, his life of 'luxury' wasn't that luxurious. Plus, he didn't really do much in the robbery, he was just there to make up the numbers.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care tbh. This is going to get laboured, but the guy is 79.

(Original post by Mr Advice)
    So, why don't we release other 80 yr-olds in prison? Why only Biggs?
    Don't we? Proportion of the prison population that is over 65? Proportion of that proportion that is released from prison? Just because we don't hear about every prison release doesn't mean they don't happen.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, let him out, waste of money.
    On a kind of related note - Leatherslade Farm where the train robbers hid was near where I used to live :yes:

ReputationRep:
    No it isnt right but this guy is almost 80 and probably weeks from death. What harm is he going to do to society at his age?.

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't right. Just because he's old and ill doesn't mean he shouldn't serve his sentence. I'm sure there are loads of prisoners in the same state but don't get released early.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.