Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whos read A thousand splendid suns? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Read it and loved it, although it did make me cry a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I loved it - so powerful. Although, same thoughts as with the Kite Runner, that at times it seemed as he was being overly manipulative of your emoitions

ReputationRep:
    Personally found the Kite Runner better.... but that doesn't mean A thousand splendid suns is any bad. Very well written.... very emotional too if you actually read it properly. =)

ReputationRep:
    Umm I'm going to be controversial and say I really didn't like it. I thought the author was just making horrific things happen to make the story more interesting because he couldn't do it any other way. Fair enough horrible things happen but there was literally something shocking happening at the end of each chapter (and there were a lot of chapters). In that sense it was actually quite predictable and its not an enjoyable read. Its slightly enlightening culturally but personally I want to be able to relate to the characters a bit more than I could. I want to learn something from a book about life and I dont think I learn anything from this book other than 'life can be horrific', but I knew that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I read it after The Kite Runner, and thought the former was slightly better. Was still a very good read, though.

ReputationRep:
    I read it last year and loved it. Moving and intruiging, because I hadn't read any books set in that particular place and time before... I've got Kite Runner on my list of wanna-reads, hoping I'll get around to it soon!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.