Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Up for some games online?

ReputationRep:
    I have a question. Does this new Motion Plus accurately portray your movements on screen? I mean, is it what we all thought the Wii would be when it was first released?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathill)
    I have a question. Does this new Motion Plus accurately portray your movements on screen? I mean, is it what we all thought the Wii would be when it was first released?
    Errm, kind of...
    I think EA have slightly messed up with this game since Wii Sports Resort does a much better job at accurately portraying your motions.

In WSR the table tennis is awesome because you can see how slight movements in your arm affect the way your in game paddle is held. You can have some fantastic rallies where you are curving the ball by the way you would naturally hit the ball, you have to play it to see really.

Now when it comes to Grand Slam, there are some issues. Apparently the game expects you to return your Wii Remote to a flat position after you serve/hit the ball so that it can recalibrate. If you don't, sometimes the character in the game starts holding the racquet in arbitrary positions based on how you held the Wii Remote after a serve/hit. This doesn't happen all the time, but it is pretty annoying at crucial moments. Now, WSR got round this by allowing you to press down on the D-Pad to reset/calibrate manually whenever you felt like the M+ wasn't working correctly, however in Grand Slam you are supposed to hold the Wii Remote still for two seconds for it to recalibrate (which doesn't seem to work too well).

Apart from that though it feels great because unlike the original Wii Tennis which relied solely on timing for shot placement, with Grand Slam there's timing and followthrough (which takes a while to get used to as you can't use flicks of the wrist to return shots).

There's a game in WSR which shows how accurate the M+ is, if you play the archery game, you'll notice your view shaking ever so slightly due to your hand shaking whilst you are holding the Wii Remote vertically, (in a more comfortable position, and the Wii Sensor bar isn't helping it detect motion).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    Errm, kind of...
    I think EA have slightly messed up with this game since Wii Sports Resort does a much better job at accurately portraying your motions.

In WSR the table tennis is awesome because you can see how slight movements in your arm affect the way your in game paddle is held. You can have some fantastic rallies where you are curving the ball by the way you would naturally hit the ball, you have to play it to see really.

Now when it comes to Grand Slam, there are some issues. Apparently the game expects you to return your Wii Remote to a flat position after you serve/hit the ball so that it can recalibrate. If you don't, sometimes the character in the game starts holding the racquet in arbitrary positions based on how you held the Wii Remote after a serve/hit. This doesn't happen all the time, but it is pretty annoying at crucial moments. Now, WSR got round this by allowing you to press down on the D-Pad to reset/calibrate manually whenever you felt like the M+ wasn't working correctly, however in Grand Slam you are supposed to hold the Wii Remote still for two seconds for it to recalibrate (which doesn't seem to work too well).

Apart from that though it feels great because unlike the original Wii Tennis which relied solely on timing for shot placement, with Grand Slam there's timing and followthrough (which takes a while to get used to as you can't use flicks of the wrist to return shots).

There's a game in WSR which shows how accurate the M+ is, if you play the archery game, you'll notice your view shaking ever so slightly due to your hand shaking whilst you are holding the Wii Remote vertically, (in a more comfortable position, and the Wii Sensor bar isn't helping it detect motion).
    Very nice response. It seems that the Wii is indeed going along the lines that were expected - but isn't quite there yet.

I mean, the one thing that I can't wait for is a GOOD Star Wars game, where you can own with a light-sabre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathill)
    Very nice response. It seems that the Wii is indeed going along the lines that were expected - but isn't quite there yet.

I mean, the one thing that I can't wait for is a GOOD Star Wars game, where you can own with a light-sabre.
    Yeap, I can't believe they haven't been able to make a Star Wars game with good lightsaber mechanics. They could have even made one based on gestures instead of proper motions before the M+, and if they can't get simple motion controls working properly, how the hell are they going to make a decent one with even more complex data being thrown at them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    Yeap, I can't believe they haven't been able to make a Star Wars game with good lightsaber mechanics. They could have even made one based on gestures instead of proper motions before the M+, and if they can't get simple motion controls working properly, how the hell are they going to make a decent one with even more complex data being thrown at them.
    *sigh*

Just imagine how much money they could make from a decent star wars Wii game.

Silly.

ReputationRep:
    online screen name : hoot08

add me on the buddy thingy,

i play online every night between 11pm - 1am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rishi08)
    online screen name : hoot08

add me on the buddy thingy,

i play online every night between 11pm - 1am
    added you

ReputationRep:
    yer i got it, but ur never online!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 18, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.