Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Train robber Biggs wins freedom. Is that right? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    So, why don't we release other 80 yr-olds in prison? Why only Biggs?
    because other 80 yr-olds could still pose a threat ...e.g: paedophiles

ReputationRep:
    What's going to happen to him when he comes out? Will he just be left to his own devices? Will he be helped with hospice costs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    What's going to happen to him when he comes out? Will he just be left to his own devices? Will he be helped with hospice costs?
    Well according to both Sky and BBC news, he wont be coming out. He is seriously ill in hospital with Pnuemonia, hes not expected to recover from it either say the doctors looking after him. He cant walk, barely communicate and is fed via a tube in his stomach.Basically hes been freed to die.

ReputationRep:
    He is legend.

A Hero in my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    Who is he going to harm at his age?!

He'll be dead in a matter of time anyway spent most of his life in prison, and he's ill

ReputationRep:
    So if a guy kills some people and gets sent to jail for "life" but gets an infection and has to have all his limbs amputated, but is otherwise of sound health/mind, should he be released from jail on the grounds that he can no longer harm anybody?

ReputationRep:
    Nowadays people get lighter sentences for murder or carrying a weapon

If he done that crime now he proberly wouldnt even go to prison, it's just because it was so bad at that time

He is very ill and quite old, no longer a threat to society. It also costs a lot to keep prisoners

It makes sense to realease him

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt that he is going to rob another train whilst attached to his bed by a feeding tube.

Besides, I don't get why his sentence was 30 years or something. You can kill someone and get half that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    Who is he going to harm at his age?!

He'll be dead in a matter of time anyway spent most of his life in prison, and he's ill
    Actually he was sentenced in 1963, escaped in 1965 and returned in 2001. So not a huge amount of his life in prison.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Nope not right at all. Just because he's old and sick doesn't mean he should get off. Shows what a joke the judiciary system in Britain is, get sick or old and you get let out. That's in the rare instance that you get a sentence long enough to get old during.
    Agreed totally.

If prison is to be a deterrent it MUST be something to be feared. And nobody sensible will claim where a bunch of criminals are put together and given relatively adequate lifestyles and a place to congregate is one for rehabilitation. Infact, the fact that so many criminals are repeat offenders from prison disproves that part of prison sentencing. If it isn't a rehabilitator, it can atleast be a deterrent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Well according to both Sky and BBC news, he wont be coming out. He is seriously ill in hospital with Pnuemonia, hes not expected to recover from it either say the doctors looking after him. He cant walk, barely communicate and is fed via a tube in his stomach.Basically hes been freed to die.
    Aww.
    I'm still split though. Dying with your family beside you in the manner you want is a luxury many don't get. Perhaps that should be part of his punishment.

Nope not right at all. Just because he's old and sick doesn't mean he should get off. Shows what a joke the judiciary system in Britain is, get sick or old and you get let out. That's in the rare instance that you get a sentence long enough to get old during.
    If he's dying, what is the purpose of keeping him in prison?

(Original post by Lefty Leo)
    If it isn't a rehabilitator, it can atleast be a deterrent!
    Why should its primary role be either rehabilitation or deterrence?

ReputationRep:
    Please lock this thread, it's full of hatred towards a very ill, old man. It's appalling. :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)

Why was he in prison to start with? If it was entirely rehabilitation and a psychiatrist said he was fine to be let out a year after he was arrested, you'd agree it's fine to let him out? Same for a murderer I guess?

ReputationRep:
    It rather depends on what you believe to be the justice system's main objective.

If you believe that it is there to punish people, then no, it isn't right that he's been let out. He should serve the rest of his sentence.

Others believe that it is there to protect people. In this case, yes you might as well let him out. Being in the situation that he is, he's hardly going to pose a threat.

Some believe that the justice system is there to deter others from committing crime. However, a lot of the time this simply doesn't work. Most people steal because they don't have a lot of choice, and threatening them with jail time is hardly going to stop them doing it. Let him out.

However, some people believe (like myself) that the main priority of the justice system is that of rehabilitation. To help people change in a way that will not only better themselves, but also benefit the rest of society. At this point, there is little that can be done for Biggs, and keeping him inside is just a drain on resources. Let him out, and allow him his final time as a free man. I cannot imagine anything more awful than dying in prison.

Aww.
    I'm still split though. Dying with your family beside you in the manner you want is a luxury many don't get. Perhaps that should be part of his punishment.
    Good one, punishing the rest of the family for one man's crimes.

(Original post by Kolya)

Well, that's one of the three stated roles of prisons: rehabilitation, deterrence, punishment ( i think?).

ReputationRep:
    of course it is right. He is a dying old man who poses no threat to anyone and his time on earth in coming to a ever approaching and near end. If freeing a man who poses no threat to try and enjoy his last days is a bad thing then there is something not right.

Nursing Home near his sons house.

Why was he in prison to start with? If it was entirely rehabilitation and a psychiatrist said he was fine to be let out a year after he was arrested, you'd agree it's fine to let him out? Same for a murderer I guess?
    That's rather by-the-by. He was in prison because he committed robbery. I don't see that releasing a bed-ridden, tube-fed man who's had multiple strokes and has pneumonia, says all that much about the British judicial system. Whether he is inside or outside prison is irrelevant to the population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    That's rather by-the-by. He was in prison because he committed robbery. I don't see that releasing a bed-ridden, tube-fed man who's had multiple strokes and has pneumonia, says all that much about the British judicial system. Whether he is inside or outside prison is irrelevant to the population.
    So was he there for rehabilitation or punishment? if the latter surely he shouldn't have been let out, if the former then surely after a year he could go free on the condition mentioned in my previous post.

(Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Well, that's one of the three stated roles of prisons: rehabilitation, deterrence, punishment ( i think?).
    What about protection of the public? In the case of Biggs, neither rehabilitation, nor deterrence, nor protection of the public, are served by him being in prison.

So was he there for rehabilitation or punishment? if the latter surely he shouldn't have been let out, if the former then surely after a year he could go free on the condition mentioned in my previous post.
    Well, it's not clear what the motivation for him being in prison was. He only went to prison because he wanted medical treatment. There's some question as to whether rehabilitation or retribution are particularly appropriate goals for imprisoning an old man for a robbery he committed 40 years ago.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.